Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Interesting Places to Stay in N. Georgia Mountains

Feb 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I'll be spending a couple of nights in the N. Georgia Mountains in late April. I'm not familiar at all w/ the area. I'm interested in staying in a hotel/resort/lodge/inn that has beautiful views, nice grounds, no more than $150/night.

Either good food at the inn or near a city that has some interesting dining (local independent restaurants, hippie-food OK, "Continental" not OK)would be a plus. We like towns like Asheville and hate towns like Blowing Rock and Helen.

I generally dislike B&B's because I'm alergic to cute-sy and because I need a private entrance to bring my bike in the room with me. However a B&B w/ private entrances would be a consideration.

The general area I want to be near is the Dahlonega/Elijay/Hiawasee area. I may be interested in staying in two different places. (we are going to follow the Tour of Georgia bike race) Also, We may be travelling with another couple, so a cabin might be a possibility and we could thus spend more per night.

So...what are your thoughts and recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:03 PM

What do you hate about Blowing Rock and Helen.
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Sounds like you need the GA State Parks.

They have a website.
Clean cabins-near town and in the country with the scenery.
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:43 PM

My family has a cabin in Blairsville area and loves it! Here are my thoughts and notes:

1. Your best bet is to stay in the Hiawassee area at either the Fieldstone Resort or Brasstown Valley Resort. The accomodations at both are excellent. Brasstown Valley has both rooms in the lodge and cottages. The food has always been very good, with two restaurants to choose from. We've eaten in both the sports bar and the dining room. The dining room has an extensive buffet at night as well as dinner menu selections.

A less expensive alternative is the Lake Chatuge Lodge located just on the outskirts of Hiawassee. It's a Shoney's hotel, but don't let that fool you. My former employer is one of the owners and I handled all of the accounting for the construction of the hotel, so I saw first-hand the quality of work that went into the construction.

Dahlonega can be a bit Helen-like on the weekends. Most of the tourists hit then and are confined to the square. There are a couple of decent restaurants in the area. One is a little Italian restaurant just off the square (sorry, can't remember its name).

I don't know the exact route the race takes, but remember to multiply the distance by 1.5 to get an idea of the travel time since most of the roads in the area are not straight. The exception is Highway 76 which is 4 laned most of the way.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

MSP
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mark - thanks for the help (and happy almost-the-end-of-tax-season from a fellow CPA).

I've narrowed down my lodging choices to the three you suggested. Should I assume from your post that the restaurants at Brasstown would be your choice in the area? If there are any other gems, I'd love to hear about them.

Ideally, somewhere nice with a good wine list for dinner on Fri and somewhere more casual and opened all day for a late lunch/early dinner after the race. If there's any thing special in outlying areas we could drive a bit on Fri night.

Thanks again
Apr 12th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Have you considered a cabin rental in this area? There are good rentals-hot tubs included-in the Blue Ridge area.
This is a nice area, not at all like Helen. It's about an hour south of Chatanooga, TN. but still in Georgia.
Two websites in case you're interested:
www.blackbearcabinrentals.com
www.thelastresort.com
Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM

we have read uncomplimentary things about brasstown valley online. have you stayed there? what is your opinion? We want to visit, but are skeptical.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I live in Blairsville. North Georgia is known for beautiful scenery, hiking and nature. I don't think we have any restaurants that you could call "fine dining". There are some good family style restaurants in the area and some not so great ones. This area does not remind me of Asheville in anyway, but I love it. I've eaten at Brasstown Valley Resort a few times and was underwhelmed. If you want mediocre food at high prices, go there. The resort itself is very nice so I would have no problem staying there, but I would eat elsewhere. Keep in mind that if you come into small mountain communities, you will need to adjust to the slower pace of the community and there are not the amenities that larger cities have, so please don't come in with an attitude. It won't be appreciated. If you are respectful and friendly, you will love this area.
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Litespeed_Chick, since you posted this question almost two years ago, I hope you already spent some time in North Georgia? What place did you chose?
Feb 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I love Daloeagha and Blarisville. I actully would love to move to that area permanently. Clarksville is pretty too.
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Dahlonega is one of our favorite places! We ate at a fabulous place a couple of years ago...had lunch and went back that night for dinner(unusual for us).It was called Reneas? Hope it is still there. Attractions are limited, lots of cute shops on the old town square. We loved the slow pace, but beware of "festival" times such as craft shows. We couldn't find a parking place or lodging during this type of event. Don't bring an attitude is right, the folks are fabulous and very helpful but remember this is not Asheville.
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pat, thanks for asking.

Yes, this post is 2 years old. In 2004, we stayed at Fieldcrest Inn in Hiawassee. The room was nice enough, had a super view of the lake and mountains, but the restaurant was abysmal.

In 2005, we stayed at Brasstown Valley Resort. It was WAY more expensive than I thought it ought to be, but everything else was full (it was the weekend of Lance Armstrong's last race on American soil...I got to have a "hi, how are you" conversation with him). I was glad we stayed there, the lobby and the fireplace are great and it was absurdly cold that weekend so the fire was much appreciated. We had a mediocre Italian meal at a place I've forgotten one night, and so were pleasantly surprised at the buffet at Brasstown on Saturday. Nothing spectacular mind you, but I would call it pleasant and acceptable, and plan to go back this year.

I knew that there were mountains in North Georgia before our trip in '04, but I did not know how big nor how spectacular. We are looking forward to our 3rd trip this year and crossing our fingers that it doesn't freaking SLEET in late April again this year!
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Litespeed_Chick, thank you for all details. I heard about beautiful mountains of Georgia too. Actually we are planning to hike the first few miles of the Appalachian trail this April or May. We worry that it could get too hot in May. We have no idea at this point where to stay overnight so I need to do some research and study a map of Georgia. Maybe we will see you somewhere in Georgia.
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Temps are great in May, doesn't get too hot until July and August most of the time.
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM

We love the Dahlonega area.

Good restaurants: Caruso's, The Oar House, Rick's, Wylie's.

A really nice inn about 5 miles from Dahlonega: Mountain Top Lodge.
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Have you checked out Cedar House Inn & Yurts in Dahlonega? Neat little eco friendly bed and breakfast.
Jul 13th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Anyone referencing this topic should consider the lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park. Here's the link: http://www.gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/