Day 3, Thursday, July 26- Orcas Island
Day 4, Friday, July 27 - go to Victoria
Day 5, Saturday, July 28- Victoria
Day 6, Sunday, July 29-Vancouver
Day 7, Monday, July 30-Vancouver
Day 8 Tuesday drive from Vancouver to Seattle airport. Flight out is 4:30
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 05:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What questions do you have? Presumably you're aware that getting from Orcas to Victoria requires two ferries, one from Orcas to Friday Harbor (San Juan Island) and then the international boat to Sidney BC, which requires you to take an early morning boat from Orcas to give time to connect. Also presumably you've got accommodations booked already.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, Some of my post didn’t get sent.
Day 1, Tuesday, July 24- flying into Seattle ferry to Orcas Island
Day 2, Wednesday, July 25- Orcas Island (any suggestions for San Juan Island excursions would be greatly appreciated)
Day 3, Thursday, July 26- Orcas Island
Day 4, Friday, July 27 - go to Victoria
Day 5, Saturday, July 28- Victoria
Day 6, Sunday, July 29-Vancouver
Day 7, Monday, July 30-Vancouver
Day 8 Tuesday drive from Vancouver to Seattle airport. Flight out is 4:30 pm
We will have a rental car. The ferry system is new to us and we don’t want to make assumptions. We want to see wildlife, beautiful scenery and eat good food.

Questions- after the first 3 days on Orcas Island is it a good idea to split up the other four days between Victoria and Vancouver? To go to Victoria, will it be too time consuming to take a ferry from Orcas Island back to Anacortes then to Sidney. We need suggestions as what to do in those locations. We think we are interested in Butchart Garden. My main concern is the ferry system to accomplish all this. We do not want to reserve all the ferries without advice.
Would we go to Vancouver from Victoria by ferry or ferry back to Anacortes and drive up.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Let me clarify the ferry system.

You don't need to backtrack to Anacortes to take the ferry to Victoria (technically, to Sidney BC, around 40 min. by car from downtown Vancouver, closer to Butchart Gardens.) Every morning one of the ferries departing Anacortes stops at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island to pick up and drop off, then it crosses over to Sidney. If you're on Orcas you don't need to return to Anacortes, you just need to get to Friday Harbor in time to make the connection, much as you would riding the bus or changing planes at some airport.

The timing is such that you'd need to leave Orcas early in the morning to get to Friday Harbor, then wait an hour or two and board the second ferry, the one that's going to Sidney. If you want to return to Orcas on the way back, you'd just repeat this process in reverse; the ferry from Sidney leaves in the early evening, stops in Friday Harbor, then continues on to Anacortes. You'd then catch a later boat back to Orcas.

Here's the summer ferry schedule. For travel in the San Juans it's important to get familiar with this. 2018Summer.pdf

You will need reservations on the Anacortes to Orcas boat and vice versa, and particularly on any boat serving Sidney, including the Friday Harbor to Sidney boat and any boat returning to the mainland.

As for advice on your overall plan, I'll be frank and say that in my view Butchart Gardens, while beautiful, is also quite expensive, and tends to be quite full of people. Now others will disagree with this, some probably quite strongly, but if it was me I'd pass on the Victoria plan altogether and head to Vancouver sooner. If you like gardens, the (free) Queen Elizabeth Park gardens in Vancouver are pretty terrific, and the Bloedel Conservatory in the middle of the park (which does charge an entrance fee) is a wonder - full of remarkable tropical plants and hundreds of birds - parrots, toucans... flying around. The combination is fabulous, and if you're still wanting more gardens, nearby are the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens, yet another superb experience.

That would give you more time around Vancouver; you could even spend a day or an overnight (reallocated from Victoria) to drive up the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. The Sea to Sky is one of the most beautiful roads in North America, and Whistler during the summer is terrific, with lots of activities set in spectacular mountain scenery. Or you could take a ferry over to the BC Sunshine Coast, an area of wonderful scenery and funky coastal towns full of galleries, farmers markets, and nice cafes selling local produce and fish. Google these places.

For wildlife, one of your Orcas days I'd park the car near the ferry terminal, go as foot passengers to Friday Harbor, and do a whale watching tour out of Friday Harbor.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a very quick comment (Gardyloo can help you with anything and everything transport related in the PNW)

BUT . . . I wouldn't attempt Butchart Garden in the middle of July.

The gardens are beautiful and worth visiting IMO . . . But I visited in mid June before Canadian Schools let out for the summer and the place was TEEMING with people. Just REALLY crowded. Once Canadian families on holiday are in the mix my guess it would be unbearable.

OH -- and I have nothing against Canadian families
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:04 PM

I think your original plan of Orcas Island + Victoria + Vancouver is too much for the amount of time you have. In part this is due to the complications of ferry travel. I'd choose Victoria OR Vancouver. Both are worthy destinations. Janis' comments re: the Butchart Gardens are well-taken. I love the gardens but would gladly trade for some of the gardens in Vancouver.. The queen Elizabeth Park Gardens are lovely, and the Van Dusen Gardens are an old favorite of mine.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. We will go to Vancouver after Orcas Island.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 12:31 PM

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
taterbug-as others stated, you absolutely need reservations on most ferries going through the San Juan islands and the boats servicing Sydney, BC. also be aware that it is 95 miles from SeaTac airport to Anacortes, your departure point for the ferry. so you are looking at probably a minimum of 3 hours for this drive. possibly more depending on day of week and time of day. I-5 northbound can incredibly slow along this route during all daylight hours, especially in summer. and as another post on this site points out, we will have record road construction this summer. i do not know what the procedure is if you do not make your ferry reservation and i believe they prefer you arrive at least a little bit early to get in the right line.
if possible I highly recommend looking at staying the night your first night in Anacortes or another bedroom community nearby-Burlington, Mt. Vernon, Sedro Woolley-to ease your burden of having to accomplish this drive and be on time in the same day. i personally would never recommend this to anyone I know. Additionally, I hope you have a place to stay reserved on Orcas Island already-it's a tough get at this late date. and definitely eliminate Victoria for the time you have.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by melproffit
taterbug-as others stated, you absolutely need reservations on most ferries going through the San Juan islands and the boats servicing Sydney, BC. also be aware that it is 95 miles from SeaTac airport to Anacortes, your departure point for the ferry. so you are looking at probably a minimum of 3 hours for this drive. possibly more depending on day of week and time of day. I-5 northbound can incredibly slow along this route during all daylight hours, especially in summer. and as another post on this site points out, we will have record road construction this summer. i do not know what the procedure is if you do not make your ferry reservation and i believe they prefer you arrive at least a little bit early to get in the right line.
if possible I highly recommend looking at staying the night your first night in Anacortes or another bedroom community nearby-Burlington, Mt. Vernon, Sedro Woolley-to ease your burden of having to accomplish this drive and be on time in the same day. i personally would never recommend this to anyone I know. Additionally, I hope you have a place to stay reserved on Orcas Island already-it's a tough get at this late date. and definitely eliminate Victoria for the time you have.
Not knowing your arrival time to Seatac: I would have to echo the challenges of I-5 traffic, and especially if your plane is late. Anacortes would make a lot of sense to stay there and get up and take the earliest ferry (see Gardyloo's link). If you do have a little time in the afternoon/evening on the way to Anacortes, my in-laws are just huge fans of La Conner, Washington. Anyway, it might be worth a stop. Here is a link:

La Conner - The Washington State Vacation Destination in Skagit Valley - Love La Conner