Reload this Page >

Info on neighborhoods of Austin, TX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:30 AM
Living in Atlanta

Next year my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Austin, TX for him to attend MBA school. We currently live in Atlanta and are very familiar with every neighborhood and its dynamics. We are interested in getting some information and opinions on the different neighborhoods of downtown Austin and its surrounding areas.

We are wondering about different areas to live? Such as an area that is more funky and artsy, one that might be more laid-back, one that might be family oriented, one that more be more diverse. Also, are there areas in Austin in the city that seem to be more of an neighborhood feel with yards, etc.

Any help on the descriptions of the neighborhoods would be great. I have been looking at rentals and apartments and do not know what area to focus on.

Thanks for the info ahead of time.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM
lisa

I can give you info on neighborhoods in Austin. The closer to downtown, the more pricey the homes. Your price range would help in figuring out where to live. One of the best ways to see what houses are going for is to search the AUstin MLS. You can do this at
http://www.austinhomesearch.com/ahs/searchnew2.asp?Type=1
(You type in the zip codes and price ranges)

Most neighborhoods in Austin proper have yards and lots of trees. You lose the trees in the newer subdivisions, in the surrounding areas.

Funky and artsy - I'd think areas around South COngress Ave might fit that description. Other areas are West Austin - Nice, older homes, pricey, laid back, beautiful areas, trees, quieter, etc. There are more families in West Austin.

i could go on and on...

If you'd like to talk details, email me at [email protected]. I'll be happy to help. Also, please put "FODORS POST" in the subject line. I get waaay too much junk mail and am quick to delete!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:52 AM
lisa

Another site to try is http://www.austinhomesandrealestate.com/austin_information/austin_map.htm

You click on the area and you get a little blurb on what it's like. Not a great deal of info, but a start.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Living in Atlanta

Thank you so much Lisa, looked on both of those websites for overviews of the neighborhoods.

Right now we live in a neighborhood called the Virginia Highlands in Atlanta, very laid back, dog friendly, artsy, neat stores, restaurants but has houses and yards. I think we would initially want something like that. Price range I am not too worried about initially because anything is better than Atlanta rent. Probably like to stick around at the highest $1200-$1400 for 2 bedroom rental house. Just keep stressing house because I have a dog that needs a fenced in yard.

Is there anything that kind of meshes with that description?

Once again thanks for being so helpful.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
lisa

Most 2 bedroom rental houses are in the older sections of town, which sound like what you want anyway. And that rent is about the same as Austin, believe it or not! I think South Austin neighborhoods are best for you. Bouldin, Dawson, Travis Heights (maybe too much $$, not sure). Zip code 78704.

Areas close to S. Congress Ave. would be ideal. These are very funky neighborhoods, artsy types if you will, old hippies, some families, some students. Great neighborhood. S. Congress Ave has been going thru changes the past several years (used to be hookers hung out here - no more!) and now is called "SOCO" (kinda like NY's SOHO) Lots of great little restaurants and bars, live music venues, antique stores, retro clothing shops, and near downtown. Easy to catch a bus or just walk. Near Town Lake and the hike and bike trails.

Let me know how else I can help. Favorite websites for goings on are:

www.austin360.com and www.auschron.com

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:57 AM
Lynn Darby

Sweetie, the move isn't going to be a problem, but you're going to want to get an engagement ring on that finger of yours before you decide to make such a big life change with your boyfriend.

Time marches on and we sometimes forget the moral to that old story about the free milk and the cow...

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:07 AM
lisa

Another neighborhood that would work for you is Clarksville. That is similar to SOCO area, but maybe a little more upscale. Less artsy and funky, but all the other amenities.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:15 AM
nicole

Hi,

Here are some more neighborhoods that may fit what you are looking for:

Hyde Park
Travis Heights
Barton Hills
Zilker

All of these neighborhoods are very diverse in the age, race, culture, sexual orientation and income levels of the people living there.

The price you pay is that you will only get a very small house (maybe around 1000 sq ft) and an older home for the price range you gave. You also may end up near college students who have 10 people crammed into a 2-3 bedroom house....could be fun/could be annoying.

As you get closer to making a decision, post again, there are a few of us Austinites who regularly visit the forum.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:25 AM
Living in Atlanta

Thanks to Lisa and Nicole for their information on Austin, really appreciate it. Look forward to hearing other responses and researching some of the recommendations you both gave. Given me a great direction.

Lynn Darby, sorry dont need to a have a piece of metal on my left hand before I make a "big move." Alot more to life than an engagement ring...some people are happy and content without finding the best Tiffany engagement ring.