Reload this Page >

If You've Planned A Fodor's GTG ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
bonniebroad

........how many people showed up? I'm planning the N.C. GTG for November, and so far, I have seven *definites* (barring hell & high water) and one strong "probably." Just wondering how the turn-out has been for other *Fodor's Frolics?* Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM
bonniebroad

P.S.: Or if you've been an attendee at one, how much company did you have?

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM
dcespedes

Hi bonniebroad! Seamus planned the San Antonio GTG and I believe there were 10 fodorites, 1 police officer and 1 stalker. I hope you enjoy a great GTG!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bonniebroad - if I lived in your area I'd come, especially 'cause I know there'd be lots of good recipes to exchange! (Still love your cobbler - especially now that peach season is here again!)

BTW, how's the diet progressing?
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I just went to one last night, there were 11 of us there (including non-fodorites, spouses). The size ranges depending on timing.

When I'm traveling and I plan a GTG, it's often just me and another fodorite and their spouse.....with the exception of the time I met Elvira & Elberko in Paris.

Good luck! I personally like the GTGs that are not too huge, so that you can get to know one another better. It's a lot harder to be shouting (or eavesdropping) across the room. ("Whazzat? What did you say to spygirl?" "Your daughter did WHAT?" etc.)
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM
bonniebroad

dcespedes, I will hope for no stalkers but a police officer would be okay! Thanks for the good wishes ... wish you could wiggle your nose and be with us!

Kopp, would love to have you here for the GTG! Glad you're enjoying that cobbler recipe ... The diet is on hold at the moment; I had lost 45 lbs. before I started vacationing in June. We have lots of trips and visitors this summer, so I decided to just maintain my loss until after Labor Day weekend. A big part of vacation for me is trying new restaurants and going back to old favorites. Also, my little DGD is coming for three weeks, and our fun time includes a lot of baking and eating out! I allow myself to gain up to five lbs. before I worry about it, and cut back. Of course, I still walk or do water aerobics almost every day, or both.

After Labor Day, I will hit the diet & gym aggressively again to lose the remaining 30 or so lbs. that need to come off. Thank you for asking! Hope you're having a wonderful summer!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:39 PM
bonniebroad

Hey there Melissa, we must have hit *post* at the same time! I will be delighted whether we have six, twelve or twenty! Was just wondering what others had experienced. My DH is going to take digital photos for us, and do a Yahoo album, so other Fodorites can share in the fun! Thanks for your reply. You're in Hawaii so I KNOW you're having a beautiful summer!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM

oh, funny bonnie!!! I was just about to post a p.s. about photos when I saw your last post come up.

You might want to agree about the online photo thing with the others. Last night was the first time any fodorites said they didn't want their photos in any online album--they preferred to stay anonymous, esp since they post a lot while at work, har har! Don't want the boss to put 2+2 together!!! Then when the 2nd person said they wanted to be anonymous, the 1st person said, "Oh, you write a lot of trash, too?" hee heeeeeeeeee

One thing is guaranteed at all GTGs....fodorites really know how to eat and drink! There is no skimping on quality there!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:53 PM
bonniebroad

Melissa, I had given some thought already to the photo thing. I, of course, don't plan to post photos of anyone who doesn't want them on there, and those that I do post will only have the Fodors "nicknames," no real ones. Thanks for your input!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

p.p.s. By far, last night's GTG was the most organized one I'd ever been to. They also had nametags for everyone with their screen name, not their real name. Hats off to IsisMnroe for being a super planner!

Someday, when I win Megabucks, I'll just travel all over and attend GTGs. *sigh*
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Here on Kaua`i, we've had 2 planned-in-advance GTG's.

First one -- expected 8, and 6 showed up.
Second one -- expected 6, and all showed up, plus another couple who walked in and wanted to share our fun! 8-)
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Here we are at our finest in Yountville.
This was the 2nd one and waaaaayyyy too big IMHO. As Melissa says you cannot talk to everyone and sometimes people bring friend(s) that have no clue about the Fodors thing. SO's, A friend,as in ONE, is fine, but I'm not going to a GTG
to meet a group of strangers, I'm
meeting up with my FFF's!

The first Y'ville GTG was 8 and it was
dandy!

These photos are courtesy of Marilyn & Phil Flash
"See us living the good life at http://www.worldisround.com/articles/96984/index.html"

R5

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM

There were 24 people,BTW bonnie.
R5
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Hi bonniebroad! At NJ/NY GTG's we usually have about 15 or so. Be prepared for one or two who back out at the last minute too, as this always seems to happen to us.

Considering how many Fodorites there are in the NJ/NY area, Budman and I are always hoping for more!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Hey,

We've had two wonderful GTG's over the last year. Links of pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/tpatricco/njny_fodorite_gtg_2004

http://www.pbase.com/tpatricco/njny_..._gtg__may_2005

I'm hoping after the last two and folks realize we are for "real" and "fun" people (OK, Budman wore a grass skirt :-" ), attendance will improve.

22 October -- pencil in that date. We're going to have a great theme and great 's.

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM

oh yeah!! I should pre-alert you to the next 2 GTGs that we know of in honolulu:

October 16-ish: Monica from the Europe Board will be in Honolulu. Looking forward to sunset drinks & pupus.

December 29-ish: The Kals will take a detour from Kauai and join us for a loco moco taste-off and some chicken feet. I kid you not!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Melissa, I expect photos of Kal with chicken feet sticking out of his mouth. Nothing less will do!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:03 AM
bonniebroad

Thanks, Budman and RazzleDazzle, for the photo links! Looks like major fun was being had by all ... Our first NC GTG will be very simple, but I'm sure we'll all be in grass skirts, pickin' a pig, sippin' moonshine ... at our GTGs before you know it!

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM

How many will show? That's akin to the perennial "should I buy now or wait for fares to drop" question. As someone far more erudite than I (no distinction, actually...) observed, life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. So there is always the possibility that firm intention to attend will be trumped by an unanticipated development.
I understand the concern about how many seats to reserve at the venue, but think you just have to go with whatever info you have. In choosing a venue, I looked for something casual and accessible, with easy parking, a local kitschy feel, moderate prices and, of course, a full liquor license. On a practical note, I just created a distro group in my email program, sent a couple periodic messages to remind and inquire about availability. It really was minimal trouble, as Fodorites are by nature such nice people and accustomed to organizing things.
BTW, neither the cop nor the stalker RSVP’d, suggesting that they are just wannabees.
ˇViva Los Fodoritos de San Antonio!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM

And the "honorary" ones, too, Seamus!

bonnie, IMHO, it's a lot easier to organize a small GTG with under 10 people than a large one with 20 or more. In any case, do set up an email list or group. It will make it all much easier.

For the SF GTG that I organized a few years ago, we were lucky to have a brave fodorite volunteer her home for the venue. Her husband even agreed to this plan, and I don't think he uttered the words "axe murderer" even once.

This was great for socializing, as people moved around and weren't locked into sitting in one spot at a dinner table. However, setting the date and organzing the potluck was a bit like herding cats. From that aspect, a restaurant is easier.

We started with about 30 "yes" responses and I think 18 showed up. But I think the turnout improves the more times you get together, as people become friends and feel more motivated to make the GTG a priority.

The Yountville GTG is a great combination of factors. We roam around the street fair all afternoon, hanging out with different fodorites, then have dinner all together. I bet there are at least 20 people this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -