Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive hotel at (or very near to) JFK for one night

Feb 6th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,
I must spend a night at JFK before catching another flight in the early morning the next day. I'm curious if any of you have specific experience with a lower-priced hotel in the area with a free airport shuttle. The lowest I can find through Hotwire is $158 for a night (again, with free shuttle service to/from JFK)...although they do have hotels in the "Jamaica area" (1.7-5.0 miles from JFK) for around $70-80...but of course no shuttle service. Maybe a cab would only be around $15 each way, pushing the total to $85-95...I have no idea. Maybe it is a lot more. Just really wanted to hear from you guys on this. I appreciate your time in responding!!
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Bite the bullet - stay at one of the hotels at/near the airport: You'll be glad you did. Not wise to spend the night too far away and expect to have a taxi waiting for you in front of the hotel in the morning.

Check these websites - there are a few in your price range and quite a few more that are in the $100 to $150/ night price range.

http://www.expedia.com/John-F-Kenned...-Filter-Hotels

http://www.airporthotelsjfk.com/
Feb 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
J62

How early is your flight? Be sure to check directly with the hotel what time their shuttle starts.

I believe the shuttles all run to the centralized rental car facility where you then pick up the AirTrain to get to your terminal so be sure to factor that into your timing.
Feb 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM

In addition to checking the time for the earliest shuttle, also ask if you need to reserve, lest you find out when you want to depart that "the next two buses are full".
Feb 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM

I wuld definitely stay AT te airport - and do check the times of the shuttles. Much of Jamaica is an area yu would not want to stay in- or leave the hotel. I wold never recommend it to a tourist.
Feb 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM

What's the date? $158 on Hotwire sounds high. You might do better on the regular hotel websites. Courtyard JFK & Hampton Inn JFK are some of the best options.
Feb 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM

betterbidding.com easy to snag a 3 star usually bid priceline.com start at $60 work your way up for best deals.
Holiday Inn $70 for me last was ok good price with a free shuttle. www.ihg.com direct from web site if you do not want to bid.