Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > In Search Of "Pic-A-Nic Baskets". A Day In Yellowstone.
Notices

In Search Of "Pic-A-Nic Baskets". A Day In Yellowstone.

Sep 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

In Search Of "Pic-A-Nic Baskets". A Day In Yellowstone.

The world's and America's first national park is worth the trip even if just for a day or two. Bring a camera and lots of film (ok, a big memory card) to capture the fantastic scenery here. Also your own "Pic-A-Nic Basket" would be nice. Despite what you might have seen or heard bears are not that fond of sharing.
Sep 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

EARLY MORNING IN YELLOWSTONE

Retracing my steps from the day before, I pass through Madison Junction headed towards Yellowstone’s South Entrance and Grand Teton National Park.

In the early morning light the same scenery is a different experience than the day before. The moon is setting on my right as dawn's early light approaches from the east. It is always a sensory delight to watch the changing of the color guard.

The moon's brilliant white is slowly replaced by the advancing orange rays of the sun. Night's blackness is exchanged for morning’s peaceful shades of blue. The contrast is spectacular on park's landscape.

An occasional approaching car removes my trance like state but I am still like a deer steering in the headlight as I enjoy nature's beauty.

Valley fog lifts as the sun gently heats the air ever so slowly. It is promising to be a gorgeous day in Yellowstone.

Continuing my drive south, just beyond the Old Faithful turn off, I spot a lone bison having breakfast and park. The gap between us gradually closes as he grazes aimlessly towards me. Eventually the bison crosses the street right in front of me. An astounding bison close up.

For photos:http://dmbtravelerusa.blogspot.com/2...wns-early.html
Sep 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM

You're off to a great start - looking forward to more!

Lee Ann
Sep 11th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

YELLOWSTONE, A GEM OF NATURE

Descending a hill about ten minutes from Craig Pass, an early morning view of Yellowstone Lake comes into sight. America's largest mountain lake which at one time flowed into the Pacific and Arctic Ocean. A closer view requires that I make the turn towards West Thumb and Grant Village but I continue my journey south.

It is not long before I encounter another group of Yellowstone natives. Along with a few other park visitors, I watch and take pictures as a small herd of mule deer are leisurely enjoying breakfast and a morning stroll along the highway. Again, another neat experience to see the park's animals going about their normal daily routine.

Fortunately for me some areas of the park are still shaded from the advancing sun and I am offered the opportunity to relax by a still tranquil lake. The world around me is silent except for the sounds of nature as I enjoy my peaceful surroundings. The scenery reminds me that somewhere there is always a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Sometimes nature offers a nice option even if it is not in the form of a rose.

Although only thirty feet in height, Lewis Falls is still worth a stop. A walk beneath the over pass allows a chance to touch it's refreshingly cool waters as it flows through an open valley southbound. Relatively calm here, the water will become a rushing tempest at points downstream as it descends steep gouges.

For Photos:http://dmbtravelerusa.blogspot.com/2...of-nature.html

Search this Thread