In LA Nov. 15-22, Lion King, what else?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:40 AM
John True

In LA Nov. 15-22, Lion King, what else?

Hi, I am planning a trip that is just now coming together. I will be in my primary vacation after in AZ (starts Friday Nov. 22), but I've found an event on Saturday Nov. 16 9am-4 pm in Los Angeles. Otherwise I got a ticket for The Lion King on Thursday Night (21st?). The Sat. thing is in a hotel 1 mile south of LAX @ $59/day (7 night stay); should I just stay there the whole time?

I will be traveling alone, any cool places to go? I was thinking about Universal Studios, other studio tours, maybe seeing a really good play. I'm 33, so am I too old for Disney? Anything I need to plan ahead of time, or can I just explore when I arrive?
If it helps, I'm a straight white male who is an educated introverted extrovert, and this will be my first time on the West coast! I've seen the Atlantic A LOT, so it'll be great to see the Pacific finally! What's a good beach just to visit for a few hours by LA?

I've read about a few quirky places that sounded fun, like the girl in the box at the Standard Hotel in W. Hollywood and Lo-fi. The more modestly priced places would be nice, but darn-it I AM on vacation! I'll just go into credit card debt like the rest of America, I suppose -- Lord knows I've held out long enough!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:54 AM
xxx

Whatever you do, don't stay at an LAX airport for a week. Absolutely nothing to do in the area.

I'd book a room in Santa Monica or in the South Bay (Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan Beach).

Disneyland appeals to all ages. California Adventure might be an idea for you. California Soarin' is a fun ride for seeing an overview of California.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Joe

I would suggest 3-4 days in and around Hollywood and 3-4 days near Santa Monica/Venice Beach. I don't think you'll find $59/night though.

I would also check out Getty Museum, Farmer's Market, and check into events at music center downtown. Driving down to Laguna Beach/Newport would also be a great choice. I really don't care for south bay beaches and would stick to Venice/SM and LB/NB.

Disney would be OK, but if you want thrill rides/roller coasters choose Magic Mountain although the crowd will be seedier.

Have fun

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:57 AM
Lori

What is the name of the hotel 1 mile south of LAX? You can go a few miles further south and be in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach - all very good choices as a place to stay, and quite close to LAX as well (a couple of minutes). For sure go to the Getty Museum, it's got views to die for.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
John True

First of all, thanks so far for all your replies. I have written them down and will take them in serious consideration. I really apprecaite your true responses.

The name of the hotel is Hacienda Hotel At LAX, this is their website: http://www.haciendahotel.com/
I guess I know now why it is so cheap, there is nothing else there?
I already booked there, but after arriving Friday night, I suppose that is the only time I need to stay at that particular place.

What's the weeather been like? I won't be spending too much time at the beach 'cause I know I'm there out of season, I just want to be on one for a while.

Thanks again, everybody! Sorry about the dorky long question to start this thing, whatever.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:54 AM
Lori

John,
The Hacienda is not bad - honest! We've actually stayed there a couple of times coming and going from Europe/Hawaii. It's a large hotel, rooms range from small and blah to large and not too bad! It's an easy shot down to the beach communities just south of LAX and equally easy to shot up to Venice, Santa Monica, etc. If the price is right I'd stay there and it seems like $59 is pretty darn reasonable for the LA area. It's really very easy to get over to the beach from The Hacienda but you doneed a rental car.
It may not be the most luxurious or glamourous hotel in LA but it's OK. A lot of airline crews stay there too we noticed. I think it may be a little further then 1 miles from LAX - more like 2 or 3 I'd say. As I said, personally I prefer the area just south of LAX (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo Beaches). There is a nice Holiday Inn Express in Hermosa Beach. We stayed there last year. Rooms were large, nice bathrooms, etc. It is about $99/night tho on their website.
We really liked it. A lot depends on your budget. If you are watching the money The Hacienda is fine. There are scads of hotels/motels in the Marina del Rey area too, most are pretty expensive tho. I used to live in LA so I'm very familiar with these areas.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:53 AM
Janet

On our way to Hawaii w will be stopping over in LA. We need a Marriott for 2 nights. Any recommendations? Perhaps somewhere we could walk around and see the sights/dine etc. Thanks

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:27 AM
Deborah

The Hacienda is quite close to LAX. Easy access to 405 freeway. I think that hotel is fine as long as you rent a car. The Pantages Theater where the Lion King is playing is in Hollywood, so not very close by. With a car, you can also drive to downtown and go to Olvera Street and Chinatown. You can also drive to Long Beach to the Aquarium of the Pacific. The Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is fun to browse and you could rent a bike at the beach and ride the bike path either to Malibu or Hermosa Beach depending on which way you go. The weather here has been high 60's low 70's, overcast in a.m. Cool in evenings, 10 degrees cooler at the beach usually than in town. You could also go to the Los Angeles County Museum in the Mid-Wilshire area. Universal is fun for a day. Have fun.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:58 PM
John True

Thanks everybody.

I am thinking for a seven night stay I MIGHT just stay at Hacienda. $59/night at a decent place is hard to pass up. It might be OK to pay for a car, that'll make up for the minimum $120 at other places I think. If I were bringing a girl or were with my family, I might reconsider. I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I think i might just stay there. The only thing is the traffic, I guess. That, and I won't know the best way to get to places if I rent a car. Even with a map, without living here for a while .. I could swallow my pride and ask for directions (ha ha).

I am looking for a good glimpse of the city when I am there. I do not want to do things that are too touristy or cultured or whatever. I'd like to get a feel for what makes L.A. what it is, I guess. Does that make any sense? If I were with a girl, I'd wanna be more romantic and big places. With my family we'd go to cultural things and 2-3 tourist spots.
I will have to narrow down my ideas, but you all have been a good help.

Thanks again!

--JT