Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   In need of some help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/in-need-of-some-help-219703/)

Mona May 13th, 2002 12:56 AM

In need of some help

We are planning a trip to CA.<BR>There is a lot of bad things about San Fran on this site. So, what are the "god areas" in SF?<BR>Then, is it difficult to drive up the Pacific coast if you are from Europe?<BR>Then, what carrental should we use?<BR>And how much time should we reserv for the trip up from LA to SF?<BR>We only have 3 weeks vacation!!!!<BR>Hoteltips: How does Farmers Daughter in LA sound? And if we decide to stay in SF, how does Cow Hollow sound?<BR>Or should we skip SF and stay in Sausalito or Tiburon? Hoteltips in these areas are welcome too.

katie May 13th, 2002 05:18 AM

I think you are definitely in need of lots of research! Try doing a text search first,using the words San Francisco, read as many guide books as you can,get some idea of what part of the city you would like to be in,what kind of hotels you like and the cost.<BR>I would recommend staying in the city,Tiburon and Sausolito are good for a day,but you will want to be in the city.There is so much to see and do!<BR>Good luck and have a great trip!<BR>

Carla May 13th, 2002 05:50 AM

Mona,<BR><BR>I think that if you decide to visit the San Francisco area, you would be better off staying in Sausalito or Tiburon. They have great views of SF, and you will not have to put up with the negative aspects of staying in town. I have lived in the SF area for about 15 yrs., and unfortunately, alot of the negative comments about SF are true. If you decide not to come up to SF, I would spend some additional times on the Pacific Coast. (www.monterey.com)should give you some idea about things to do in the area. The coastal scenery around Monterey, Carmel, and further south in Big Sur is spectacular.

Linda May 13th, 2002 05:51 AM

The drive from LA to SF is something that you will want to take a few days (or more) to do. <BR><BR>You'll want to follow Highway 1. I have done this drive a number of times and typically spend a few nights in San Diego to go to the zoo and walk the beaches (San Diego is a few hours south of LA) taking a side trip down to Mexico (45 minute drive from San Diego), a few nights in Santa Barbara, a night in Ojai or Cambria, I stop at the Hearst Castle, drive through Big Sur and spend a few nights in Carmel or Monteray (I usually bike the 17 mile drive near Pebble Beach - a much better experience than driving - you can rent bikes at Monteray Plaza). <BR><BR>I am not crazy about Cow Hollow - I usually stay at one of the more expensive hotels in Union Square since I travel alone and it feels safe. Don't miss walking over the Golden Gate and the tour of Alcatraz.<BR><BR>I also spend a few nights in wine country - Sonoma is less touristy than Napa. I usually go to the Sonoma Mission Inn and spa. My favorite place in wine country is Oakville - Cakebread Winery, the Oakville Grocer (great picnic supplies), Robert Mondavi (excellent tour) and Plumpjack are all in this area.<BR><BR>3 weeks is plenty of time (I usually do it in 10 days). <BR><BR>With 3 weeks on your hands, you may want to consider a drive out to Yosemite as well.

x May 13th, 2002 08:22 AM

If you are starting from LA and driving north the trip up the coast should be fine. It is far easier to drive north than it is to drive south. Driving north puts you on the mountain side of the road and an awesome view of the ocean without feeling like you'll drive off the edge.<BR><BR>Coming north you might want to stop in Santa Barbara as others have said or go a little further. Ojai would not be as far as Santa Barbara and is quite a bit in-land. <BR><BR><BR>Be aware that being from Europe you may not be able to cross into Mexico as eaily as americans do. Before you do this you should make sure you will have no problems returning. BTW Tijuana is not a good destination so you may want to save Mexico for a different vacation.<BR><BR>There are many car rental companies available. National, Budget, Enterprise,etc. If you smoke you may want to mention this as many car rental agnecies in CA do not allow smoking in their cars.<BR><BR>Three weeks is plenty of time to explore the coast and as Linda above says you even have time to go to Yosemite.<BR>

Mona May 13th, 2002 08:28 AM

A very big THANK YOU to Katie, Carla and Linda.<BR>I´ve been surfing the internet a lot, but I think it is better to get information from people who has been there. So, Cow Hollow is not to recommend? Good to know! <BR>Then about the car rental, is it Avis or Hertz?<BR>And then about the driving, is it difficult to drive in LA? Can you easy get lost and end up in the desert instead of in Santa Barbara? <BR>Any suggestions for hotels/B&B:s/motels in Sausalito or Tiburon?

Mona May 13th, 2002 08:34 AM

Thank you too, X!<BR>Didn´t see your answer before I posted mine. Do you have more suggestions for stops along the Pacific Highway?<BR>Maybe I should say that we are planning on staying in LA for 3-4 days and then in Sebastopol (north of SF) at a friends house. So we will probably see a lot of the winecounty. The last 5 days we are thinking of spending in Pacific Grove, to relax the most before going home to the grey reality.<BR>I´m very greatful for answers. Thank you!

Sharon May 13th, 2002 08:40 AM

Mona,<BR>Cow Hollow can be a beautiful area to stay. It is largely residential except for one street of shopping, cafes and restaurants - Union Street. It is nestled at the base of Pacific Heights and has a great feel. But I would say that you should describe what you are looking for and then people can respond directly to your interests.<BR><BR>If you want to be in the heart of the city - Union Square is it. If you want to be near touristy attractions, then maybe you should stay in Fisherman's Wharf. If you want Bohemian culture, then maybe North Beach is for you. If you want less of an urban setting, Tiburon or Sausalito might be a better choice for you.<BR><BR>The posts on this site about this city are filled with hyperbole and extreme reactions. San Francisco is a very safe and friendly city. I think you will find coming from Europe that it fits with your idea of what a city is and has to offer.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful visit!

Mona May 13th, 2002 08:49 AM

Thank´s Sharon!<BR>We are looking for a not so expencive but clean place to stay. And it must be in a safe area. Last time we stayed at Powell Hotel in 1997. That´s why I think it would be better to stay in the Fisherman´s area now. We didn´t see so much of it last time. (very busy with shopping on Market street) :)<BR>But I think things are different these days. Is it realy true about these homeless people? Last time only one came up to me and asked me for money. I probably looked so dum (beacause we don´t have this where I live) that he went on walking and left me standing there looking like a questionsmark(?).<BR>Sorry about my spelling!!

sharon May 13th, 2002 09:01 AM

Mona,<BR>I have lived in the city for the last decade and plan to live here the rest of my life. I might be a bad person to ask about the homeless because I love my city - warts and all. I have never felt unsafe because of a homeless person. I have been approaced, but a kind response usually gets the person to leave me alone. This will probably get a whole bunch of people to share their bad experiences now, but I have not had one myself.<BR><BR>Anyway, here are some hotel recommendations that should fit your requirements. Are you looking for any specific amenities? Do you want atmosphere?<BR><BR>Cow Hollow:<BR>HOTEL DEL SOL (see Fodor's review) <BR>3100 Webster St., San Francisco, CA 94123, USA <BR>Phone: 415/921-5520 or 877/433-5765 <BR>Fax: 415/931-4137 <BR><BR>BED AND BREAKFAST INN <BR>Location: 4 Charlton Ct., at Union St., <BR>San Francisco, CA 94123, USA <BR>Phone: 415/921-9784 <BR>Fax: 415/921-0544 <BR><BR>PACIFIC HEIGHTS INN <BR>Location: 1555 Union St., <BR>San Francisco, CA 94123, USA <BR>Phone: 415/776-3310 or 800/523-1801 <BR>Fax: 415/776-8176 <BR><BR>I can recommend others if you give me more of an idea about what you like in a hotel.

Mona May 13th, 2002 09:10 AM

Sharon!<BR>I´m not used to travelling a lot so I don´t have a lot of expiriences from hotels. But one thing I like is friendly staff. Clean place, that´s not so bad! And then again the safety thing!<BR>We, ourselves, are living in the archipelago, so you can imagen that we don´t need any fancy things. A roof over our heads in a clean and safe area, not so far from Fisherman´s Warf.<BR>Many criterias don´t you think?<BR>Do you have any expirience of hotels and motels in LA too?<BR>

Susan May 13th, 2002 09:18 AM

Mona, I'll second the recommendation for Hotel Del Sol. The staff is great and they will give you many recommendations on restaurants in walking distance, sights to see, etc. You can walk from there to Fisherman's Wharf, if you don't mind walking about a mile along the bay, a beautiful part of the city. Cow Hollow is a very safe part of town.<BR><BR>I agree you should add Yosemite to your trip. Three weeks should be plenty of time to see it all. What time of year are you visiting?

sharon May 13th, 2002 09:22 AM

Mona,<BR>I think you will be quite happy with Hotel del Sol. Here is their web site. take a look and if you do not like it, I will try to give you another choice. http://www.thehoteldelsol.com/<BR><BR>Where in LA do you want to stay?

Stacey May 13th, 2002 09:22 AM

Mona,<BR><BR>In answer to your question about the awful homeless problem yes, it is true. I hate to say it but I have to admit the truth about my city. Be very aware of your surroundings.

Mona May 13th, 2002 09:27 AM

Susan!<BR>We are planning on going as soon as possible. I´m studying right now and hope to get reade with that before the end of this year or at the latest next spring. Last time we where there it was october-november, so maybe it will be april-may this time. Do you think I´m starting the planning too early if it is going to be next spring?

Mona May 13th, 2002 09:32 AM

Sharon!<BR>We don´t have a clue where to stay in LA!<BR>Last time we stayed at Beverly House hotel.......that doesn´t exsist anymore.<BR>Some ideas we have picked up from internet. <BR>Farmers Daughter motel located in Fairfax area very near Farmers Market and Melrose. Don´t know enything about it. Do you???<BR>I´m most greatful for your answers!!<BR>(Did I write that once already?)

Mona May 13th, 2002 09:44 AM

I checked out the Hotel Del Sol..it looked very nice. Do you know if there is any breakfast places nearby. We eat A LOT in the mornings!! :)<BR>A complimentary breakfast is not enough.<BR>And then once again about the homeless, are they around Fisherman´s Warf too??<BR>I thought they where more around Market Street?

Susan May 13th, 2002 10:38 AM

Mona, May should be lovely. I just spent the day in San Francisco on Sunday (Mother's Day) and it was gorgeous and sunny. The parks were full of people flying kites and playing with their kids. The bay was dotted with sailboats and the skyline was clear and glittering from the view across the Golden Gate. Always bring sweaters and long pants to San Francisco, as the weather is often cool. In my opinion, it is never too early to start planning. That's one of my favorite parts of travel and why I'm on this board. <BR><BR>As far as breakfast is concerned, I wouldn't count on a big spread from the Hotel Del Sol. There is a coffee place in walking distance called the Coffee Roastery, also La Nouvelle Patisserie, where you can get lovely breakfast pastries and good java.

NoWay May 13th, 2002 10:45 AM

You forgot to mention that all the millions of SF homeless were chasing the tourists and then barbequeing them in an open pit South of Market. As a person who has lived in SF all of my life, I find it quite discouraging that they use a spicy barbeque sauce. Anybody in SF with class knows the sauce should be smokey variety.<BR>What wine goes good with tourist?

Mona May 13th, 2002 11:07 AM

Sharon!<BR>It sounds lovely!! I think we settle for april-may then!<BR>Thanks for the good tips. I will print them and save them for our trip.<BR>Send in some more if you can.<BR>And then to NoWay: I heard that Olvi is a good thing that goes with tourists. Do you even know what that is?