Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I'm so confused - is the Hotel Hana-Maui incredible or a dump? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/im-so-confused-is-the-hotel-hana-maui-incredible-or-a-dump-183846/)

gina Mar 28th, 2002 05:47 AM

I'm so confused - is the Hotel Hana-Maui incredible or a dump?

I've seen posts which sing the praises of the Hotel Hana-Maui and others which rip it to shreds (especially in rants and raves).<BR><BR>Based on some positive comments, we were headed there for part of our honeymoon, but are now rethinking it when I read some of the comments.<BR><BR>Can anyone give us more detailed info on what is wrong/right about the hotel so we can try to make up our minds? (By the way, we know the pros/cons of Hana itself, and we are looking for that level of calm since it is our honeymoon.)<BR><BR>Thank you!!<BR><BR>Gina

lou Mar 28th, 2002 12:50 PM

Definately stay in Hana a night or two. However check out house rentals, We absolutely loved Hamoa Bay House---just incredible at about 180 a night. Hotel Hana appears overpriced, you can't cook so meals will add up fast. Do a websearch for Hana lodging. There are some very nice, reasonable rentals, wonderfully decorated with gourmet kitchens. GL

Gina Mar 28th, 2002 12:57 PM

Thanks for your feedback, Lou.<BR><BR>Since this is for our honeymoon - we're not as concerned with reasonable prices or cooking our own meals this time around! (In fact we turned down a very generous offer to stay in a friend's condo on Kuaui for this very reason.)<BR><BR>We are interested in a peaceful, pampering stay at a full service resort and we're willing to pay for it - provided we get what we pay for. This post is just trying to make sure we DO get what we pay for!

x Mar 28th, 2002 01:19 PM

Here's what Maui Revealed Book says about Hotel Hana. I suggest you buy the book. Read fast before fodors deletes this cut and paste.<BR>"The newer Sea Ranch Cottages have some nice views. We like rooms 217 & 218 best; outrageous ocean views and private jacuzzis. Also excellent are 215 & 216 (no private jacuzzis but you pay the same). Also nice are 407 & 408. Overall Hotel Hana Maui is undoubtedly overpriced, but it's the kind of place that will soothe you soul."

Robin Mar 28th, 2002 02:25 PM

Hi Gina--<BR><BR>Friends of mine stayed at the Hotel Hana-Maui for their honeymoon (about 10 years ago), and loved it so much they named their daughter Hana (no, she wasn't conceived there!) Seriously, they can't say enough about it.<BR><BR>One thing you should notice about the various comments is that there have been a lot of management changes in the last few years. In general that's not really positive, since it's obviously not stable, but my point is that some of the negative experiences took place under previous management.<BR><BR>I would suggest continuing to ask for up to date reports, and then make your decision.

D Mar 28th, 2002 02:27 PM

Make sure you seek out the nearby, red sand beach. It is a very beautiful and romantic spot. Directions are in the Fodors guide or probably Maui Revealed (best guide book).

Ben Mar 28th, 2002 04:05 PM

We stayed there about a year and a half ago. The hospitality is wonderful but the room needed sprucing up.