Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   I'm really stuck - please help - Washington DC hotels and is the Metro safe! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/im-really-stuck-please-help-washington-dc-hotels-and-is-the-metro-safe-166496/)

Shelley Mar 3rd, 2002 01:30 AM

I'm really stuck - please help - Washington DC hotels and is the Metro safe!

Hi<BR><BR>Thanks to everyone on my previous posting for all your help - I really appreciate it. However, I feel I am really in a quandry!<BR><BR>Without question the Renaissance Mayflower is throwing out the best deal, but there are several others not to far off! <BR><BR>I still don't feel clear on my concerns over the Mayflower - it looks wonderfully located, but just how far is it to walk to the restaurants in Dupont Circle? Is this a safe walk? <BR><BR>Regarding restaurants near the Mayflower - are there many and are they safely walkable? <BR><BR>The other hotels in question are:<BR>*Westin Grand<BR>*Radisson Barcelo<BR>*Westin Fairfax<BR>*Monarch Hotel<BR><BR>*How do these hotels fair in standard to the Mayflower?<BR><BR>Finally, just how safe is the Metro? I note one poster suggests not using it! If anyone has been to London, is it a similar set up to the London Tube?<BR><BR>Thank you all so much - this site is invaluable!<BR><BR>Shelley - UK<BR><BR>

AC Mar 3rd, 2002 01:54 AM

Hi Shelley:<BR>I cannot tell you about the hotels, but I was in DC at Christmas and used the Metro everywhere! It was easy and very safe. Not much different than the London tube which I used last June. I use the NYC subway system all the time and found the Metro super easy. Just you the same common sense you use at home. I logged onto www.wmata.com and got a map I downloaded. I checked my guide book to see which Metro Station I needed and voila!!! Success. The people who work the booth in each station were friendly and helpful. The stations are stocked with brochures and maps and the Metro tickets machines are EASY!! We bought the all day $5.00 passes and they were invaluable. Hope this helps. Feel free to email me directly if I can help any further. Have a great time!

Stephanie P. Mar 3rd, 2002 03:28 AM

The Metro is very safe. I have used it many, many, times since I lived in D.C. twice. There are cameras in the booth that a public transit employee sits in that shows the view downstairs where you get the subway. There are security people walking around the areas too. Since 9/11, I think all of D.C. will be on higher alert than usual. There is a Connecticut Avenue subway not far from the Mayflower, I think its called Farrugut. It is on the Red Line. I use to take the subway to this all the time to get to work. I really would not be overly concerned about safety. I have never felt threatned in D.C. I'd be cautious just like any other big city. If you are extremely worried about safety, stay in Old Town Alexandria, VA (about 5 miles from D.C.) at the Holiday Inn on King Street. Never stayed there but it's a little elegant hotel, there is always alot of people traffic and you are within easy walking distance of many, many, restaurants. You may also want to stay in Rosslyn, VA, just across the bridge to D.C. and stay at one of the hotels in that suburb. I'm not crazy about staying in D.C. but I have lived in Virginia before and like staying in historical Alex, VA. If you stay at the Best Western in Old Town, there is a grocery store right across the street from you. Very convenient.

Jim Rosenberg Mar 3rd, 2002 04:27 AM

I am a huge fan of the Radisson Barcelo for its location, proximity to the metro and its HUGE rooms. Also, I've often been able to come up with a great deal there. Give it a hard look. :o)<BR>

Mary Mar 3rd, 2002 06:20 AM

I can't tell you anything about the other hotels, but I work across the street from the Mayflower, and it's a great location. The Farragut North station (red line) is right up the block, and the Farragut West (orange line) is about a 3-block walk. You'd be about a 10-minute walk from Dupont Circle, and a little less than that from the White House. You can even walk to Georgetown in about 20 minutes, though you might want to take a cab if it's late. There are a number of restaurants along Connecticut Ave., and on the side streets between the Mayflower and Dupont Circle. The Metro is very safe and clean, though it is very crowded during rush hour. If you plan on using Metro a lot you should probably investigate getting a pass. For example, I believe a daily pass for unlimited travel is $5.00, but I'm not sure. Your hotel should be able to give you information about that. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

pete Mar 3rd, 2002 07:24 AM

Shelley, All your hotels are good ones as far as location & safety. I have not been inside most of them (except went to a wedding at the Mayflower--very nice), but they are all first rate hotels with good reputations. I think that you will be happy with the location of any one of them. The metro is very safe, especially compared to NYC. It is a similar feeling to the Tube in London. All the stops you would go to (near the tourist attractions) are fine. There are some sketchy areas out on the Green and orange lines (anacostia, benning road), but you won't be going to those stops anyway (no tourist attractions). Enjoy your visit.

alex Mar 3rd, 2002 07:35 AM

My family stayed a ways out, at a Days Inn on Connecticut Ave,. and took the metro everywhere. We found it to be very safe and clean and not too difficult to figure out. And the people who worked there were quite helpful at pointing us in the right direction which we didn't expect in a major city.The only exception was on the 4th of July. Creepy characters and we almost got trampled!

Shelley Mar 3rd, 2002 09:15 AM

A BIG thank you to all those who have helped with my posting - I feel much clearer now.<BR><BR>Just one thing! Regarding the Mayflower - taking into consideration we will be there over a weekend, are there many places to get breakfast near the hotel? <BR><BR>Many thanks.

Tango Mar 3rd, 2002 10:20 AM

Let's see...<BR><BR>I would either walk up to Dupont and grab something at one of the many Starbucks, walk down P street off Dupont and stop at one of the cafes, or eat at the hotel.<BR><BR>There are not nearly as many options as a weekday, but you defintiely will not go hungry.<BR><BR>Relax and have a good time...

LRK Mar 5th, 2002 05:32 PM

Metro is safe and clean. No worries. Never been to London but it is similar to Toronto. We're going in a week and staying at Marriot Metro Center. Got a great rate. Did you check out the Harrington (spelling?) It is very popular with international travelers, not the most beautiful but the location is FABULOUS. Worth checking out.

kal Mar 5th, 2002 05:54 PM

Shelly,<BR>Have to disagree with LRK on the Harrington. I think the general consensus on this board is run, don't walk away from the Harrington. You may want to try a text search on it. The location is the only thing it has going for it IMHO. :-I<BR><BR>Now agree w/ LRK on the Metro Marriott!...It's been our "hotel of choice" in DC the past 3-4 trips back there. The last was this past 4th of July were there was a massive cloudburst.<BR>They had people at each entrance with a mop and then handed out fresh, warm towels to us drenched tourists! Excellent move by the managers!<BR><BR>We will be back.<BR>Kal

hans Mar 6th, 2002 06:46 AM

The Mayflower is my favorite hotel in DC. It's older but has some real class. I've stayed at all of the others (and they are all good) except the Radisson but one of my favorite restuarants is there (Gabriel). Many good restaurants in Dupont Circle and between Dupont and the Mayflower. Mayflower has a great breakfast and weekend brunch but they're expensive. A very good cheap breakfast can be found about 2-3 blocks towards Dupont Circle at Luna Grill. Head about 3 blocks west (M and 19th streets) for good seafood at the Georgetown Seafood Grill (no it's not really in Georgetown). Dorp me a note directly if you wnat more info on this past of DC; I'm there frequently.

hans Mar 6th, 2002 06:51 AM

No wthat I think about it, Gabriel has the best Sunday brunch in town. Look at their website http://yp.washingtonpost.com/E/V/WASDC/0003/19/27/6.html<BR>for more info but it's about $27/person for a HUGE spread of great food. Only two seating and reservations are highly advised.

Mark Durfee Mar 6th, 2002 08:06 AM

Stay at the Mayflower if you are visiting the sites in Washington DC. Week-end brunch at the Hay Adams Hotel which is across LaFayette Park from the White House is excellent and close to the Mayflower. There is no shortage of places to eat in Washington (near the Mayflower), it all comes down to your taste and budget.<BR><BR>Metro is more than safe in areas you would want to see, and downtown is for the most part walkable.<BR><BR>The Cherry Blossoms are due to be in peak bloom the first week of April and due to the drop in tourism since September, this is about the best time in history to visit Washington DC.<BR><BR>I live and work in the Washington DC area. Have a great trip.

John Mar 6th, 2002 10:26 AM

If you want to be near DuPont, stay at the Westin Fairfax. I have stayed at both the Mayflower and the Fairfax, and seen the rooms at the Radisson. The Fairfax has the largest rooms by far. It is not quite as historic as the Mayflower, but of the same caliber. It was previously a Ritz-Carlton and was at one time the home of Al Gore.<BR><BR>The Fairfax is only a block from DuPont and the Metro and the neighborhood is always busy. Even with the tourist trade, the area around the Mayflower and Marriott Metro can sometimes be a bit dead on weekends and at night.

Ron Apr 17th, 2002 05:49 PM

My wife, 10 yr old daughter and I were at the Hotel Harrington in March. It is a funky old place, but the room was huge, clean and quiet, and the beds were extremely comfortable. With so much to do, there was not much time at the hotel other than sleeping. The price was better than anywhere else in town. The location made it easy to walk to most attractions. I would not stay there during the peak school travel season--whenever that is.