Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   INEXPENSIVE ACCOMMODATION 1 NIGHT IN/NEAR MANHATTAN (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/inexpensive-accommodation-1-night-in-near-manhattan-796838/)

KRNS Jul 21st, 2009 06:17 PM

INEXPENSIVE ACCOMMODATION 1 NIGHT IN/NEAR MANHATTAN

I shall be meeting son in Manhattan for an evening show Aug,5. It will be too late for me to go home to Pennsylvania and for him to southern Nj so would like some recommendation where to stay that night that is cheap,clean and safe. Thanks for any suggestions.

Karen

travelbuff Jul 21st, 2009 06:24 PM

I'd try Priceline for best pricing, or www.hotels.com. We have SO MANY hotels in the city, but cheap would be one of the hostels and I'm guessing you don't mean that cheap ($40nt).

Other than that you might head out of the city and find something on off the turnpike. Stop at any of the rest stop on 95 and pick up the hotel guide. It will give you the names and phone numbers for all the hotels in NJ closeby the turnpike and discounted rates $50-100nt.

For decent and inexpensive, try the Grand Union, www.hotelgrandunion.com on E. 32nd ST or The Travel Inn on W. 42nd, which is close to the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, and offers FREE parking, the only hotel in the city that does. There's also a rooftop pool.

Good luck and enjoy your short stay.

KRNS Jul 22nd, 2009 07:57 AM

Thank you for info. Shall check your suggestions.

Karen

joesorce Jul 22nd, 2009 09:23 AM

If you can deal with twin beds, bare-bones room for one night, check out PortlandSquareHotel.com
Nice location and looks like they have a rm available

KRNS Jul 22nd, 2009 10:21 AM

travelbuff,

Hotel grand union doesn't have availability for that night but looks very nice.

joesorce,
Portland Square looks very nice and they do have availability.

Thank you both so much!

Karen

ksbeem Jul 22nd, 2009 10:27 AM

Karen, you can take a bus from the Port Authority station to East Rutherford, NJ. The bus lets off right in front of the Fairfield Inn, and right next door is a Residence Inn. Both very nice and inexpensive, relative to Manhattan. It's about a 15-minute bus ride.

I did this with my husband, three children and in-laws (in their late 60s) when we were there 18 months ago. It's so easy and convenient.

dfpasto Jul 22nd, 2009 10:32 AM

Karen, look into the Hyatt in Jersey City, NJ. It is right across the Hudson river from Manhattan and a very easy PATH train (like a subway)into Manhattan; probably 10 minutes into Midtown Manhattan. Plus you'll have spectacular views of the city.
Good luck!

KRNS Aug 3rd, 2009 07:19 AM

Rented an apartment via VRBO for 2 nights at summer special of $150 per night plus $75 cleaning fee on the UWS near the MofNH. Not an illegal rental. Then played around at Priceline and got a 3rd night at Millenium Hilton in Financial district for $149 plus tax but I wasn't planning on staying a third night, just hit button to submit bid, thought I'd have an option to not take it, lo and behold, it was accepted. Now i know how to bid on priceline! Thank you all for your suggestions.
Karen

sf7307 Aug 3rd, 2009 08:10 AM

<<<Not an illegal rental>>>

I'm just curious how you know that.

michelleNYC Aug 3rd, 2009 09:16 AM

Be very, very careful with that VRBO rental... I too would like to know how you are so sure it is not illegal?

huskermom Aug 3rd, 2009 10:57 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th. It's close to everything. It was modest, but very clean, safe and comfortable--the rooms were spacious for New York, and it goes for less than $200 a night--we got it much lower than that by playing around on line (and sheer luck). It seemed to be super popular with European tourists.

mclaurie Aug 4th, 2009 04:40 AM

Don't know if you've got this taken care of already, but you might be able to get the Iroquois hotel for $169/night which is MUCH nicer than any of the other places in Manhattan mentioned here. http://www.travel-ticker.com/details...6o9eu8bbccdc0e

Radio City apts. has a rate of $133 on quikbook.com for a room with 2 double beds. Both hotels are very conveniently located to the theater district.

hikrchick Aug 4th, 2009 04:52 AM

There is also a Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City within walking distance of the Pavonia/Newport PATH train station. The PATH is $1.75 each way.

thursdaysd Aug 4th, 2009 08:38 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Jane? The location looks good, and the price isn't bad ($99 a night for Sep 10-13).

KRNS Aug 9th, 2009 08:47 AM

Had a wonderful 4 day trip into the city. Beautiful weather so I spent most of my time in Central park. Saw 3 shows and the Frick Collection. The apartment was very nice; the reason I believe it's not an illegal rental is that there are other apartments in building for rent by same company and before I checked out I met someone employed by the company who said there are 40 properties throughout the city(or country, I don't remember precisely what he said)owned by the company,Great Space. I admit I am just assuming it's legal since it is not a sole owner renting their own apartment and I took the word of the employee I met when I asked him if the rental was legal. How would one go about finding out if a particular rental is legal or not?

karen

SusieQQ Aug 9th, 2009 09:10 AM

Right, and the employee would tell you if it were illegal...I have a bridge for sale, if you want it.

KRNS Aug 9th, 2009 02:15 PM

SusieQQ,

So, please answer my question, how do you know if a rental is legal or not. You seem so sure it isn't, why? What proof do you have it is illegal? I really want to know as I will most likely rent it or another one in Nov. What evidence is the property owner required to show to renters to prove legality?
People say be careful to not rent an illegal property but no one has said how to check it out.
Is the bridge you have for sale an income producing toll bridge?

Karen

ellenem Aug 9th, 2009 02:44 PM

Do you have a website for the company?

For the most part, if someone usually lives there and is renting it to you, it is probably illegal to do so. Very few apartments in NYC that are already occupied by someone else can be legally rented for short terms. Most apartments, whether they be rentals, cooperatives, or condominiums, have stringent rules about subletting apartments. Subletting usually requires being vetted by the owner/board of directors and signing a proper sublease for a set amount of time, usually a number of months in duration. Some condominiums may have less stringent rules, so perhaps your rental was in a condo.

The only other case I can think that would be legal is if it was a smaller building and the owner of the building also owns the particular apartment you are renting.

SusieQQ Aug 9th, 2009 03:43 PM

For the most part, the only time that an apartment rental, on a short term basis, is entirely legal is when the person who is renting the apartment owns the entire building where the apartment is located and that person is collecting and passing on hotel room tax to NYC. Please read all of these posts on Trip Advisor:http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._New_York.html

jroth Aug 9th, 2009 04:14 PM

The scam can work both ways. Friend of mine rents out a couple of cottages he owns. He sometimes receives a check for a rental but the check is for more than the rental. the sender of the check then sends a message that he sent too much money and advises that after depositing the check - please send a refund for the overpayment. He says he has a supply of checks totaling about $40,000.