Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you want to visit a trendy restuarant don't embarass yourself or me!!

Notices

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have cousins who landed her in Los Angeles yesterday and they want me to take them to the trendy places around town such as The Ivy and Dolce. I was willing to take them then they show up in elastic waist pants, white sneakers and sweat shirts with kittens and bears on them.

I refuse to go with them now, I am not about to humiliate myself with their stylishlessness. I will likely cause a family war but I feel I am in the right.

If you want to visit someplace and want to see movie stars and mingle with them remember not to dress like you are going to Walmart. I thought I would post this to anyone who is in doubt. Thank you very much.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'm all about relaxing and being yourself even on vacation, but...

You're saying that they were planning to go to these places dressed like that?! They brought no nice clothes with them?! I live in southern CA too, and even if I consider an upscale place a "neighborhood joint" (like Christy Bono's restaurants in my hometown of Long Beach), I know enough to dress nicely for a $100 a person dinner.

Were they thinking that trendy LA eateries are theme park attractions?

"Hey Modine! Let's go to that there Asia de Cuba-Land!"

I'd try to peacefully take them for a nice day's shopping-- maybe Beverly Center, then Rodeo Drive and then Fred Segal on Melrose-- and insist they buy something chic for the trendy eatery visits.

Would they go to New York and expect to dine at Le Bernardin dressed like that? Or Lupa?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Well, now, hang on. I sense a bit of a set-up here. I think I might have let my visitors know that the restaurant was a "dress-up" sort of place, and then if they persist in wearing their chosen outfits I'd just let the chips fall where they may. If you dress appropriately yourself, who would you worry about how somebody else is dressed? That doesn't reflect on you, even if you're sitting at the same table.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I agree with Peeky, although perhaps he/she could have been more tactful and say that their wardrobe simply isn't normal for that kind of restaurant and suggest they either revise their dining plans or do a little shopping beforehand.
But I wouldn't go with them either, esp. if it was a place I'd want to go back to. If you show up with dining partners in such inappropriate attire, the host/hostess will remember ALL of you (I once hostessed at a nice restaurant, so am speaking from experience) and you will forever be pegged as the woman who came with those ridiculous out of towners and therefore perennially assigned the worst table in the room. It's not mere vindictiveness on the host's part--people go to these restaurants as much for the ambience as the food and if the host/hostess doesn't "screen" diners, then their job is at stake.
But would the restaurant even let them in those outfits? I mean, Cameron Diaz or some other celeb could probably get away with it as as some kind of retro-kitsch joke, but not the hoi polloi.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

When seen from a magazine a place such as The Ivy looks like it would be casual with the fence and outdoor seating and it is casual but in the Los Angeles style.

To make it worse this morning they went to Melrose on their own and saw one of the young starlets and started screaming. They must have gotten the idea that you scream at a celebrity from watching the red carpet at the Academy Awards. In other words they think they are the cutest tourists in Los Angeles.

Another note to those visiting - do not scream or harass celebrities it makes a fool out of yourself.

I will suggest that they go shopping with me but I am getting a headache.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Cassandra

Peeky, don't get all bent -- just be matter-of-fact. When they showed up dressed like twits, it could have been "oops, forgot to mention they have a dress code. Wanna change or try another time?"

How do you know they screamed at the starlet if they went on their own? Frankly, it's not as if the starlet knows they are your cousins; and it's not as if the starlet isn't in the business of celebrity.

If you have to spend time in public with your "embarrassing" country cousins (apparently they don't come to Fodors), keep it light but straighforward: "hey, guys, you're embarrassing me!"

Otherwise, I guarantee you are are going to start a war, and you can be right but lonely.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh my BTilke I didn't see your post. I will be branded forever - the hostess might take a digital photograph of me to post in the kitchen.

Do you think they might not seat them? I was thinking of dropping them off on a side street. I didn't even know that you have to valet I had never noticed because I have in the past.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Cassandra they called me right away with the star sighting and they were still breathing heavily or really gasping.

I will try and say something like they have to dress nicer but I hate to think what they might have in their suitcases. I have an idea it won't be much better if you know what I mean.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Love this thread..LOL and I'm sorry to be amused at your expence peeky and wish I had wise words for you. Please keep us advised.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I smell a troll
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I don't know about the digital photo, but you and your cousins WILL be the subject of staff conversations, probably jokes (Hell-oooo Kitty! Please don't feed the bears!) One of the few perks of restaurant jobs (aside from tips) is being able to mock the customers...and given that probably many of the staff are aspiring actors, there could be some merciless imitations back in the kitchen.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Peeky, I'm afraid it won't be possible for you to fight this. The best you can do is join in. I'm sure they have a matching kitty sweatshirt they can loan you - or pehaps they have even brought you one as a hostess gift
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
lvk

Peeky, I am ROFLMAO because I can feel your pain. (Although in our most recent case it was the Euro version- the black socks with Adidas soccer sandals!) The problem is, there is really not a dress code at many of these places, per se. The aforementioned Ms. Diaz can show up with torn jeans and her bra strap hanging out of her $500 Fred Segal tank top. Dressing dorkily is a whole separate issue.

My solution has been to give them a very nicely highlighted Thomas Guide & MapQuest printouts for all of their destinations and let them go hog wild!

Good luck & keep us posted!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Oh, this is certainly a hoax thread, but a funny one; I esp. liked the "sweat shirts with kittens and bears on them." This false outrage, combined with bad spelling--Thank YOU very much!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM

"In and Out Burger" is lovely this time of year....
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

No no I am not a troll la de da.

If a person lives in Hollywood a person will have visitors and a person will have to show them around and those persons might be dressed like dorks.

I don't know what I am going to do with them but tomorrow they are going to Venice thank goodness. I can only hope their clothes will be blown out to sea. Thank you to those who understand my pain.

An Hello Kitty hostess gift - too funny!

What did I misspell?

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM

How old are these people? What region do they reside? Male or female?

And how on earth did they ever hear of these trendy places but didn't get the memo of What Not To Wear?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

They are from Illinois and watch Entertainment Tonight and whatever the other one is with the guy with hair plugs and the nasally voice.

They have read all about paparazzi and The Ivy and Ashton New Husband of Whatshername who owns the other place and some places I don't even know about. Word gets around now days with the TV and the Internet and they lap it all up.

Sisters in their forties with bad perms and kittens-playing-with-string sweatshirts - not that that is a bad thing but I have to stop now I am getting vertigo.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Actually, if you watch enough Extra Extra, Entertainment Tonight, etc etc, it doesnt take long for the world to think of LA as a "wear anything anytime" destination.When I meet new clients in my travels, virtually a standing response to my introduction is "Oh, you're the one from LA.But you are so civilized!" We have the media to thank.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Could you insist they wear hats and big sunglasses when they go places with you? People might assume they are famous actors 'in character' and give them a break.
Or maybe you could all just wear these crazy costumes and then nobody would recognize you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO