Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Input re: Oct. Utah (and AZ?) Parks trip, please. Thank you!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

A couple of years ago we visited Zion and Bryce national parks and were totally smitten by their incredible beauty! Now, we want to explore Utah's other national parks, as well as some of its state parks (... and potentially some other scenic areas in AZ). We are looking to do this in October or early November.

> I'm wondering if a week is sufficient to see the scenic highlights of the following Utah parks: Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse SP, Goose Necks SP, Monument Valley, Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP, and Capital Reef NP? And If a week isn't adequate, how many days should we budget?

Some additional detail:
  • When I say "scenic highlights" by that I mean much of what one might see via car (scenic drives, scenic vistas, etc.) and short hikes (a mile or less). We also tend to enjoy visitor center resources (exhibits, movies, ranger discussions, etc.), and topical museums or tours about the area if they're recommended. We are a generally fit couple in our 60s, but unfortunately my husband's flat feet limit his interest/tolerance for longer hikes.
  • We are able to fly in and out of either Salt Lake or Las Vegas. My current research shows SLC has a very slight price advantage, whereas Las Vegas has the edge with number of daily non-stop flights (four vs. SLC's one). If the route from SLC is more scenic, I might be swayed in that direction, but bottom line either could work.
> If we wanted to add on Escalante National Monument, Page AZ (for Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe Bend), and White Pocket AZ, any idea how many days we would need to add to our itinerary?

> Should we pare our list down? Might some areas be redundant of others, or do they all offer their own unique beauty?

> Are there particular routes recommended, scenic or otherwise (e.g. I've read that Scenic Utah Byway 12 from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef is very scenic)?

> Thank you so very much for any feedback or suggestions you might offer regarding my questions and/or any general itinerary advice regarding these areas!
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 04:50 PM

One day for each: Arches and Island in the Sky in Canyonlands. Both of these pictures were taken from the parking area, and there are other opportunities:

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 05:05 AM

Does your week include the days you fly in/out? If so you won't have much time to see the parks.

Everyone will have a different idea about what route you should take and what to add/cut for your trip. All the parks are unique and much can be seen with hikes of a mile or less. I would want to spend at least a full day in Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse SP and a day and a half in Arches. You also need to account for the time to get from there to each of the other parks so this isn't just a matter of nights in a place with not much time to see anything in the park.

Doing a loop from Salt Lake City will be a bit shorter in time in the car and if you do a loop you will miss the typical drop fees for the rental car, but sometimes it might be worth it to do a drop and cut a bit of drive time and/or see some other sites. Try to get an early flight in and a bit later on the trip home.

Check lodging in the areas you want to visit and perhaps you can do a loop in either direction, but one may be more efficient. In any case try to get a flight that gets you in as early as possible. If you get into SLC before noon you can be in Moab before dark in October, but if you go to Vegas, you will probably need to stop for the night along the way especially if your body is on eastern time. If you are on any of the smaller roads, you can encounter large animals on the pavement (deer, elk, cattle, horses, antelope, etc.) which are hard to see after dark.

I have lots of pictures of the area, If you want some eye candy try

flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009 and click on albums then the ones for the southwest.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Michael and E Malloy.

I've put together a rough itinerary which I'd be grateful for any feedback regarding its reasonableness, given our scenic touring (vs. heavy hiking objective). I know I need to flesh out more detail, but am hoping its a sufficient starting point to enable me to start booking flights, car rental, hotels and some tours, which I'm getting a wee bit nervous about.

DAY 1: fly into SLC and drive part way to Moab (evening: hotel in Provo/Price/Green River: 1 night)
  • Arrive late afternoon (4 pm)
  • pick up rental vehicle and drive part way to Moab
DAY 2: Arches NP (evening: Moab hotel: night 1 of 2)
  • Get up early and finish drive to Moab.
  • Spend day at Arches
DAY 3: Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse SP (evening: Moab hotel: night 2 of 2)
  • Split day between Canyonlands & Dead Horse
DAY 4: more Arches NP? Moki Dugway? Drive to Goosenecks SP and Monument Valley (evening: hotel in MV)
  • spend part of morning at Arches, if desired
  • Drive to Moki Dugway?
  • Drive to Goosenecks SP
  • Continue on to Monument Valley
  • If time, maybe drive to 4 Corners Monument?
  • Sunset in MV
DAY 5: Monument Valley morning, then onto Page, AZ (evening: Page/Lake Powell hotel: night 1 of 2)
  • Sunrise in MV
  • Scenic Drive in MV
  • Drive on to Page, AZ
  • View Horseshoe Bend
DAY 6: Page, AZ Antelope Canyon(s) (evening: Page/Lake Powell hotel: night 2 of 2)
  • morning: Lower Antelope Canyon Tour
  • afternoon?
DAY 7: WHITE POCKET TOUR (evening: Kanab hotel; 1 night)
  • Drive towards White Pocket
  • Meet White Pocket Tour guide for all day tour
  • Drive to Kanab hotel
DAY 8: DRIVE To CORAL PINK SANDS SP & ESCALANTE (evening: Escalante/Boulder hotel)
  • leisurely morning/rest
  • drive to Coral Pink Sands SP
  • Drive to Escalante via Bryce and scenic route 12
DAY 9: CAPITOL REEF NP (evening: hotel in Torrey; 1 night)
  • Burr Trail
  • Singing Canyon
  • Bullfrog/Notom road?
  • Visitor Center
DAY 10: DRIVE TO SLC and fly home
  • drive to airport
  • return rental car
  • 3 pm flight home

As always, if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/enhancements, etc. to offer, they will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just very quick - you say Oct or Nov. A heads up that Nov will be awfully late for Lake Powell. Last year I stayed at the Lake Powell Resort at Wahweap Marina Oct 31-Nov 1 (loved it) and the first night was the very end of the season and end of full service at the hotel. Nov 1 the main dining room/restaurant closed, the food menu in the bar was reduced, the gift shop went down to opening just a few hours, etc. One day it was a full service resort, the next was bare bones.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 07:17 AM

Day 6 - you may be interested in a short hike at the Toadstools in Grand Staircase Escalante. The trailhead is about 30 minutes from Page. Or take a drive out to the old Paria townsite.

Day 8 - a couple of things to possibly see on the northern side of Grand Staircase are Willis Creek slot canyon (this is a longer hike but you can turn around any time and the canyon starts fairly early in the hike) and Devils Garden where the formations start right by the parking area.

Day 9 - this will take up a good part of your day leaving not as much time in the main part of Capitol Reef but if you're just planning to do a scenic drive without much hiking you could see that area in half a day.

Check the condition of all unpaved roads with the local visitor centers https://www.blm.gov/learn/interpreti...VisitorCenters
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Your general plan looks good.

Do be aware that many car rental companies will consider your contract void if you go on unpaved roads, or will void the insurance. That said, we've got on many with rentals and have been lucky to have had no problems. We have encountered very bad road conditions after a rainstorm where the surface was thick slippery mud and it was good that DS was used to driving in heavy snow so we made it out fine.

Do try to keep any travel to daytime hours, both because you will misss beautiful scenery and because the roads are curvy and steep in places.

Do fill your gas tank when it gets to a half as there are some areas where stations are few and far apart and some close on Sunday.

Get an inexpensive cooler and ice and keep drinks, snacks etc. for times when you need food and there is no place to eat.

Drink about twice as much water as you think you need. It is super dry and water also helps with altitude problems.