Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If you had only two days in Florida... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-you-had-only-two-days-in-florida-538370/)

BigDan Jun 21st, 2005 09:13 AM

If you had only two days in Florida...

If you had only two days in Florida, where would you go and what would you do? Excluding all of Orlando.

I have two days in Florida after Disney. Where to go? My poor wife, my friends, and I are looking for a not too crowded soft beach, awesome views, nice waves to buggy board/kayak/swim, nice ocean breeze. I'm thinking DeSoto National Park, but open to other ideas. Needs to be cheap 'cause poppa ain't bringing home enough bacon. Cheap restaurants and accommodations nearby would be bonus. Thanks boss.

cilll Jun 21st, 2005 10:01 AM

I admit this is a reply I posted to another person asking about FL, but it fits your bill, too: Try the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach--beautiful grandeur, very reasonable prices, great food and service, right next to the ocean, you can walk to many places and exclusive mall (Saks, etc. is only a 5 min. drive up the street), front desk phone 305-865-8511, front desk manager--Muzzaffar H. Khan. Miami Int'l is about 15 min. away and Ft. Lauderdale is about 30 min. away. Wonderful place!

Scarlett Jun 21st, 2005 10:26 AM

I am in Florida and I am moving, so I think I like your Heaven question better :D

placeu2 Jun 21st, 2005 10:27 AM

Reddington or N. Reddington Beach. Less congested area of Pinellas County with easy access to more popular places like Clearwater and St. Pete Beach if desired. Under 2 hours from Orlando.

Lwc Jun 21st, 2005 11:52 AM

I don't know when you are traveling to Florida, but there is red tide affecting some of the beaches on the gulf. Check it out before you go. We have canceled our vacation there because of it. We are now going to Myrtle Beach.

starrsville Jun 21st, 2005 12:01 PM

If you want nice waves, I'd go to the Atlantic coast instead of the gulf.

Anywhere from Melbourne up to Amelia Island would be good choices.

Of course, there's always Daytona. Lots to do with kids and enough motels to be able to get something reasonable (not sure about cheap!)

tinsel57 Jul 9th, 2006 08:59 AM

Indian Rocks Beach. One hour East almost in a staight line, from Orlando. A nice quiet out of the lime light family beach. Offers two great public parks with wonderful family restaurants within walking distance. For out of this world pizza, Bizarro's. If the kids can't do without their fast food, Wendy's. Both of these establishments are adjacent to the beach park. Cross the street and hit the best Hawaiian Shaved ice, or Moo's with out of this world fresh frozen custard... the line winds around the building in the evening! If the waves are up, the locals are surfing. Miles and miles of unspoiled white sandy beaches. Within a ten minute drive, Publics Grocery store or a 15 minute drive all the chain restaurants and malls stores you'd ever want. There's even a WalMart right in Indialantic to pick up those last minute beach toys. It's really a wonderful place.

starrsville Jul 9th, 2006 09:08 AM

tinsel, did you mean 1 hour due west(from Orlando)?

AustinTraveler Jul 9th, 2006 09:10 AM

BigDan was in Florida a year ago.

Wayne Jul 9th, 2006 10:11 AM

Indian Rocks Beach is west of Orlando, in the area between St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach. If you meant Indian Harbor Beach, that's the one east of Orlando and near Cocoa Beach.

wow Jul 9th, 2006 11:04 AM

OP posted June 2005. How did this get back up there....over a year later!

Fla_Go_gal Jul 29th, 2006 08:27 PM

I think you must mean Indialantic Beach
STRAIGHT out 192 from Disney, til you hit the beach EAST.
Bizzarros is on Indialantic Beach.
And YES, it is fab.
www.oceanfrontcottages.com
There are not many hotels on the beach there at all...The Tuck Away?
There is a Marriott Courtyard a few Miles before you get to the beach on 192. Its nice...