Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Lodging Near Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a nephew that will be admitted to the Hospital for Special Surgery in the 500 block of East 70th Street in New York City within the next month. He will probably be there for at minimum two weeks, more likely three to four weeks.

There is a facility connected to the hospital for immediate family called the Belaire Guest Facility that his parents will stay at, and those of us who fly up from Alabama to visit him while he is in the hospital may be able to stay there as well, but in the event we are not, I'd like to get an idea of some relatively inexpensive hotels/motels in the general area where we can stay. I'd like to stay below $150 a night if at all possible. Would be willing to be at minimum 10 or so blocks away.

Poor little guy is having his spine fused because it is beginning to twist to the point where it is damaging his left lung. He's only 11 years old and had a neruoblastoma tumor removed from his spine when he was 8 months old. The surgery to remove the tumor resulted in damage to the spine and he shouldn't even be walking today, but can with the help of his canes. They would have liked to have waited longer to do this surgery because it will result in ceasing his growth, but the curvature has become too bad to ignore.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Gosh, I don't have any advice but wanted to say that I hope all goes well for your nephew. What an ordeal, he must be a strong boy.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

The hospital or the Belaire Guest Facility would be your best source for information. This is probably a common thing as families quite often want to be together. There may even be a nearby motel/hotel that will give a special rate if it's arranged through the hospital.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Oh boy, KE1TH, I hate these kind of stories. Hoping all goes well.

The absolute best option would be if you could get one of these apts. at an affordable price. They may only rent by the week or more. The location would be superb and the apts. are fantastic.

http://allenhousenyc.com/

In answer to your question, $150 is currently a very difficult price to find in NYC and there's not a lot of hotel choice in that neighborhood. I don't know the Belaire, but there's a Helmsley hotel affiliated with Sloane Kettering in the same general area. I don't know if they accept anyone from the other hospitals and I'm having a hard time remembering the exact name.

That area is all residential plus several different hospitals and Dr.'s office buildings. I found a list of nearby hotels on this page.

http://www.hospitalsoup.com/hotels/H...archbyNameVar=

Closest decent hotel would be the newly renovated Lyden Gardens at 215 E 64TH St, owned by the Affinia.com group. All their hotels are suite hotels with rooms like apartments and very well maintained.

There are some other short term apt. rental options in that general area. All but the last of these apts. would be good

http://furnishedquarters.com/locatio...pper+East+Side

You'd have to contact the co. to find out about availability.

nyhabitat.com is another agent with UES (upper east side) vacation rentals.

There is a hotel called the Bentley but I don't think I'd stay there.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM

hope all goes well for your nephew. you might look at www.vrbo.com they have 100's of rentals in nyc. you will want a city map to use the site so you can tell where the apts are.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM

First, I am so sorry for what your nephew is having to go through - I really hope all goes well for him and your whole family.

I agree with the suggestion about checking with the Hospital. When my mom was at Johns Hopkins for 3 weeks and we were unable to find space at their apt. offerings, they were able to recommend some hotels that would give a discount due to arrangements Hopkins had with them. So, the hotel rate we paid was at a substantial discount compared to what we would have obtained on our own.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Friends of mine have used the Cosmopolitan Hotel on Chambers Street in Tribeca for a similar stay (friend in HSS) It is close enough time-wise to the hospital by subway, and they have rooms for well under $200. If you do not find anything closer, give that place a look-see. Having spent lots of time in HSS as a patient, I can tell you that the care is suberb. Good Luck.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM

The HSS is affiliated with New York Presyterian I think, and NYP has some patient-family housing in their Helmsley Tower which was mentioned above.

Also look into
the Pickwick, 230 East 51 St.
Good reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

Best wishes for your nephew and family.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM

see also this thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34683691
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
P_M

I wish I had something to add, but I just want to jump into this thread to wish your nephew well. I also wish his parents and family members well, this must be hard for everyone. What an awful experience for a child, yet hopefully this surgery will allow him to grow up to be strong and healthy. All the best to you and yours.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM

I would suggest trying www.hotels.com for lots of hotel suggestions and you can comparison shop for price and location.

Also try the Hotel Grand Union, which is on E 32nd St. The rates are a little over $100 a night, and it is very convenient to bus and subway.

Sending good thoughts your way, and hope that everything goes well.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Just want to send positive thoughts and good wishes to you, your nephew, and family.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:44 AM

I hope you find the accomodations you need!

Best wishes and my prayers for your nephew, and for all of you!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:28 AM
GoTravel

Call the hotels nearby and explain your situation. Having been in the hotel business for years I can tell you we always make exceptions.

Thoughts and good wishes to your family.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm sure the hospital will be the best source for near-by lodging. They probably deal with this daily.

I really appreciate the well wishes. My nephew is heroic in my eyes, having gone through as much as he has and still having a positive and glowing outlook on life. This will be his 8th or 9th surgery (who counts anymore).

Our biggest problem is that we don't even know when my nephew will even be admitted. An example is that this morning, a needed pre-surgery MRI had to be cancelled because of his lung condition. The medical team was afraid to put him to sleep as needed for this 2-hour long MRI.

His parents are now going to have to take him to Children's Hospital in B'ham because they're equipped to handle a child needing a MRI whereas a general Hospital may not be.

Its always one thing or another.

Thanks again,

Keith
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM
GoTravel

Another thought, is there a Ronald McDonald House?

While it is free, you could give them the donation of <$150 per night.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Beekman Towers (around 48th and 1st) on the east side is a good, basic choice. Not sure if they can meet your $150, but if it is a slower week, they might come close.

Tracking NYC hotel prices is like going to a auction sale. A room will go for $350 one week, and the exact same room will go for $175 the next. The moral - research and bargain hunting pays off when it comes to NYC.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM

The Bentley Hotel, 500 E. 62nd Street, is within walking distance of HSS.

Good luck to your nephew!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Friends of mine stayed at the AncoStudios in November; they paid $179 per night for a double the week prior to Thanksgiving. The property is a townhouse on East 82nd Street off Madison Avenue that has been divided up into guest suites. Their studio room had a kitchen in it. The room was a bit dilapidated, although clean, and you could not beat it for the price. I am sure you could get it for less at other times of the year. Apparently the rooms in the building are variable, with some nicer than others. The phone number is 888-710-7500. WWW.ancostudios.com. You can easily walk to the hospital and the area is very, very nice and very upscale, a few steps from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Belaire is within an apartment bulding where many medical personnel live. It is across the street from HSS.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

An update on this thread:

My nephew's surgery ended up taking place this past Wednesday, July 12.

My parents stayed at the Belaire Suites which is attached to the HSS via covered walkway for $279.00 a night. They checked out this morning and are on their way home as I type.

My nephew's surgery was successful and I appreciate all the well wishes from you fellow fodorites. He was in the operating room for 10 hours. He has at least another three weeks of recovery in the children's section of Presbyterian Hospital.

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/input...=austinelliott

I will probably fly to NYC with my sister in a week or two to see our nephew and will stay at the Bellaire Suites if room is available. Mom may fly back up there with us to see her grandson once more.

His parents are staying at the Ronald McDonald House in Manhattan for $40.00 a night. It isn't the Ritz, but with a stay that long in Manhattan, and the fact that they spend most of their time at the hospital anyway, it is a good place.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Keith

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -