Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ilikai or new otani waikiki (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ilikai-or-new-otani-waikiki-845275/)

choc Jun 16th, 2010 10:48 AM

ilikai or new otani waikiki

We are looking for a place to stay our last night in Oahu. We booked hotel renew for the first week, then are heading to Kauai for a week and then one night in honolulu/waikiki before we fly out. Our flight isn't until the evening. S it would be nice to find a place that has a late check out time or amenities near by. The Ilikai and New Otani seemed to both have ocean views and are in quieter areas which we though might work. Any opinions about these 2 hotels?

elnap29 Jun 16th, 2010 11:50 AM

I haven't been to the New Otani for 18 years! (guess it's not so "new" anymore) The location is very serene, right on the beach.

elsiemoo Jun 16th, 2010 11:10 PM

Have stayed at The New Otani, and it is a 10 minute walk from the busy center of Waikiki. The beach/water (don't need a pool; so calm & gentle) is wonderful there, as is the Hau Tree Lanai restaurant (right on the sand.) Get one of the Waikiki View Jr. Suites, which gives you a wraparound view of both the ocean and the lights of Waikiki, as high a floor as possible. (Very reasonable for the view ...) Magnificent at night ... Haven't stayed at the Ilikai but don't believe it's reviews are nearly as good as the New Otani ... have fun!

elsiemoo Jun 16th, 2010 11:13 PM

So sorry ... meant to say "Ocean View Jr. Suite" ... not Waikiki View. :-)

suze Jun 17th, 2010 07:30 AM

I only know the New Otani, but it's a very nice hotel (no pool though) at the quiet end of Waikiki off Sans Souci beach. I think it's a much better rated hotel (more expensive) that the other, isn't it?

lcuy Jun 17th, 2010 09:54 AM

The New Otani is in a quieter area. it is in Kapiolani park, and right on the beach. The Ilikai is not quiet but it is on a marina, so an ocean view room should be unobstructed. It at the tail end of waikiki toward Ala Moana, so easy to walk to the shopping center or Ala moana beach park. More of a hike into Waikiki proper.

I'd choose the New Otani for your last night. and book dinner at the Hau Tree Lanai early enough to enjoy sunset.

If you do stay at the New O, use Kapahulu Ave to access the hotel rather than McCully or Kapahulu at the far end of Waikiki. It will save you lots of time, unless you want to cruise through Waikiki traffic.

Shar Jun 17th, 2010 10:05 PM

New Otani is absolutely in a quieter area and nicer hotel. You will walk through part of Kapiolani Park if you don't mind doing that. It is closer to a neighborhood feel than the Iliaki which is getting a bit tired but I did read via facebook that Marriott is going to be doing something with at least part of the Ilikai and making it a more boutique hotel.

elsiemoo Jun 18th, 2010 05:29 AM

Kapiolani Park is very nice, but I probably wouldn't walk through at 3 AM. It is closed at night, well-policed and you have to stay on the pathways then. That's to prevent the homeless from spending nights there. (But then, I don't walk through parks anywhere in the middle of the night ... :D)

nanabee Jun 18th, 2010 06:46 AM

Yea elsiemoo, I had to give that up too :))

choc Jun 23rd, 2010 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds like it will be the new Otani for us :)

SAB Jun 23rd, 2010 10:53 AM

The New Otani may not have a pool but it's on a great swimming beach.