Notices

Inns in the White Mountains

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inns in the White Mountains

Looking to stay a couple of nights in the White Mountain area the first part of September Would appreciate any recommendions of inns in the area. We typically like inns that are more modern and not real Victorian. Also is there enough to see and do for two days in the area. We probably are looking more at sightseeing and walking rather than major hiking etc.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:39 AM

You might try the Lodge at Jackson Village (see lodgeatjacksonvillage.com). It's a small (about 30 rooms) inn located in the White Mountain area. We spent two nights there about a year ago and very much enjoyed it. It is modern, clean, and well located.

You can easily find enough to do for two days in the area including the Mt. Washington auto road, which I highly recommend.....but get there early.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Woodstock Inn (Woodstock) is excellent, if a little pricey. It has a brewpub/restaraunt and some rooms have jacuzzi tubs...which are great after a strenuous day of hiking the Whites!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Sorry, I evidently missed the part where you say you don't want to do any major hiking. As far as sightseeing, I know there is a lot of New England charm to some parts of New Hampshire. I always like Littleton...it is the quintessential New England town, in my opinion. Beware of the crazed tourist trap places, though (think billboards advertising "trained bears" and you get the picture). I suppose these are scattered around pretty much anywhere these days, though.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:34 PM

There is a very modern Inn on West Side Road in North Conway just off Route 16/ 302. Sorry I can't remember the name. No. Conway is very touristy but a great place to walk around, eat, shop, and the scenery is beautiful. If you drive anywhere, take West Side Rd. west to 302 in Bartlett and loop around the mountains.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Franconia Inn in Franconia Notch.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Franconia Inn on the Easton Rd definitely. Keep away from tourist traps of the Conway area and Littleton is a "Top Notch City" with loads of great things to do and super dining! The Franconia Notch Parkway is very close and has what you're looking for, nice walks and things to do; not ascending 4000+ footers. Eat at the Beal House, Clam Shell in Littleton. The best in the area is Govoni's on 112 in North Woodstock and a nice "back road" drive down 116 from the Inn, through Easton to 112. The Woodstock Inn is nice for a few drinks afterwards and the pub will be hopping with tourists at night. You can't go wrong in the Franconia/Kinsman Notch areas. Much more quaint and fun that the Pinkham/Crawford Notch "tourista" areas. The Kanc is a nice drive but get on it early to avoid those dreaded 40 foot, 100 horsepower motorhomes (well...I guess they help feed us so I should be nicer!) Check out Lost River too, very clean and a lot of fun!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Ellis River Inn in Jackson or Adair Inn in Bethlehem. Both great!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:30 PM

Snowvillage Inn (www.snowvillageinn.com). Rooms in the "chimney house" are not *too* country style and they have their own fireplaces.
Views from the dining room are drop dead gorgeous. A very peaceful, beautiful setting, removed from the North Conway traffic, but not too remote.