Cape May Lewes Ferry

Search

Cape May Lewes Ferry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape May Lewes Ferry

My wife and I are going to be staying in Lewes this Columbus Day weekend (Oct 9-11). We are considering a daytrip to Cape May, but are not sure whether to take the car. Has anyone ever done the round-trip ferry by foot? If so, is there a shuttle from the Cape May dock to the town? Would it be easier to bring our bicyles from Lewes or rent them in Cape May for a few hours? Any good ice cream parlors in Cape May?
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM

It has been a long time, so things may have changed, but the ferry docks in Cape May quite a distance from town -- five to eight miles, I think -- much too far to walk but probably manageable if you bring bicycles.
Bus service was not frequent (it was September), and we had a long wait at the dock. Then we had to worry about getting the bus back to the ferry. I'll make other arrangements the next time.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go on the web site. The ferry has changed a lot in the past few years. They are pushing the day tripper business so they may have increased the bus routes. Renting bikes in Cape May would probably be better. The ferry comes into the opposite shore of the canal so there are some steep bridges to cross and a fair distance to go into town. You'll enjoy Lewes. It is a darling town. It looks like there are some wonderful roads to bike in that area. The ice cream parlor is Lewes is very good. Also be sure to go out to Cape Henlopen State Park.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:32 AM

I've only done that once, and with a car, but bicycles sound like the answer to me!! Take your own!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:34 AM

It's not cheap but a great thing to do from either direction. http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/
There are shuttles but I would suggest that you bring your bikes. Try to check out the nooks & crannies of CM on your bikes. There is a great paved walk way along the ocean and ice cream in the quaint outside "mall".Nice weather can make for a busy weekend so consider calling the Ferry to be sure that passenger space is available.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and tips on the ferry. 7-8 miles sounds like a long way from the dock to CM. I'll see how often the bus comes in October on the website link. Does anyone know the name of the ice cream parlor in either Cape May or in Lewes?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Kings is the homemade ice cream parlor in Lewes.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Take and use your own bicycles, for the Lewes/Rehoboth area as well as Cape May. There is a charge for bicycles on the ferry. I'm not sure you'll find bicycle rentals that late (October) in the season. It's a nice ride down towards Ocean City too, and if you're quite ambitious, to Assateague State Park.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Right on the small boardwalk in Cape May is a place called Morrow's Nut house. They close for the winter and typically Columbus Day weekend is their big closeout sale where all their stuff is 50% off or more! In addition to a ton of nut varieties, they also have dried fruit, chocolates and other confections...I'm so jealous! BTW, there's also an ice cream place right next door but I've never been so can't recommend it (we go to Springers about 10 miles north in Stone Harbor).
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:01 AM

Please take your bikes on the Ferry to CM, you'll be fine. The ride will seem short and level. A great place for any skill level rider. The suggestion to ride south from Lewes (to OC,MD, etc)would be far too ambitious for me & I do a decent amount of biking.