Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you were only to pick one, which would you choose - Old Lahaina Luau or Warren and Annabelles?

Search

If you were only to pick one, which would you choose - Old Lahaina Luau or Warren and Annabelles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Maui 5 nights and I guess we could do both - but figure one big 'show' is enough for both our style and budget. Which would you recommend???
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

And a quick follow-up question... where can you get the best deals on both of these shows??
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:09 PM

W&A doesn't appeal at all, reckon you can find something similar in many mainland venues. The luau was fun, it's a lovely setting right on the water and overall we thought it was worth it. We booked thru' concierge guy at the condos.
For an indoor show check Ulalena, assuming it's still running. Great choreography and the drumming was stirring.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:18 AM

We went to the W&A show in March. And while I haven't been to the OLL, we did attend the Feast of Lele on this recent trip (which, by the way, I enjoyed more than any luau that I'd attended on previous trips, even though it is more expensive).

If I had to choose between W&A and a luau, I would choose the luau. Warren does a nice show and it is entertaining, but you can see good sleight-of-hand magic anywhere. There really isn't much of a Hawaiian feel to this event. In fact, I thought the auditorium was pretty chilly -- maybe it was because I was coming from Chicago in March, and what I really wanted was warmth and sea breezes! A good luau (and OLL is considered one of the better ones) and the chance to enjoy a beautiful ocean setting and Hawaiian sunset are things that I can't do at home.

As far as good deals, I don't know. I booked both our events about a month before leaving home, as they do tend to sell out. I know with the luaus that walk-up reservations sometimes are possible due to cancellations.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I've only been to Old Lahaina and thought it was great. I did some research before our trip and it seemed to be widely touted as the "best luau" so that is why we chose it. Very festive atmosphere and the hosts/dancers were so friendly. The show actually tells a story of the history of hawaii rather than just putting on a performance. I agree to book it before you even get to Maui. We tried to book ours a week in advance and it was already full - luckily someone else cancelled and we got their spot! Oh, also, if you book really early you can get a great seat up front (if you book later you end up more towards the back).