Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Indianapolis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/indianapolis-66656/)

Kelly Mar 27th, 2000 05:56 AM

Indianapolis

Will be driving down to Indy this weekend for the Final Four...GO BADGERS!...probably with our two kids (ages 9 & 7). Besides the many basketball-related activities, what else is there in this town? Any good restaurant recommendations? I hear the children's museum is great, but are my kids a little old? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! <BR> <BR>Kelly

Bill Irving Mar 27th, 2000 09:58 AM

2 years ago, we went to the Children's museum. Our 2 boys were 10 & 7 at the time. They thouroughly loved it & didn't want to leave at closing time. There is also an IMAX theater at the museum. & they also have another theater which contains a laser show, don't miss that. When we were there, the laser show was based on a portion of the Nutcracker Suite - it was very good. The kids still talk about the things there & wonder when we are going back. The museum itself is 3 large floors, & everything is hands-on. Even the parents may enjoy it abit. It is 1 of the best children museums I have seen. Cheer the Badgers on to VICTORY.

Kelly Mar 27th, 2000 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info Bill. We'll certainly be cheering VERY loudly for our beloved Badgers. We're all still in shock around here. <BR> <BR>It looks now as though we may NOT be taking the kids (tickets are scarce to say the least!), so do you have any grown up recommendations? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks again.

Bill Mar 28th, 2000 05:51 AM

Kelly, <BR>We were there only for a few days & most of the things we did were with the kids, but we did walk around the downtown area alittle bit, near the football stadium. The Indy travel bureau was near the stadium, that has tons of info. & if you are interested in car racing, you could always visit the Speedway. But there is a fairly good shopping mall downtown. We stayed on the northside of the city & were looking at houses in that area. The traffic in the area is like heaven compared to what it is here in Chicago. I don't have any of my Indy info with me, but you can Email me if you wish. Being an avid Badger Alumni myself, it has been a good year for Badger sports with the Rose Bowl win, Heisman trophy, Mens Basketball team in the final four, Womans Basketball team in the NIT finals. Alittle disappointed in the hockey team though, even though they were rated number 1 in the country, they shouldn't have lost in the NCAA quarterfinals. & Spring track is yet to come.

Susie Mar 28th, 2000 05:56 AM

Kelly, <BR>I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much Indianapolis has to offer. Downtown Indy (where the game is being played) there are plenty of good restaurants from the high end chain type Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Shula's, Palamino, Mikado and more mid price would be Rock Bottom Brewery, Houlihans, Jillians, Bucca di Beppo, Bertilino's. If you prefer independant "owner operated" restaurants I would reccomend Alcapulco Joe's, The Elbow Room, The Rathkskeller, Bazbeaux Pizza and Iaria's. Most of the downtown activity is close to Circle Center Mall. The zoo is just a little west and is pretty good, as is The Eiteljorg Museum for American Indian and western art, it also has one of those mammoth theatres close by. If you are into the blues or jazz I highly reccomend The Slippery Noodle Inn and The Chatterbox. The city will be full of visitors all decked out in their team colors, so just walk around and you will find so many things to occupy your time! I'm sure as soon as I send this I will think of so many places I have forgotten to mention. Have fun!

Kelly Mar 28th, 2000 07:21 PM

Bill, <BR> <BR>How cool that you are a Wisconsin Alum (so are my husband and I). We have followed the Badgers since our student days (went to 2 of the last three Rose Bowls, all three Big Ten Tournaments,and many other events) and you're right...it's a VERY exciting time to be a Badger. Just found out tonight that we in fact DID get four tickets and a hotel room as part of the Alumni Association Tour. Should be a great time. <BR> <BR>Go BADGERS!

Kelly Mar 28th, 2000 07:38 PM

Susie, <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for the information. Especially the independent stuff. We love trying new "off-the-beaten-path" stuff (as long as it is good!) <BR> <BR>If you remember anymore suggestions, please post or e-mail me. We're getting very excited and know that Indy will be a lot of fun.