In search of Palm Springs/Desert Eateries

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In search of Palm Springs/Desert Eateries

Going Thursday this week to the Desert but have not been for years. Recommendations for restaurants/cafes from cheap to expensive, but food quality is most important factor. Looking for breakfast as well as the other meals. Places in the surrounding communities are also welcome since we have wheels.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM

We were in Palm Springs last week. We ate at the following Palm Springs restaurants which are all located on Palm Canyon in the Palm Springs historic district:

The Deck above Chop House: Has a good variety for lunch. I had the asian chicken lettuce wraps that were yummy. DH had a chicken sandwich with basil aoli. yum.

Riccio's for dinner. Awesome. Great service, terrific food just can't say enough.

Blue Cayote: Icky. Worst margarita's EVER. Food was ok. Would not recommend.

The Falls upstairs on Palm Canyon. Tremendous amount of food. Go hungry. Food was pretty good. Service was good.

Wished we had gone to St. James at the Vineyard or The Chop House. Also along there is Hamburger Hamlet and the California Pizza Kitchen along with many many Thai restaurants.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:56 AM

Blue Coyote is gringo-ized Southwest food. I happen to like it, but there are more authentic choices near there. The margaritas, when taken on the rocks, are not bad at all (they're not unauthentic-- just pay a bit more for better tequila).

Edgardo's Veracruz is one of the more authentic choices. Great food.

CA Pizza Kitchen is great for what it is, but it's a chain-- the food's the same as what I get in Long Beach. Or the one near my office here in Santa Monica. Or....

Hamburger Hamlet-- still soldiering along, after just about all the other went under. That's incredible. The burgers are pretty good too.

Thai Smiles is pretty popular on this Forum, and for good reason. Dirt-cheap and great food.

I've had awful food at Kaiser Grille, but a lot of people like it, so maybe it was an off-night.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

Like rjw, we also have a CA Pizza Kitchen so we didn't go there. Has sidewalk dining which looked fun for those who chose to eat there. Actually our friends who go to PS regularly recommended we eat there. DH and I though that odd, as why would we eat at a chain that was available at home. Some people like to eat the same ol' stuff so hats off to them. Last time I ate at HH was in LA mannnnnnny moooooons ago.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We have Cal Pizza where we are and Hamburger Hamlet but will check out the others.