Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

IMPORTANT!!! Call the airlines to confirm your flights!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Laura

Just saw this warning on the Europe board by another poster, so I called my airlines to confirm, (I leave for San Diego on Saturday) and sure enough, the flight # on one leg of my flight had been changed and the time on another leg had been changed. Delta said they would not have called me to tell me of the changes......so realize that your flight #s and times may be different than what is on your ticket and call at least a day in advance to confirm!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Suzie

Thanks for the heads up Laura. Do you know if this is an issue specific to certain airlines?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Laura

Hi Suzie,

No, the original poster said her problem was with Continental and mine was with Delta. Not worth taking the chance that there could be a change....I would call anyway.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:25 AM
John

Excellent advice. We have had this happen to us many times. Especially if you get tickets way in advance. Schedule changes are "supposed" to be communicated if they are more than 30 min or so. Guess what?
We now recheck our flights several days ahead.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Dawn Cooper

That is always good advice. Delta has always called me so far. Sometimes they call me so far out (5 months) to tell me of a 7 minute change. Then they tell me that they will send an updated itinerary and I have to call for it. Always cover your bases is probably the best policy.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:52 AM
J T Kirk

I concur: Always call to confirm.
But as Dawn said, Delta has always called me (well in advance) to tell me what changes have been made, which are usually only a matter of minutes.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Gail

Great advice! I suggest also that yoy confirm your ticket before leaving your original destination- We got stuck in Freeport Customs for 6 hours because upon leaving Miami the ticket agent inadvertantly (?) cancelled all of our return flights!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Cindy

Good advice but I can't agree with Delta being on the ball. They called us
AT HOME during our vacation to inform us of our flight being cancelled instead of the hotel we were staying at! I could've excused them except I had left our vacation number with Main Reservations TWICE in case of a problem.
Now we call no sooner than 12 hours before the flights to confirm and we ALWAYS call!!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 01:50 PM
rqf

You better not be holding your breath waiting for the airline to call you. Excellent advice on calling a day or two before the flight to make sure there are no changes. In December the time on my ticket (American) from the Dominican Republic to San Juan was wrong. The people who handled the transfers brought it to my attention when I saw them to make arrangements for the trip from the hotel to the airport.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Sally

I just got a call today from American Trans Air letting me know that my flight times and numbers had been changed for a trip I'm taking next month....I've had good luck with this airline on several occations.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:05 AM
Howard

I'm surprised this should come as a surprise to anyone. One should always reconfirm his/her airline reservations (as well as a car rental, hotel reservation, etc.). That's a given!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 08:43 AM
happy traveler

Gosh Howard kinda cranky post. Lots of first time or infrequent travelers here are looking for good traveling tips. We could all use a reminder now and then. Might get so causght up in the excitement of a vacation that a little reminder could do us all some good.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:01 AM
JB

PLEASE CALL .. had a situation recently where the airline had my husband and I on two different flights because they had changed the times of the flights by many hours (and did not tell us)and by chance I called to confirm and they had us on two different planes even though my tickets had us on same plane. Glad I called to confirm and always will!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:48 AM
Howard

Sorry, happy traveler, I didn't mean to sound cranky. I was trying to be emphatic. Reconfirming should be just as automatic as packing your toothbrush and remembering your credit cards when preparing for a trip!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:30 AM
Julie

I guess sometimes in the excitement of planning a trip we forget to re-confirming our flights. And (unfortunately) we can't always depend on the airlines to notify us...there's nothing like a bad experience to make us be more proactive. Thanks for the reminder Laura - having had a similar experience recently, I know that I will add "reconfirm flight" back to my list of things to do.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:09 AM
L

Like others, I enjoyed the call about the time change, even as the airline failed to also tell me about the change in equipment. So, I then knew we'd be departing 20 minutes late, but didn't know we'd be in center seats, had lost the aisle ... to Buenos Aires, 10 hours overnight. Thanks American ... I'm ready fly when you are! Oh, may I tell you about dear Midway, which called to tell me my return from Atlanta to DC would be leaving late ... about 24 hours late in fact. Midway simply decided they weren't flying from Hartsfiled to National on that particular Sunday. And I was so looking forward to the long layover in Raleigh-Durham. But Midway did suggest where I might stay overnight, at my expense, and promised a dinner chit for the airport. Midway, your planes may be yellow but you're okay with me. Ciao

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:37 PM
GoingTo

We got a call from ATA about flight number and time change, which I thought was very considerate given the departure/arrival times changed by only two minutes.

I regard ATA as somewhat of a down-scale airline, but I appreciated them doing this!