Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If you have your choice would u stay at FS or Hyatt in Maui? My wife think I'm crazy. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-you-have-your-choice-would-u-stay-at-fs-or-hyatt-in-maui-my-wife-think-im-crazy-443007/)

whitesand Jun 16th, 2004 12:20 PM

If you have your choice would u stay at FS or Hyatt in Maui? My wife think I'm crazy.

Currently we are booked at Hyatt from 12/10 to 12/17. I read so many reviews confused. Read some bad reviews about FS on tripadvisor. I can't remember about the Hyatt! We like the pool area/grounds seem to be nicer at Hyatt vs FS. Is there a gym at Hyatt? If so, do they have modern equipments? How is the Terrace room at Hyatt? Do you think we should stay at Hyatt or switch to FS? Oh & I really don't want to get up so early and save pool chairs either. Maybe we should stay somewhere else, just don't know which resort. Or I can just buy a 56" Plasma TY and forget about the trip (LOL). Thank you for your time.

tpatricco Jun 16th, 2004 03:13 PM

Yikes whitesand! Breathe in...breathe out. First decision...Four Seasons is in Wailea, Hyatt Regency is in Kaanapali. These are two different areas of the island; Kaanapali being much closer to the restaurants & nightlife of Lahaina. If being near to this area for nightlife is important to you pick the Hyatt, if you want a quieter, more pampered hotel experience, pick FS. IMO, Hyatt is very nice, has beautiful grounds & facilities & the benefit of being adjacent to much more nighttime activity than FS. I didn't get the impression that there was a battle for beach chairs at the Hyatt, (we were there in May). Most of all though, you are going on vacation, try to relax & enjoy the planning as much as you hope to enjoy the trip itself! Don't make yourself crazy. Good Luck! Trish

travleis Jun 16th, 2004 04:24 PM

If you tell us what kind of vactioners you are then the answer will be obvious.
As noted above, people who prefer the Four Seasons will: place at least moderate value on having great service, want a quieter vacation experience, value attributes found in fine hotels (higher end room amenities), don't need to be close to lots of nightlife, happy with a great beach and average pool rather than vice versa.
Hyatt fans will: be desirous of lots of activity and nightlife close by, don't mind the big impersonal hotel experience, may value having an extravagant pool complex.

Those 2 hotels are very different. You'd likely enjoy one more than the other. Depends which profile best fits you.

gyppielou Jun 16th, 2004 04:27 PM

very well put travleis.

Tasha440 Jun 16th, 2004 04:33 PM

In response to your question about the gym, yes there is one at the Hyatt. They had lifecycles, treadmills, an elliptical machine, free weights, and some "multi-purpose" weight machines. I didn't use the weight machines, so I can't comment on the quality. However, the cardio equipment was modern. The nice thing about the location of the workout room is that the front is all windows facing the ocean. The nicest view for any workout I've had!!

We had the same issue, trying to decide between FS and Hyatt. I am so glad we chose the Hyatt. We visited Wailea and saw the FS, not nearly as pretty as the Hyatt. Wailea is also very different, so you do need to determine which location of Maui is best for you.

As far as saving chairs is concerned, the pool attendants walk around every few hours or so and take towels off unused chairs. We were able to get chairs whenever we went to the pool. Of course, the chairs with the attached canopies went early, standard loungers were not impossible to obtain.

stever Jul 20th, 2004 08:30 PM

To Tasha440: You wrote: "We had the same issue, trying to decide between FS and Hyatt. I am so glad we chose the Hyatt. We visited Wailea and saw the FS, not nearly as pretty as the Hyatt." WOW! The Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali is much prettier than the FS? Can anyone else confirm this concept? This is a very interesting statement. We are planning to do our first FS hotel next year and were considering this resort... What do y'all think about this?

Perplexed...

Steve

wolfshin Jul 21st, 2004 03:59 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt in October 2003. It had tropical birds in the lobby area, with water pools, beautiful foilage, etc. We took a trip to look at the FS...I would describe it as pristine, neutral decor, very pretty in its own right. Two very different hotels. We were very happy with the Hyatt considering the difference in price, although the Hyatt charges a daily facility fee, where the FS does not. Hyatt has Plenty of pool chairs, and close proximity to other acitivities in the area.Beds and decor of rooms very nice. Restaurants exceptional and more affordable than the FS. The only frustration we had at the Hyatt was the limited self parking in the front lot in the evening, although there were plenty of spots in the rear of the hotel.