Inn at Ocean's Edge or other inns on water near Camden

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted this question some months ago but didn't get a whole lot of feedback. Our trip is coming up in a couple of weeks so I thought I'd try again. We're looking for an excellent quiet place to stay for one night in the Camden or Lincolnville or Boothbay area. Boothbay seemed to have mainly motel or B&B type accommodations. We prefer inns. Camden had some fine sounding inns, but either didn't have king beds or wouldn't be quiet (on street). So: wondering abt Ocean's Edge or similar? Thanks for help! (Would also love rec for best place to eat lobster in area given that it won't be outdoor eating weather when we're there.)
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM

The Island View Inn - Rockport, about 10 minutes from Camden. Overlooks Penobscot Bay. Fairly new, lovely grounds, nice rooms. Check the website for pictures.
One caveat: they don't serve breakfast but they do have coffee in the lobby and the rooms have small refrigerators. Or you can drive to nearby restaurants. I stayed there a couple of years ago and plan to return this year.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I looked at the website and it looks pleasant indeed. I think, though, that since it'll not be pool weather, and maybe not even strolling outside weather, I'd like to try to find an inn that has a fireplace. ( The rates seem surprisingly "low"-- not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM

We've enjoyed Welch House Inn in Boothbay, but no fireplaces & probably more of a B&B type atmosphere than you're looking for. I've heard recommendations for Spruce Point Inn in the area.

Camden/Lincolnville: Ocean's Edge is new, nice, and rooms have gas fireplaces. It is quiet. The only negative comment I've heard said something like "felt more 'upscale hotel' than 'intimate inn'. I think it's the only 4star in the area other than Sunrise Point (and no fireplaces at Sunrise Point).
Lord Camden Inn is nice, but downtown so not "quiet". For solitude, I love the garden at the Blackberry Inn, & take at look at Hawthorn Inn, too?

The Lobster Pound Restaurant in Lincolnville is fine, but real casual...Atlantica in downtown Camden is upscale & delicious.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM

Camden Harbour Inn is off the main drag and I would stay there. I looked at several rooms last year for a friend and liked the feel of the place. Nice in that you are in town so can walk to everything, some rooms have harbour view, those that don't have nice view of town or Mt. Battie. You can eat lobster at 2 places on the harbour--both can accomdate for the weather. We had dinner at the Inn at Ocean's Edge--nice, but new and did have a hotel feel about it. Gorgeous grounds, everything very nicely done. I would choose Camden over Boothbay.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for continued feedback.

No availability at Camden Harbour Inn for our dates.

Sunrise Point does, in fact, have fireplaces. We stayed there once some years ago, but I wasn't impressed by managment when I called a few months ago-- seemed unprofessional and somehow "scattered."
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:00 AM

Since you will be just one night, maybe you could deal with loopy mgt of Sunrise Point. Same for Inn at Ocean's Edge--it IS large but very nicely done. It was written up in Gourmet last year and they don't tout tacky.