Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you had two days in Key West what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have two days of alone time. We'll have plenty of time with the guests that are coming in.

What would you do?

I want to plan out for the night time where to watch the sunset and have drinks. Then the next day what to do.

What would you suggest?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:03 AM

The Hilton has a fine waterside setting to watch the sunset. You are a short walk from Mallory Square to watch the freak show before or after sundown. Pier House's restaurant has beachside tables in a quiet, romantic setting that is a short walk from Duval and Mallory completely apart from the madness. Snorkeling, sunset cruises, or booking a half day fishing trip on a small boat into the back country gives a great tour of remote, isolated keys. Catch a few snapper for a world class lunch and enjoy a few hours on some of the most beautiful water in the world. You can rent jet skis at several locations. Drive up to Mangrove Mamas at mm 21 for a great lunch in an outdoor setting that's unique and beautiful. While on the way, stop and walk across one of the old bridges and observe the marine life in the shallow water beneath the bridges. If you've never driven the keys, the drive from KW to Islamorada is one of the most beautiful in the United States. Many interesting restaurants and bars along the way. The pedestrian bridge at the W end of Marathon out to Pigeon Key is a several mile walk with a mile of flats around pigeon key to watch sharks, rays, tarpon, baracuda in crystal clear water. The City Fish market in Marathon has a great outdoor marina setting. Lora Lei in Islamorada is one of the best tiki bar/restaurants anywhere. Have fun.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:12 AM
GBC

I agree that the drive from Islamorada to KW is one of the most beautiful in the US. In addition to the many great ideas above, you might enjoy driving out to No Name Key from Big Pine. Look for the Key Deer and the No-Name Pub. It is quite unusual. They serve from lunch onward. Very casual.

If the weather is good, another boat ride that's fun and also interesting, is the ride to the Dry Tortugas. If you snorkel there is some snorkeling there but you have to go out a little way to reach it. If not, the boat ride (I think lunch is included) and Fort Jefferson are fun.

While you're in KW, consider lunch at Louie's Backyard. We never miss it. The food is good and setting very nice. Resrvations are a good idea.

Also, an unusual shop in KW is Keno's Sandals. Even if you don't need any, stop in. It is very interesting and the sandals are a very good value.

If you are in Islamorada, visit the Sportsman, even if you aren't one. Eating outside at LazyDays is excellent for lunch or dinner. It is accross Route 1 from the Sportsman, just south/west of the Hamptoon Inn. If you've caught some yellowtail snapper, they will cook it for you.

For a picnic to take out, stop at the Trading Post. Lots of good choices there and you can eat along the water at a local park called Anne's Beach as well as many others. Anne's Beach is free.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM

A "must" is seeing the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square. Get there a couple of hours before sunset because there is lots to see. They have street vendors, performers and artists.

The Hilton is no longer the Hilton. It changed to a Weston but I think its still a nice place to have drinks during the sunset.

Have a romantic dinner at A&B Lobster House. Reserve a table outside on the deck over looking the marina.

Have lunch on one of the days at Louie's Backyard.

Schedule a half day fishing on one of the many boats at Garrison Bight Marina. Rent jet skis at the Ocean Key Resort for an hour. Maybe do a half day of kayaking with Lazy Dog Charters.

I take it from your other posts ( and you have been getting a lot of great advice on those so I hope you are seeing them) that you might not have a car but if you do, take a drive up to Bahia Honda State Park for a day. While you are up there search out No Name Pub.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:47 AM

If you are not doing it with the wedding party, I would also suggest taking a tour on the Conch Tour Train. I didn't mention it in my post above but I assumed you might be doing that with the group. If you are not, its another "must" to do.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM

I echo the sentiment for Louie's--although I would do dinner. Also wonderful--the sunset cruise on the wooden schooner.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM

Fast Buck Freddy's!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM

I would go out on either the Segabo Island T'ing or the Danger Charter.

Both serve a small breakfast then sail to the reef for snorkeling. They then serve lunch and then kayak around a mangrove island and show you the area and sea and bird life. Then they break out the sangria for the sail back. It's a perfect 9:30 - 4:00 day in Key West.

The best sunsets are from the top of the la Concha hotel on Duval Street.

Pjk
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM

I was just in Key West and the Hilton is now the Westin. Just keep in mind if you stay in an oceanview room, you may have a view of a very large cruise ship. We noticed that the views from the Westin were gorgeous, but once a few cruise ships came into port, that's all you see. I wouldn't pay the extra $$ for an oceanview room.

I would also recommend a snorkel sail on Danger Charters and a sunset sail on the Appledore. -Susan
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM

And if you want ot be a rebel, you can see a sunset from the south side of the island...

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/114263225-L.jpg

Pjk
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM

Hop from bar to bar, sit outside, and enjoy the sun and the people watching!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM

Dry Tortugas. Hopefully, the seas won't be choppy. You can take a boat or a sea plane. We took the boat - as I recall, it offerred more island time. Lunch was provided. We were able to get away on one of the sandy beaches. Have a great time.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM

We go to Key West many times each year for weekends.
A & B Lobster House is a must in my opinion. The Commodore in the same complex is also very good, yet with no outdoor patio area.
If this is your only trip to Key West it would be a shame to miss Mallory Square at sunset, it is somewhat of a Conch Republic tradition, but if you want to get away from the crowd all the other suggestions are quite nice.
Louies Backyard is at the opposite end of Duval Street. Great outdoor bar area and good food. Worth a trip, if you can squeeze it in.
For casual dining there are so many that it is hard to choose. Half Shell Raw Bar, Conch Republic, Bagatelle, Kelly's Landing, after all it is Key West.
If you like history, The Little White House and the Hemingway House are good choices, you can walk to the top of the lighthouse for a good view of the island. Fishing trips take up alot of a day, but if you are into fishing there is every type to fish for.
The Dry Tortugas trip is a long one, takes most of a day, I would save that for when you have more time.
Can't leave snorkeling, diving and just hanging out on some boat of some description, of which there are plenty to choose from.
There are also pleny of boating experiences for sunset worth looking into.
Have a blast!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM

The Ocean Key Hotel is just wonderful..We have stayed there a few times. Ask for a room overlooking the pier that has sunset.