Reload this Page >

Indecisive in Louisiana

Search

Indecisive in Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2000, 02:40 PM
Jeanette

Indecisive in Louisiana

My husband and I will be in Colorado for about nine days.(no children) Had thought about driving to Hoover Dam and Sedona, Arizona, but realized we'd be on the road too much. Any advice about how to spend nine days in Colorado? Should we stay in one place and take side trips? Or, Should we stay in 2 or 3 places? Would like to do some easy hiking, take a raft trip, and any other must do's or sees. Also, I read something about a car needing to be tuned for high altitude driving. (??)
And how DO you drive in the mountains? I know this sounds silly, but we would probably drive in the wrong gear all the time.(don't have a four-wheel drive)
I know I'm asking for alot of information, but I see such willing and good advice in this forum I figured I'd go for it.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 03:11 PM
ellie

Jeanette,
I've been to Colorado many times. We never seem to stay at one place the entire trip. One trip that worked very well for us was Ouray/Telluride for a few days, Aspen for a couple days, Beckenridge area for a few days and Rocky Mt. National Park for a day trip. We flew in and out of Denver.

Another trip - Colorado Springs (got to take the cog train to the top of Pikes Peak), Gunnison area, Leadville, Aspen, Vail and Golden.

How to drive in the mts? Don't ride the brake when going downhill, that's for sure! Use your lower gears to save on braking.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 03:15 PM
John

Jeanette, your heading implies that Louisiana will be your travel destination. You may want to repost with "Indecisive about Colorado" or something like that. Many of us just scroll the entire US without doing a geographic search, so I suspect some people who could offer help aren't even reading your post! Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 06:45 PM
Jeanette

To Ellen,
Thanks for your advice. If you had to pick two places base yourself at, which two would you choose. I've been reading so much and it all sounds wonderful.

To John,
Tnanks for your advice. I wondered why nobody had responded.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:18 PM
Ellie

Jeanette,
I guess I would have to say Ouray (it's a little cheaper than Telluride). Ouray is a very small quaint tourist town. It's called the little Switzerland of America. They have great mountain roads you can drive on, some only with 4 wheel drive vehicles (you can rent them). The views are tremendous and actually remind me of the Swiss Alps. Very nice quiet place. You can make day trips to Telluride, Silverton and Durango.

The second place would be Breckenridge or Vail. They are very close to visit the other on day trips. You can even do a day trip to Aspen or Denver. Much more activities in these towns as both are near the interstate.

No matter what you decide, you'll have a great time in CO.