Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Input Needed for Bachelor Party in Santa Ynez / Santa Barbara Wine Country

Feb 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Hey everybody,
I am getting married in July (hooray!), so itís time to have my bachelor party (double hooray!). I donít like strippers or gambling (so that rules out Vegas), but I do like my food and drink. Thus, I think Iíve come to the conclusion that I want my bachelor party to take place in the wine country north of LA sometime in June (a la the movie "Sideways"). I want it to be an overnight deal Ė guests can arrive on Friday, we spend all-day Saturday and Saturday night there, and come back home on Sunday.

Thus, I am looking for input. Iíve been up to this area before, but not with a large party (about 8 of us total)...which adds complications. Specifically, Iím looking for the following input:

- What town/area of the wine country do you recommend staying in? Iím looking for "bang for the buck" here since we will really only have one full day and two nights. Iím thinking of Buellton since I LOVE the "Hitching Post" restaurant.

- Can you recommend a hotel that would be nice, yet affordable for a group of 8?

- Can you recommend a bus/limo service that could drive us from winery to winery so we can all drink?

- What wineries do you recommend us visiting? Are there any standouts or a cluster of wineries all in the same area that you recommend?

Thank you all for your input and help.
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM

If you don't want to stay in Solvang, there is a Marriott Courtyard in Buellton. While it is next to Hwy 101--it is easy access to wineries on both the west and east sides of the hwy. It's also near the Hitching Post--which you definitely book for the best meat and fries you'll ever have. I'm assuming you don't "need" more than a place to sleep after excellent meals and wine tasting. There are tons of places in Solvang--but the town pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at 9:30. Fess Parker has a nice Inn in Los Olivos if you want something nearer to that end of the Valley.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM

Can't help with the bus/limo. But, the Marriott is a g ood choice in Bulleton. For wine, my favorites are Foxen, Cottonwood Canyon and Fess Parker (coonskin cap & all).
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

boom_boom & TrvlMaven - thanks for your input. I looked into the "Santa Ynez Valley Marriott" and it looks nice, but the prices seem high - $229/night for their base room?! I dunno....I was thinking a little cheaper since this is a Bachelor Party ...no need to impress the ladies. Maybe the "windmill" hotel in Buellton?

Thanks for the recommendations on the wineries too. Are all of those in about the same area?

Thanks!
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

Gold Coast Limosines - ask for Greg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

If you're looking to save hotel price, try the Santa Maria Inn about a half hour north of Buellton.

http://www.santamariainn.com/

Ellen's in Buellton is a local hang-out, great food, non-touristy type place for breakfast.

http://www.californiacoast-worldweb....eakfast-Lunch/
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Some great recommendations...especially for the Gold Coast Limo Service.

I think for food, we're going with the Hitching Post (I love that place) and the Los Olivos Cafe (I've never been).

Now gotta pick the wineries....