Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If you had to pick: Jacksonville or Myrtle Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-you-had-to-pick-jacksonville-or-myrtle-beach-704544/)

gluvscats May 12th, 2007 08:43 AM

If you had to pick: Jacksonville or Myrtle Beach?

My hubby/I are planning a trip for October. We are trying to decide to what city to see. Jacksonville or Myrtle Bch? Both have alot to offer. For those of you who have been to both, what is your opinion? What did you see/do in both cities? Thanks.

Orlando_Vic May 12th, 2007 10:23 AM

Bypass Jacksonville and drive 1/2 hour south to St. Augustine. There is much more to see and do there.

hop_along May 12th, 2007 10:55 AM

It is very presumptuous, quite stupid actually, for Orlando Vic to tell you what to do without knowing anything about your interests and other considerations. St. Augustine is a great destination for its historical preservation, of course, while Jacksonville, its riverfront and its beaches offer a far greater variety of attractions. Besides they are close enough to enjoy both if time allows.

Scarlett May 12th, 2007 12:03 PM

Hi, gluvscats..I lived in Jax for a little over a year, not long ago..in Oct you will have very nice weather, it will be warm but not too bad..at least the nights will be cooling off some.
I grew up in NC and Myrtle Beach was fun but these days, I think Jax is better ..
There is the beach, Amelia Island, St Augustine and plenty of Gardens and a nice Museum and plenty of good restaurants and nice hotels..
My favorite restaurants were Bistro Aix, BB's and the Bonefish Grill .. my mind is blank on another..but Bistro Aix is my all time favorite.
The Cummer Museum is on the River and even if you are not interested in museums, the gardens are famous with the Cummer Oak ..
All along the Riverfront there are places for dining and walking and evening activities.
Then there are the beaches..each with its own atmosphere..
hope this helps..JAX is a lovely airport too :)

Orlando_Vic May 13th, 2007 05:11 PM

gluvscats-

I must admit that I have never been to Myrtle Beach, but I have spent some time in Jacksonville...and St. Augustine.

My "stupid" opinion is that I prefer St. Augustine. It has history, good shopping, wonderful restaurants and great beaches. Yet, it retains its small-town, unpretentious ambiance. Jacksonville has its attractions, but I prefer one over the other.

It would be "very presumptuous" for me to assume you would not seek other opinions about the two destinations. As you know, opinions are neither right, nor wrong. They are merely opinions. There are a lot of good ideas here on this forum. I know they will guide you in making your decision and that you will have a wonderful time on your trip!

starrsville May 13th, 2007 07:53 PM

I agree with Orlando Vic. If you are trying to decide which "city to see", then St. Augustine is more appealing than Jax or MB. I've spent a lot of time in Jax on the Riverfront on business and it doesn't hold my attention for very long. I do agree with Bistro Aix as a great place to eat. Bonefish Grill is good too - but there are many locations. Are you interested in beaches - or just a "city" trip? If it's just a "city" trip, then St. Augustine has more to hold your attention then the other two. (I'm not sure what would qualify as the "city" part of MB).

SAnParis May 14th, 2007 01:46 AM

If you are flying - fly into JAX & stay in Amelia Island. There are a number of recent threads on here. From there you can easily visit JAX, as well as St. Augustine if you like. MB in October will nice (weather wise) but many things may be closed as it is end of season there (although there will be lots of golfers).

hop_along May 14th, 2007 05:06 AM

I apologize to Orlando Vic and plead guilty to PUI. Both places he mentioned are terrific in different ways. That's true of most anywhere, I believe.

Orlando_Vic May 14th, 2007 05:14 AM

hop_along-

Apology accepted. We should have a beer together sometime...in St. Augustine!

GoTravel May 14th, 2007 05:48 AM

St. Augustine is a beautiful town and the weather will be gorgeous there in October.

gluvscats May 14th, 2007 07:27 AM

Thanks to everyone for your opinion. My hubby/I have decided to go to FL. Sill deciding on where to stay. Will be there three days. All your suggestions were great.

hop_along May 14th, 2007 07:54 AM

Orlando Vic: Well, that's very presumptious of you to think I am a beer drinker -- except that you are entirely correct, of course, especially when it comes to restaurant/brewpubs such as the A1A in St. Augustine, or any of the hundreds of great imports to be found at the Rendezvous on that little alley off the St. George Street mall. Perhaps gluvscats and husband would be interested in checking out those places. I could also tell them where to find the best fried shrimp in the world, but only if sworn to secrecy.