If you're coming to NYC, don't miss Henry IV

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been remiss in posting this message about the best thing on Broadway these days (actually Lincoln Center). It's the new production of Shakespeare's Henry IV at the Vivian Beaumont in Lincoln Center. With the incredible Kevin Kline as Falstaff, it's a truly brilliant production, which is only playing until mid-January.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:54 AM

Darn, Howard. I always selfishly hope these limited run things will be horrible if I can't make it to New York to see them within their time framework. But I suspected this was going to be a real winner.

Good suggestion for those in or near New York or heading there soon. Even those who think they don't get or appreciate Shakespeare tend to love the Falstaff plays -- especially when well done.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM

It got a terrific review in the NYTimes as well. Nevertheless, I'm hoping that it will be available at TKTS toward the end of its run. Howard, were you put off by the fact that Parts I and II were compressed into one play? I'm sort of a purist when it comes to Shakespeare, and I wonder if I'm going to be spending my time figuring what they left out.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

First of all, Ken, I doubt very much if you're going to find discount tickets anywhere! I'd recommend getting any price tickets, as you can see very well from anywhere in the theater.
As for the merging and editing of the two parts, it didn't bother us; but then, we aren't THAT familiar with the two plays. From what I've read, they not only edited, but also rearranged some sections. But, it's all very smooth. Go see it, because you'll really be missing one of the best productions of a Shakespearean play that's been in New York for a long, long time.
(PS: We just got a mailing for the next offering in the series--King Lear, starring Christopher Plummer. It'll play from February 9 thru April 19.)
Anyway,
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 02:02 PM

Howard, are you sure about those dates for King Lear? April 19 is a Monday which seems odd for a final night. Yet we arrive on Sunday the 18th, so the 19th would be our only opportunity to see it. I can't find any information about it yet, including on the Lincoln Center site.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, you're right, it does close April 18. The performance that day is at 7 p.m.
No, you won't be able to get tickets for a while. For now, only those who've signed up for the series can order tickets. Keep checking the website, but I bet tickets for the general public won't be available for a while.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM

Hmmm, flight in on Sunday is mid afternoon, so we can still make it if we can get tickets for that final night. Will they only be available from Lincoln Center, or other sources as well?

I'm just sending in my order for next summer's Oregon Festival at Ashland and will miss KING LEAR as I really want to see their production of A RAISIN IN THE SUN and those two both only play once that week -- the same night!!! So would especially love to catch this production in NY.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, tickets for King Lear will go on sale to the general public on December 14. I suggest you check its website (www.LCT.org) or the member hotline (212-239-6277) prior to that date for additional info.
We subscribers got ours starting yesterday.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:11 AM

Thanks, Howard, I'm circling that date on my calendar.