Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In which area of Kauai should we stay in mid-November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Kauai for 3 days November 16-19. (This will be at the end of a trip that includes 3 days in Oahu and a week in Maui [staying at Kahana Villa Vacation Club, on the West Coast of Maui between Kaanapali and Kapalua].) I am tryiing to decide which area of Kauai we should stay in. It sounds like the north shore might be a bit problematic this time of year. Suggestions of specific lodging options would be welcomed. I'd also appreciate suggestions of things to see and do that are uniquely Kauai -- that we are unlilkely to have the opportunity to do in Maui. We enjoy snorkeling, kayaking, beautiful scenery, flora and fauna, and local history and culture. We are going with cousins from Chicago, who have never been to the Hawaiian Islands before. Unfortunately, one of them has foot problems and cannot do much walking or hiking.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Let me add: We will have a rental car. We'd like to spend around $150-$200/night/couple. All four people in a condo is an option.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 05:10 PM

I am not sure how specifically the North shore is in November, but it's my favorite time to go to Hawaii Low crowds (if before thanksgiving) and great weather on all islands I've visited during that time.

I was in Kauai in January - and it was hot as heck on the North shore, and it rained in the south (Poipu where we stayed)...and I purposely stayed in the south to avoid the North Shore's wet weather...so go figure! I think you will be happy with any choice. The North shore of Kauai is lovely and I love the town of Hanalei. Princeville has a lot of condos.

I think a must-do on Kauai that you won't get on Maui is a tour of the Napali Coast - either by boat or by helicopter ( I vote for the copter but that's because I get seasick). Also a trip to Waimea canyon is a must. If you do a helicopter tour it usually includes both the canyon and Napali. I used Blue Hawaiian helicopters and they were amazing. It's worth the money IMO.

Have a great trip!