Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Information on Duluth (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/information-on-duluth-325984/)

123 Jun 10th, 2003 11:18 AM

Information on Duluth

We love Minnesota, but we have never visited Duluth. We live in Kansas, and can't wait to see the sites. Help us do the city the right way. Tell us the things to spend our time on in the city, the best places to eat, and all the senic drives. Thanks for your help !

Cali Jun 10th, 2003 12:11 PM

The busiest place in Duluth is the Canal Park Area on the water downtown. There are many hotels there and we have stayed at all of them. We like Inn on the Lake and also Hawthorne Suites. There is also a new place on the canal across the bridge on Park Point but I don't remember the name. You might look under a Duluth Tour site as I am sure it is there. The hotels in Duluth fill up very quickly in the summer (especially on the weekends) so you want to book your room early. We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn and Radisson Hotel downtown and although they aren't on the water and not new, they are close to everything and just fine. The Lake Walk is fun and we often walk from the hotel to the Pickwick Restaurant (which we love). It is also fun to tour the Lake Superior Museum right on the Canal and also to see a ship go thru. They can tell you in the museum when the next ship will be coming in or out. It is also fun to tour the Irvin, an ore boat that is open to the public. It is docked near the convention Center and right behind the Hawthorne Suites. We also love the scenic drive from Duluth to Two Harbors and take it every trip (even tho we have been there tons of times). It runs along the lake and there are little restaurants and houses, etc. along the way. We also like Angie's Cantina, Porter's and a couple other restaurants I just can't think of now. Will write them when I think of them. Sorry. We also love to drive all the way up the North Shore to Grand Marais. It is such a pretty drive and Gm is a pretty little town with a natural harbor and lots of shops and restaurants and lots of art. Hope you have a good trip!!

bookhall Jun 10th, 2003 03:11 PM

If you do make the trip up to Two Harbors, check out the Lighthouse B&B up there. They've only got three rooms, but it's a delight. It's run by the Lakc County Historical Society.

There's no resident innkeeper--they have someone come in in the morning to do your breakfast. Go to www.lighthousebb.org for more info. I'd suggest calling for reservations--I imagine they're heavily-booked in the summer.

blep Jun 10th, 2003 04:34 PM

You'll love Duluth! Be sure to book way ahead of time because it is hard to find a room last minute in Duluth in the summer. The new hotel in the Canal Park area is South Pier Inn. They have lots of photos on their website, rates start at $99. A good site for Duluth info in visitduluth.com. The lake walk is very nice; you can stroll, roller-blade, bike, or take a horse drawn carriage ride along it. Two restaurants I like in the canal area are Bellisio's (Italian) and Taste of Saigon. Amazing Grace has great baked goods. In the Two Harbors area Betty's Pies is legendary. There is a new lodging option in the Two Harbors area called Northern Rail Traincar Suites.

Rockne Jun 10th, 2003 04:53 PM

Stay at the Hampton Inn--nice, new hotel right on the water in Canal park. Also, be sure to take a tour of the Glensheen mansion, a beautiful old home on Lake Superior.

Cali Jun 10th, 2003 10:22 PM

I'm so glad everyone remembered all the places I forgot. They are all great suggestions!!

123 Jun 11th, 2003 07:24 AM

Thanks to all of you, cali, bookhall, blep, and rockne ! With all of your suggestions, I know we will have a great time. Glad to know you like the area and go back often. Thanks again !