Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I'm sold on Friday nite at the Met (NYC)...but now, where to have dinner? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/im-sold-on-friday-nite-at-the-met-nyc-but-now-where-to-have-dinner-194235/)

arjay Apr 8th, 2002 10:02 AM

I'm sold on Friday nite at the Met (NYC)...but now, where to have dinner?

Having read the various posts about music at the Metropolitan Museum on Friday nites, we've penciled that in...but can anyone offer suggestion of someplace for dinner after? Specs: preferably a walk or short cab ride away; not too "ethnic" and won't break the bank? (Under $60/2- the further under the better!) Thanks!

Ted Apr 8th, 2002 10:26 AM

There are literally dozens of restaurants that fit your criteria just to the east of the museum along Second and Third Avenues. I'd suggest checking www.zagat.com for Upper East Side locations between 75th & 90th Street. A few samples:<BR><BR>Mustang on Second Ave @ 85th Street. Casual astmosphere, southwest cuisine. <BR><BR>Mangiarini & Tony's Di Napoli, both on Second in the low 80's. Excellent Italian. Tony's is huge, Mangiarini is very intimate. <BR><BR>Jasmine on Second at 84th. Good Thai.<BR><BR>Ota-ya on Second, low 80's -- Japanese. <BR><BR>Lily's on Third Avenue @ 85th -- Chinese.<BR><BR>Shiki on Third Ave @ 88th -- Great sushi. <BR><BR>All of these options and many more are within walking distance of the museum. Enjoy.

Ted Apr 8th, 2002 10:28 AM

There are literally dozens of restaurants that fit your criteria just to the east of the museum along Second and Third Avenues. I'd suggest checking www.zagat.com for Upper East Side locations between 75th & 90th Street. A few samples:<BR><BR>Mustang on Second Ave @ 85th Street. Casual astmosphere, southwest cuisine. <BR><BR>Mangiarini & Tony's Di Napoli, both on Second in the low 80's. Excellent Italian. Tony's is huge, Mangiarini is very intimate. <BR><BR>Jasmine on Second at 84th. Good Thai.<BR><BR>Ota-ya on Second, low 80's -- Japanese. <BR><BR>Lily's on Third Avenue @ 85th -- Chinese.<BR><BR>Shiki on Third Ave @ 88th -- Great sushi. <BR><BR>All of these options and many more are within walking distance of the museum. If they're too ethnic, there are also plenty of diners and restaurants with traditional American fare, such as Jackson Hole etc. Enjoy.

Owen O'Neill Apr 8th, 2002 11:06 AM

You might consider Pio Pio on 1st Ave between 90th and 91st Streets. It's peruvian food, the specialty of which is marinated grilled chicken. It's the best chicken I've ever eaten - slightly tangy marinade but not hot (in the spicy sense). There is a green hot sauce type condiment served on the side that you can add if you like spicy. They also have fried calamari and a few other dishes but it's a very basic menu and moderately priced. Portions are large. We got a fried seafood dish for one, a chicken dinner and a side dish (rice and something - can't recall what but it was tasty). It was more food than we could finish and bill was about $40 including tip (no wine or dessert). Very small and nice atmosphere - sort of rustic but in a good way. Alsso might consider Totonno's Pizza on Second Avenue in the 80's - sit-down only (not a take-out place for slices). They have salads and some other Italian dishes but their coal oven pizza is fantastic - thin crust and top-shelf ingredients. We had the Margherita with fresh mozzarella - close to the best pizza I've ever had.

Elizabeth Apr 8th, 2002 11:37 AM

Those places sound great, though you should know they're a 20-30 minute walk.<BR>or two minute cab ride, or nice busride East on 86th Street (my choice probably).<BR><BR> Someone else will know better, but I think you can eat during that concert. I don't know what they have to eat, but there's some kind of food service, and I also don't know how you gt a table.

Jim Apr 8th, 2002 01:02 PM

Try Ye Olde Triple Inn on 53rd.

Ellen Apr 8th, 2002 01:20 PM

Try Serafina at 79th & Madison. Very short walk from the museum. The restaurant is on the 2nd floor and they have a terrace room if the weather is nice. Menu includes brick oven pizza, pasta, salads, fish. Cozy trattoria atmosphere.

lisa Apr 8th, 2002 02:15 PM

Serafina's a good pick, as is Caffe Grazie. Here is a link to Zagat's info about it:<BR>http://www.zagat.com/search/Details.asp?RID=11948&NDPH=grazie&VID=1&PID=1&LID= 14<BR><BR>However, I fear both Serafina and Caffe Grazie will put you over your $60/2 limit. If so, stick with Ted's recommendations or you can also try Pesce Pasta on 3rd Avenue between 87 & 88. A very reasonable Italian place with lots of great seafood and a delicious antipasto bar.<BR><BR>

lisa Apr 8th, 2002 02:15 PM

Serafina's a good pick, as is Caffe Grazie. Here is a link to Zagat's info about it:<BR>http://www.zagat.com/search/Details.asp?RID=11948&NDPH=grazie&VID=1&PID=1&LID= 14<BR><BR>However, I fear both Serafina and Caffe Grazie will put you over your $60/2 limit. If so, stick with Ted's recommendations or you can also try Pesce Pasta on 3rd Avenue between 87 & 88. A very reasonable Italian place with lots of great seafood and a delicious antipasto bar.<BR><BR>BTW, there is no real food at the Museum during the music. I think I recall that they had biscotti and breadsticks -- snacks, but no real substantial food.<BR><BR>

Barbara Apr 8th, 2002 02:42 PM

Arjay, you too the post right out of my mouth.<BR><BR>Serafine, Caffe Grazie etc..are reservations required for Friday night? We too are looking for dining suggestions after 8:00PM when the museum closes.<BR>

Barbara Apr 8th, 2002 02:44 PM

<BR>Oops typos, You _took_ the post right out of my mouth, and Serafina.<BR><BR>Fingers faster than brain.

Ted Apr 8th, 2002 03:54 PM

Hold on. 20-30 minute walk from the Metropolitan Museum to 2nd/3rd Avenue?? I could crawl that distance in less than 20 minutes. Plus it's a great walk for tourists through a great residential area. <BR><BR>

Elizabeth Apr 8th, 2002 04:39 PM

I say: three minutes a crosstown block, which = 15 from Fifth to Second; extra time for any up/down walking, and extra time for usual walking pace of visitors.

Elizabeth Apr 8th, 2002 04:39 PM

I say: three minutes a crosstown block, which = 15 minutes from Fifth to Second; extra time for any up/down walking, and extra time for usual walking pace of visitors.

tom Apr 8th, 2002 06:30 PM

I say: You walk slowly. Pick it up, if you're a real New Yorker!

arjay Apr 8th, 2002 06:39 PM

Great suggestions! Thanks to all of you - I'm printing this thread right this minute. We leave tomorrow - will hightail it up the river (FDR, etc) for a couple of days and then it's on to Manhattan. Again - thanks for all the help

cindy Apr 9th, 2002 07:00 AM

Could somebody please enlighten me about these Friday concerts? I couldn't find out anything on the museum's website. I'm going to be in NYC next week and this might be a nice thing to do.

topmost Apr 9th, 2002 12:36 PM

ttt