Search

outer banks,NC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outer banks,NC

i need a 2 hotel rooms or another place for a week in december -coming down for Wright Brothers celebration.
I had 2 room at the sea ranch which sustained damage during the storm .
any suggestions??
Thanks
Melissa
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Melissa, Have you considered renting a house for the week? Sunrealtync.com and Southernshores.com are showing lots of properties available. I seem to recall you mentioned that you had children and a little more room to spread out might be a real bonus.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

i have thought abour houses but my dad who is handicapped( walks with cruthches) will be with us. i don;t think that he can make it up those steps.so i am back to lookigf for a hotel/motel room
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:09 AM

Melissa, There are numerous homes with elevators to accommodate people with disabilities. Southern Shores' website is showing a half dozen places available that week. (I am not affiliated with SS but have booked through them previously) Not trying to badger you, but I just gotta believe that a week in a house has to be easier going than a week in a hotel.

Good luck!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. i did find a house in nags head. Cahoon cottages .It seems very nice much better than a hotel room
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

what else is there to do in the outer banks besides the wright brothers?
i have 2 children 8/11 years old.
melissa
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 11:48 AM

You can find out the ferry schedule to Ocracroke(sp?) island. It a drive to the ferry and then it takes you to the island and there are shops and an aquarium and a few other things to see.

I have been there for about 25 summers and I have seen and done just abuot everything, but I have never visited in the winter so I am not sure what is still open. The Hatteras light house is fun. The Elizabethan Gardens and there is a Colonial Ship in the area.
Sorry I cant be more specific. We saw all those things years ago. I loved the Lost Colony play when I was a kid but I dont know if they do it in the winter time.
Your best bet is to go to the visitors center right over the bridge to your right. They have brochures on everything there is to do.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Your best bet is to go to the visitors center right over the bridge to your right. They have brochures on everything there is to do.
Question- what bridge is that>
Melissa

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Melissa,

I think I recall you saying you're from NJ. If you're driving to the Outer Banks you'll be headed down Rt 158 through Currituck County and cross a bridge (whose name escapes me) onto the island. If you're coming via Norfolk, Va you can't miss it. It's the only way onto the OBX. The Visitors Center is about a mile further on your right. It's well marked.

I'm not sure but I think the poster jkurtiak may be confusing some parts of Hatteras with the town of Manteo which is on Roanoke Island (about 20-30 minutes from KDH). No ferries required. The town has some cute shops including one of my daughter's favorites, The Christmas Shop & Island Gallery which is 30 odd rooms of holiday decorations and local art. Next door is the Weeping Radish, a micro brewery with some pretty decent food. Just outside of Manteo is the NC Aqaurium (and it's very much worth a visit) as well as Fort Raleigh and the Elizabethan Gardens. Can't imagine the gardens would be interesting to kids but FR has some interactive history stuff going on.

Someone else mentioned Jockey's Ridge, mini golf places, and lighthouses. For kid dining I'd recommend Captain Franks for lunch. Great hot dogs and fries. Nag's Head Woods has some great short hikes. Flying kites on the super dune, Jockey's Ridge is always fun. For kids just climbing it is a good time. Of course if the weather is fine, there's always the beach.

I think you may find the OBX a bit more subdued than the NJ shore. No boardwalks. Most of the "activities" are outdoor ones that aren't normally open during December but may well be this year due to the First Flight Anniversary. I've heard lots of retailers and restaurants say they're going to be open. Checking at the visitors' center for info is your best bet. Or, ahead of time, contact the Visitor's Bureau:

Outer Banks Visitors Bureau
Toll-Free: (800) 446-6262
Fax: (252) 473-5777
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all of the info
what kind of weather should we expect?will we need winter coats or bathing suits?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:59 PM

The typical temps in Dec are mid to upper 50s during the day and low 40s at night. Warmer or colder is not unheard of tho recent mid December's have been on the warmer side. I'd leave the swimsuits and heavy winter coats at home. Layers of tshirts and sweaters/sweatshirts will well do for a sunny day. Gortex jackets will suit a for colder day, light rain or stiff NE wind.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks
we are looking forward to having a great trip