Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Unique, romantic hotel near orlando conference center?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Dan

Attending an April meeting in Orlando with my fiance and would like to stay somewhere romantic (hot tub, pool, sauna etc) with alot of character. Not crazy about Disney but will be visiting there eventually. Any advise on hotels or B&Bs in the area. Are there any beaches nearby worth visiting (within 1 -2 hrs).

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Merilee

The only one I can think of is called Meadow Marsh - it's an estate on 12 acres...it's at 940 Tildenville School Drive in Orlando...they have several beautifully decorated rooms and suites along with a private garden cottage that was once a shed...it has a whirlpool for 2 and an electric fireplace...Prices range from $119 - $299 a night. I can't think of any romantic hotels except for maybe a couple of the Disney resorts like the Grand Floridian. Anyway, Meadhow Marsh has a website at www.meadowmarsh.net Good luck!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Celeste

Meadow Marsh is not in Orlando, it's about 15 miles west in Winter Garden. About a 30 minute ride to the convention center.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Celeste

Oops, forgot about the beaches! The Atlantic side (90 minutes away) has waves and sometimes rough water, Cocoa Beach and New Symrna Beach are the closest. Tiny waves, clearer water, very soft sand describes the Gulf side, about 2 hours west to Clearwater Beach.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Kevin

Orlando is strip mall heaven and the poster child city for plastic America.
There's nothing unique, classy or romantic anywhere around the convention center (for miles) except the Peabody, which is simply a nice business oriented hotel. It's well done and the best in the area, but I'm not sure I can stretch the word romantic across it.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Sal

Consider the Villas at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. They are very luxurious and set in a very tropical location apart from the main hotel.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:06 AM
Liam

I agree with Kevin. "Romantic-Orlando" is an oxymoron (unless you consider theme motels alongside strip malls "romantic"). I agree that the Peabody is probably your best bet.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:37 AM
duck

We always stay at The Peabody when we visit Orlando. Can be crowded with conventioners but not many childen and tourists around. Huge outside pool and hot tub located on second level of hotel. Pool area also has a bar area and waiter/waitress service, they bring frozen drinks to you as you sun. Hot tub is vacant at night and we often ride the elevator down in our peabody robes with a bottle of wine and have it to ourselves. Have to agree with the other posters it is def. not "romantic' but is probably the closest to it in Orlando.

Also, I have found that calling numerous times for reservations is the best way to go. Depending on the agent you get there can be huge price fluctuations. Keep calling and asking for specials until you get the lowest rate offered. We were once quoted 320 by one agent and 180 by another. We always stay on the club floor. Includes breakfas items, dinner aps and desserts. Enjoy.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Lorraine

Try the Portofino Bay Hotel. Its in universal studios area