Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you had it to do all over again, where would you run away to elope?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Steven

During the month of April, I become the lucky guy that gets to marry her (save your bashing, ha!) We both want to go away vs. having the big wedding. We like to relax, some sun would be great, love water, want it to be romantic, we're in our late thirties, enjoy peace and serenity vs. the party scene. Where would you go?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:09 PM
C

My first was an elopement. Didn't last.
The second I married in a small ceremony with family and close friends. That one is going strong-30+ yrs!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:10 PM
C

Sorry! posted without answering! We went to Jamaica once and rode on a boat on a river there. That was so romantic and something to remember.
Personally though, I would go to France. Anywhere, Paris for a couple of days then South? Tres Romantic~

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Izzy

Steven, I read these posts alot but rarely post anything myself but I wanted to tell you that another gent such as yourself placed a similar post to yours and everyone here gave him so many great suggestions. Just type in text search "elope"---I just went to double check and it came up. The ideas everyone here gave him were great and I am sure you and your gal will enjoy their suggestions! Congrats, it is nice to see these guys making such an effort in the planning, huh ladies????!!!?????

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:18 PM
CathyS

Yup Izzy, my sister and I saw that post too when we were researching for honeymoon, the suggestions were fantastic and they also offered up places everywhere, not just in the States, also it was helpful because one post mentioned which countries it was difficult to get married in if you were not a resident. Her wedding is planned for April too, she is mid-thirtes and we found this board very useful. Happy planning Steven!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Dino

If I had it to do all over again, I would just run away...

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:57 PM
xxx

Honestly, I'm a female and if I had to do it all over again, I'd go to Maui in a split second!!! No questions asked. Your doing the right thing. I've been through the Big wedding and realized that it all goes sooo fast and it was a very stressful planning the wedding. I'd defintely go away if I had to get married again in Hawaii!!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Diane

I would go to the Italian Riviera, warm, romantic, and not as tacky as some of the "typical" warm destinations.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:34 PM
June

Steven,
I just got married 6 months ago and the planning was a dog! Good for you for knowing what you want.

Here is something you might want to consider - a wedding in Italy! During my wedding research, I found out that people do destination weddings in Italy, which sounds like a blast to me.

http://www.weddings-in-italy.com/weddings_home.html

http://www.weddingsitaly.com/

Just type "Weddings Italy" in a search engine and you can find a ton of companies that can arrange this.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:15 AM
xxx

I did run away the first time. It hurt everyone, family, freinds, everyone who would have wanted to be there. The marriage didn't last.

I had a small, intimate cerimony for my second wedding and only invited those people I loved most in the world.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:33 AM
S

I did the wedding thing the first time. It didn't last. Same for my husband.

This is a 2nd marriage for both of us. As opposed to spending the $$ on a wedding, we eloped and used the $$ on a down payment on our house. THat was 15 years ago. The ONLY regret that I have about it today is that we have no pictures for our children.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Jenny

We had a "planned elopement" in Hawaii on the Big Island- had a ceremony, pictures, could have had a video, cake, champagne, etc. We planned it over the phone with a wedding planner in about 30 minutes. I didn't want the stress or expense of a big wedding. We've been married only 1.5 years, but neither of us regret not having a wedding. I would go to Hawaii again in a heartbeat to get married. Good luck. If you're interested in Hawaii, I can give you the name of the woman we worked with.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Second wedding

St John, USVI.

We got married at sunset on a deserted beach, rented a villa, had a chef cook that night for us and our 4 guests. It was very romantic and St. John was beautiful.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Lake

Key West and the Keys, Hawaii or the Bahamas.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Hawaii Lover

HAWAII!!! Only way to go!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Lynn

I had the standard (though very small) church wedding the first time; the marriage lasted only five years. I don't think that's WHY it didn't last longer, but that's how it went.

My second marriage (which was also my husband's second) took place when I was 41 and he was 36. We were just too far along in life to worry about it if people were upset about the wedding not taking place locally (in Maryland). We flew off to Maui and were married in the Iao Valley State Park. It was beautiful and we're still going strong 11 years later.

It wasn't exactly an elopement, because it was no secret that we were going to Maui to get married. But still, to soothe any ruffled feathers, we had a huge party at our home after we got back; we called it our "reception" and I baked a special cake called Hawaiian wedding cake--I got the recipe from a friend. Everyone thought it was great. My new husband and I also wore the Hawaiian clothing in which we were married, which we'd gotten in Maui.

The funny thing about the wedding was that, ten minutes before the Justice of the Peace arrived, three busloads full of Japanese tourists arrived at the park. I panicked, telling my husband-to-be that they'd be noisy and ruin it. He reminded me that this was a state park and they had as much right to be there as we did, and besides, there was nothing we could do about it. The judge and his two clerks arrived and we went up to our selected site.

Well, the last thing these tourists ever expected to see there that day was a wedding. They were utterly fascinated and gathered around, falling into a hush as the judge started to speak. (One of his clerks took my camera and photographed the entire ceremony for us.) I relaxed as I realized that our unplanned "guests" were being very respectful of our little ceremony. At the end when the judge said, "You may kiss the bride," we started to kiss and the entire crowd of tourists burst into wild applause and cheering. We just looked at each other and started laughing so hard that we could barely do our kiss--it was one of the happiest moments of our lives and something we'll never forget, ever!

Afterward several people came over and, besides congratulating us in broken English, offered to take additional pictures of us with our camera--and they took pictures of us with THEIR cameras, as well. We've often wondered how many vacation photo albums we're in, all over Japan!

Steven, I wish you luck with your planning. Obviously, someone with my history is going to tell you that you're absolutely right to do what YOU want, not what others expect of you. It's one thing to respect other people's feelings and quite another to be ruled by those other people. Do it YOUR way and have a "reception" after you get home; you'll save a lot of money and stress and have memories that will last a lifetime. Go for it!