Search

Good Dim Sum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Sharon

Good Dim Sum

Can you share with me your favorite Dim Sum place in NYC (for lunch)?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:34 AM
Owen O'Neill

I've only tried the Golden Unicorn (which was good but be patient - sometime it takes awhiile for the carts with the best stuff to get to your table - don't fill up too quick!). Try doing a quick search in this forum - there was a recent thread on NYC dim sum with many responses - I saw it just a few days ago.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Bonnie

What is Dim Sum? I asked at a local resturant but really could not understand her answer. I am goin to San Francisco soon and would like to try it.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Judy

Dim Sum is Chinese breakfast generally served cart style to your table where you can choose what you want. Choices are usually rice, dumplings, shrimp, etc., very delicious. We had dim sum in San Francisco Chinatown last year but cannot remember name of restaurant. What we did was ask a couple of people in Chinatown shops for a recommendation and worked out great. Enjoy!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Wendy

We had great Dim Sum at Golden Drago
Chinatown twice and very reasonable,around $10. Also had it at the Mayflower on Geary St. Was well worth the hr wait!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:24 AM
klam

Okay, I've seen this one too many times to not comment. A minor (though I think critical) correction to Judy's definition of dim sum.

Dim sum is actually more brunch or lunch, than breakfast (i.e., one would not have dim sum and then later on have lunch). It starts around 11 a.m. and goes to about 2p.m. or 3p.m. depending on the restaurant.

For many Chinese, it's a social event (getting together with family or friends) so on weekends, it's the busiest; plan on getting there before noon or there will be long queues at any place that's decent.

The dishes are small portions (like tapas) with two to four of the same item in one serving. Each item is two-or-three bite-size (if you are civilized and don't cram the whole thing in your mouth, which some people do), so you can try a many dishes. It's best to go with a few people so you get to try more dishes, but it's always easier to score a table for two.

I'd hate to see Bonnie get up bright and early on a travel day and head for dim sum only to find that she had a 3 hour wait for it to start! Have fun!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Ed

Yank Sing rocks! Best dim sum in town, hands down.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Nina

Be careful how many of those little plates you take. They stack up the empty plates on your table, and then add them up when you are done. Although, they are not that expensive they do add up. We have pigged out, and then been very surprised when we got the check ;-)

The Golden Dragon is very good but also ask in the nicer Chinese stores or businesses which restaurants serve the best dim sum ... they are not all equal. Enjoy your lunch.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Nina

FYI - The Golden Dragon is in Chinatown in San Francisco. Anyone there can tell you where it is.