Glacier Park Fire Info!!!!

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 03:01 PM
dan

Glacier Park Fire Info!!!!

Finally !!! - Here's a great website I found with details of the air quality / visibility in/aroung Glacier: http://www.deq.state.mt.us/fireupdates/Index.htm

Given what I've read, I am almost convinced that I will postpone my Labor Day weekend visit based on conditions growing worse by the day. Let me know what you think.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 12:13 PM
tweedy

Dan I think that is a great idea to move your dates to another time. I heard last night that the park is closed to visitors and that all the parks in Montana are now closed to visitors, and quite honestly that makes so much sense. Fires can spread so quickly, the firefighters need to be concerned about fighting the fires and not having rescue stranded vacationers, not that you would have gotten in the way, but there are some people out there with poor common sense.

Try some of the parks in Vermont, Mass, New Hampshire or Maine. Ever climbed Mt. Manadnock? Beautiful views and a nice climb.

tweedy

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 02:50 PM
mary

According to the Glacier National Park Official Web site - The Park is NOT closed. The site states that misinformation is out to the public that the park is closed. Only one small fire, in the least accessible northwest corner of the park, is burning.

Serious fire restrictions - No Smoking, No open fires, etc. are in effect, but they are not difficult to follow and do not detract from the enjoyment of the park. We were there last week and the really large vistas were obscurred by smoke, but the views from the trails were terrific.

It isn't a bad idea at all to postpone your trip, however, I am really glad we went ahead and went last week. It was beautiful, the people were terrific, and our children gained a first-hand experience about the power of fire and the importance of being responsible about fire.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 12:46 PM
sam

Dan, we were heading out to Glacier on Labor Day weekend as well and we cancelled our trip on Friday. I called to the park and was told there was smoke and haze in the park. Besides, we were flying into Missoula and driving up from there. We were looking forward to a pretty drive north, but the Missoula area is apparantly in the thick of it.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Dan

Hi, I've canceled my trip as well. Too far to travel (will take almost an entire day from the east coast flying into Seattle and then to Kalispell and then the drive to Many Glacier) to take a chance although as Mary stated the park is still open. In addition, seven new fires started in the park on Thursday night of last week - one of which is in the Many Glacier area.

Let's all hope and pray for some much needed rain and relief for those poor Montanians and for some better conditions for Labor Day weekend 2001! I've already made my resevations!!