Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In NO, what restaurant / bar goes with what neighborhood

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
gabrielle

I am taking my husband to NO for his 40 birthday.
I am interested in learning where we could go for dinner and still be withing safe walking distance to a bar with live music. We will be in NO for 3 nights and would like to spend one night in the french quarter, and the other nights seeing different parts of town.
We have planned to eat at emmerals on the first night ( husband's choice), but the other nights are open.
I love live music of all kinds and want to make the best use of my nights in NO
Any suggested itinerary????
thanks!!!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:48 PM
kal

What about a taxi out to Pascual Manales for some BBQ shrimp and on the way back stop at the original Tipitina's for some really good music?
Let the good times rollllll.
There are soooo many choices!
Kal

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
gabrielle

I have heard of both of those places you mentioned. Where are they located and can you recommend any other good bars with music nearby tipitinas???
Also what area is emmerals in is it in the central business district?
thanks again. We are leaving in two days.
gabrielle

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:31 PM
slider

How about Cafe Brasil and the Mermaid Lounge, and maybe Mid-City Lanes.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
X

First off, it's Emeril's. If you haven't gotten the reservation yet, do so.
Tip's is pretty much by itself. It's not in walking distance of anything. It is, however, worth going to.
Uptown, you have Jimmy's and Carrollton Station and the Maple Leaf, all of which are great live music venues. Restaurants include Brigtsens, which is fantastic, Camellia Grill, and a few others.
In the Marigny, you have Snug Harbor, Cafe Brasil, dba and a few other places on Frenchmen, with Cafe Marigny, Praline Connection and some local places. Snug Harbor has good food too. The Marigny is close enough to the Quarter to eat there and taxi over for a few dollars.
There's always rock and bowl in Mid- CIty too. So many choices...

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:07 PM
gabrielle

Thank you soooo much for the postings. I am also poking around on the web on a site called gumbopages. Tipitinas seems to be highly suggested as is the maple leaf, jimmy's and rock and bowl lanes.
I have reserved emeril's (sorry about the spelling) for thursday night.
I like the uptown ideas. I have not seen anything about the mermaid lounge.
I really need a good map that shows all of the bars/restaurants in the differnet areas.
Your help is truly appreciated.
gabrielle

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Cathi

We went to N.O. last summer and I bought a map at Barnes and Nobel which was wonderful...it showed hotels, restaurants, bars, tourist attractions etc..for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called...
I am sure someone at the bookstore can tell you, though. It was great.
Maybe someone else on here would know what I am talking about. They have them for other cities as well..

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:50 PM
Sazerac

Keep him off the Mississippi River Bridge if he breaks into a mid-life crisis. He may jump, or worse yet, end up in Harvey.

J/K Have fun and suck the marrow from the bone and don't forget to second line.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Sheila

If you like zydeco music, Mulates near the convention center and Riverwalk Mall is a great place to go. They have good food, dance floor with locals teaching you to dance and a live band. We were there last week. I believe the band started at 7. It is a fun place. We also enjoyed the Mid-City Rock and Bowl. We took a taxi from the French Quarter. The band started at 9 and there was a cover charge but the bowling is reasonable or you can just dance and listen to the band. We loved both places.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:33 AM
S

We just came from NO. We ate at the Acme Oyster House. My Gumbo Poopa was awesome. My husband had the Catfish Po-Boy. I will go back!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Tom

No one seems to have answered your question, namely a recommended place to eat within walking distance from music. My choice would be dinner at Marisol, which is casual with upscale food and a nice atmosphere. Marisol is is immediately across Esplanade from the French Quarter. Within two blocks of Marisol are the Matador, Cafe Brazil, the Dragon's Den and the Blue Nile. Among these four you will easily find one with very good music. There are also several good bars (no music) in the area: DBA on Frenchman and The R on Royal. Other restaraunts in the two block radius are Mona's for cheap (but good) middle eastern food, Brasserie Marigny for hip surroundings (though quite loud) and upscale food, and Snug Harbor for mediocre food but good jazz on site. This neighborhood is really up and coming with the locals and now tourists.

And as some posters have said, Mid City Rock-N-Bowl is probably the best music venue in the city. But there's not much to eat in the area and you would have to take a cab.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:57 PM
gabrielle

Thanks to all!!!
I feel much better about where to go and what to do.
I will write back in afterwards to let you know how it went. As for the mid life crisis......isnt that when you trade in your old husband for the newer model???