Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If you're sick of the snow in the northeast, these pix might make you feel better!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-youre-sick-of-the-snow-in-the-northeast-these-pix-might-make-you-feel-better-381078/)

BuffaloGirl Dec 8th, 2003 06:02 AM

If you're sick of the snow in the northeast, these pix might make you feel better!!

If you can't take another minute of the snow where you are, here are some pictures of Buffalo's blizzard of 1977. I was in high school at the time and I am so thankful I was home that day (I think it was a Saturday).

Enjoy the pictures and be careful driving!

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/blizzard/blizphoto.html

Scarlett Dec 8th, 2003 06:14 AM

My God these photos make me claustrophobic!!
Thank you Buffalo Girl, it does make everything relative, doesn't it :)
The house buried in snow really gave me the creeps..I am not cut out for this .. I am happy to be going back South. I will visit NYC often and enjoy it but no more snow for me!

Meesthare Dec 8th, 2003 06:34 AM

We had a similar blizzard here in Toronto in 1998. I took some pictures of the cars in front of my house, or rather the big snowdrifts that completely covered the cars. It snowed every day for a week, at least a couple of feet each time. It was surreal.
Scarlett, aren't you going to miss the cold and the snow even a little teeny bit? :)

Scarlett Dec 8th, 2003 06:40 AM

Maybe in a few years :)
I know I will miss the cool fall days and colors.
But the good thing about that is we still have family here and can come visit whenever we want to.
I remember that snow in the 90's when we got a storm every other day, or so it seemed.
All I did was bake cookies and count the days til Spring LOL~

kikahead Dec 8th, 2003 08:35 AM

Wow! Those are great photos!!!

ncgrrl Dec 8th, 2003 08:46 AM

Yikes, that's a scary amount of snow.

Do you remember how long it took until the schools reopened and life sort-of got back to normal?

LN Dec 8th, 2003 03:14 PM

Boy - I hope they don't get snow like that too often around Buffalo. The truth is I hope we NEVER get snow like that around DC/MD. We have a couple inches here now and it's enough to make me realize that I wish I were in Florida instead of here. Cold weather down there consists of putting on a sweater! Why oh why didn't Christmas come a month earlier?

BuffaloGirl Dec 8th, 2003 06:48 PM

ncgrrl: I think it was around 2 1/2 weeks. Buffalo is an old city with narrow streets and people just abandoned their cars everywhere, so plows couldn't get down the streets because cars were in the way, and you couldn't move your car until the street got plowed!!!

LN: There was another blizzard in 1985....it dumped a lot of snow and paralyzed the city, but it wasn't nearly as bad as 1977. Last year there was a freak storm that dumped 8 feet of snow in a narrow band across a part of the city. Maybe a mile away in another part there was 2 feet. So to answer your question, it really doesn't happen often (1977, 1985, 2002) but look out when it does. Keep in mind we are totally equipped to deal with a "little" snow like 1-2 feet!

Meesthare Dec 9th, 2003 04:51 AM

A few years ago - maybe around 1995 or 1996 - a friend and I drove to Buffalo from Toronto for our annual pre-Christmas cross-border shopping orgy. The roads were dry on the Canadian side, but when we got to the mall we noticed it was snowing a bit. We spent the entire day indoors, shopping our brains out, and then loaded up the car prior to driving to the Marriott on Millersport Road. It seemed quite snowy, but fortunately there wasn't a lot of traffic. It took a long time to get to the hotel, and when we got there the front desk clerk was amazed that we had actually arrived there - they had closed the highway several hours previously! I have no idea how we slipped by the troopers - it wasn't intentional - but it sure gave us a taste of Buffalo weather at its most challenging!

ParrotMom Dec 9th, 2003 06:21 AM

Remember the storm of 1977 very well..Working at the local hospital in a non-nursing position, but was picked up at home by the Army Reserves by jeep (in MA) the next day.. It was a wonderful storm..neighbors helping neighbors, going to the supermarket up the street with sleds. Pots of coffee and hot chocolate shared with neighbors, freshly baked cookies for the kids.. Those with snowblowers helping out their neighbors who had shovels....Seeing my neighbor across the street shoveling snow over his head and I swear without a jacket...just his lumbermens shirt... and yes.. people taking in other people who were stuck on the highway so they would have a warm bed...ski-mobiles checking the cars on Route 128 to make sure the people were taken to a safe location.. Forget it.. I'm heading south for a warm vacation...let it snow, let it snow.. andit looks like this year maybe the year..lol