Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you LOVED Hilton Waikoloa, tell me why!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:29 PM
sandy

Hi--I am redeeming Hilton points and am getting a free weeks stay at the Hilton Waikoloa. (free flights too with FF miles--woohoo!) I'm going on a family trip with the kids, ages 9 and 13. It's free, so I will overlook some of the negatives that I've read--I'm getting psyched to go- so if you loved it there tell me why! (and why my kids will love it!) Thanks!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:29 PM
s!

FYI: There is a special Hilton code that reduces the number of pionts needed for 6 free nights at a Hawaii resort. The Aloha Spirit Award code is ALON. It only requires 100,000 miles for 6 nights..instaed of the normal 165,000 or 195,000 for the same number of nights. I am also using some HH points later in the year. I don't know the Waikoloa Village...but have a great trip. Happy Trails.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:30 PM
s!

Message: FYI: There is a special Hilton code that reduces the number of pionts needed for 6 free nights at a Hawaii resort. The Aloha Spirit Award code is ALON. It only requires 100,000 miles for 6 nights..instead of the normal 165,000 or 195,000 for the same number of nights. I am also using some HH points later in the year. I don't know the Waikoloa Village...but have a great trip. Happy Trails.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:56 PM
sandy

Thanks--I did use the ALON reward code.---a real bargain at only 100,000 points for a nice resort!!!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:24 PM
annemarie

We loved it because everything you needed was on site and there was a little shopping complex out front and off the property for those nights when you just want a slice of pizza, a sub, whatever. We loved it because, even though the beach was manmade...the snorkelling was perfect for my son at the age of 11-12...even green sea turtles to be seen. The rooms were pretty good, rollaway was free, which allowed us all to have comfy areas...rollaway, pullout couch and a king size bed. We loved it because the bounce back rate included a buffet breakfast in the morning that was quite good. There were 2 pool areas and the one had live music during the day. My son, who is now 16, has been fortunate enough to stay at the Hyatt Kauai, Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Princeville, and Kea Lani...the Waikoloa is his all time favourite. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Lisa

Sandy

Could you please tell me if there is a way to accumulate points other than staying at a Hilton hotel? 100,000 points sounds like a lot. Thanks.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:25 PM
frank

its not that many points. There all sorts of deals that Hilton is offering for bonus points. With as few as 8 nights in any Hilton partner, you can be in excess of 100,000 points.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Lisa

Wow! That's great to know! Do they have to be 8 consecutive nights, or just accumulated? Also, do you know which are the Hilton partners? I love to travel, especially with my kids, so this would be a great help!

Thanks!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:50 PM
hal

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/index.html

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:50 AM
tart

My kids (aged 7 and 12) when we were there LOVED this hotel. It's very large, but the staff is friendly. We felt comfortable letting them ride the boat (that goes around the complex) alone while my husband and I relaxed after dinner. The "swim with the dolphins" thing is also very touristy but the kids didn't seem to care. The lagoon has great snorkeling and the water slides in the pool were fun. Overall, my husband and I tolerated it because the kids were not complaining. Also, off-property, the kayaking tour up-island was a great way to spend an afternoon.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Shel

We stayed there just over a year ago, we loved it, and we don't even have kids. We are generally pretty easy to please. We loved it because the hotel is beautiful and spacious. The museum walkway is fascinating. We took a tour of the underground tunnels that the service staff use and it was neat. The restaurants were all good, pools were nice and not crowded, and we just had a great time. Every evening we wandered around the property and sat in a hammock, watched them light the torches, and thanked heaven that we are so lucky to get to travel. We are planning another trip there in October (thanks to HHonors points).

We rented an SUV and good snorkle gear and spent almost every day out exploring the island's sights and finding places to snorkle. It was a lot of fun and a lot of driving. I think if we had kids we would have been more likely to stay at the resort rather than leave every day.

You will have a blast! If you are looking for a good restaurant off-property, check out the Parker Ranch Grill in Wimea (I think). It was so yummy. Coconut shrimp. mmmm.

For all the other HHonors folks out there--what are your favorite HHonors points hotels/resorts?

Have a great trip! We want to hear about it when you get back.
Shel

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Rosina

Your kids will love this hotel. Super pool area, great lagoon with water sports and dolphins on property. Just make sure you make reservation in advance for the children to swim with them if they are interested. Otherwise if they decide when you arrive they are put on a waiting list and probably will not have the chance. I loved this property and so did my family. The scenery is incredible. There really isn't a swimming beach but if you walk over to the Outrigger there is a great beach thats great for snorkeling too. Have a wonderful time you will love it.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:31 AM
s!

Yes, 100 thousand miles is a lot. I think AMEX Memebership mile transfer to HH points at a rate of 100 AMEX =1333 hilton.

They pile up pretty quickly this way.

s!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:49 PM
s!

Correction:

1000 AMEX points equals 1300 HH points.

Happy Trails.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Darlene

The "swim with the dolphins" is so nice for kids, but make reservations as early as possible if interested. Down the beach a little is a very good dinner restaurant at the Four Seasons which was our favorite dinner on all the islands. The setting is at the waters edge and the food and service are excellent.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:26 PM
sandy

Was the restaurant at the four seasons the 'casual gourmet' as described by Frommers or the formal dining? We have the kids--the casual sounded very tempting from the guide book, and I am looking for family friendly, not outrageous, over the top romantic restaurants. Thanks

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Sarah

Just FYI...

The Dolphin Encounters for kids can only be booked at most 60 days in advance. Your best bet is to call exactly 60 days ahead of when you want the child to take part. Adults have to enter a lottery to take part.

The pools are great at HWV. We stayed in the Ocean Tower, and it seemed like the pool closest to it was much less crowded than the others.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Judy Quattrone

We visited this hotel quite a few years ago and felt it was like the Garden of Eden. Getting off of the plane and driving there was upsetting because of the black lava rock everywhere, but when you pull into this hotel, you feel you have entered paradise. We went in October. It was spacious, not crowded, and the grounds were incredible.

We found the Big Island is so diverse, and in certain areas very beautiful. Don't miss the horseback ride in the valley. Fabulous.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Cal

Loved the Waikoloa but would not visit when it is filled to capacity. I have had experiences at the HHV in Waikiki where it appears that they can't accomadate the numbers that visit. The giant pool at the HHV is more like a bath tub when there a people every few feet. The Hotel continues to put up new hotel rooms but does not increase pool space a rip off when this place is crowded. The Waikoloa has many more rooms so be careful not to visit in high season.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:55 AM
Maui Mike

This hotel is outrageous! It is quite beautiful and fun. The kids will love it!!!! Even if you don't stay there, be sure to visit it for an hour or so!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -