Search

San Francisco Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Hotel Help

Hi,

We are a couple in our 40's coming to San Francisco for Christmas and New Year from Australia. We arrive in SFO on 23 Dec and are looking for a hotel for 4 nights, we're then going down the pacific coast highway for 3 nights and coming back to San Francisco on 30 Dec for 3 more nights before flying back to Aus. So we are looking at 2 stays and would probably prefer two different hotels, unless we find one which is too lovely to not stay in twice!

I am getting very confused trying to figure out which are the best choice so any help you could give would be really appreciated.

We are looking to spend around $220 per night (could stretch to a bit more on one of the stays but $300 is probably the absolute limit. We like boutique and funky but not at the expense of amenities and comfort so would be ok with a good quality chain hotel.

Would like 4 or 5 star but location is key. We love to shop, go to restaurants, cafes, sightsee, explore the various neighbourhoods, and would like to try some blues clubs. We want to be really central for shopping and restaurants, and then be able to access the other sights. From my research that appears to be around Union Square?

As I gues most things will be closed on Christmas Day we will prbably spend a bit more time at the hotel, so a nicer hotel with good facilities is probably more important for this visit. We'd really like a gym (an indoor pool would be a big bonus), and somewhere with a nice public area where you can sit and have a drink or some tea and read a book would be great.

The hotels which jump out at me are:

The Omni
Hotel Zetta
JW Marriott Union Square

The Intercontinental Mark Hopkins looks lovely too, but its in Nob Hill - I'm not sure whether that's central enough?

We would love the Fairmont or the Four Seasons but they're way over our budget.

For New Years we considered a Fishermans Wharf hotel but I'm not sure about staying in such a touristy area for 3 days. i did wonder about other areas such as SoMa or South Beach but just getting more confused so decided it was time to ask for some help!

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated, as we're running out of time, and availability is limited.

thanks so much
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 03:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Hotel Monaco is my favorite
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 03:25 AM

Hi Violet,

We've been to San Francisco this year and stayed at Le Meridien, 333 Battery St in the Financial District. Excellent hotel. We paid AU$ 870 for 5 nights through easytobook.com, but you can try other websites as well.

It was closer to the Ferry Building and Embarcadero, very nice area, but a very pleasant walk to other areas as well, depending how much walking you want to do. The BART station is nearby and so is the cable car stop.

You may want to look it up on a map to see its position in relation to where you want to go and what you want to see.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies - Gabriel, that's the dilemma I'm having, there are really nice hotels which seem just a little bit further away. We will do a lot of walking anyway and particularly as a lot of it will be uphill, Id rather not have to walk to get to the centre of things.

I've just come across the Hotel Monaco which looks quite nice - why would you recommend it starrs?

It looks like we'll have to increase our budget a bit for new year as hotels as more expensive, so we're probably going to have to stretch to $300-$350. Also just come across the Nikko and the Parc 55 Wyndham which could be good options.

there's just too much to chose from and it gets more and more confusing!
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 04:39 AM

I've stayed in a dozen or so hotels in SF, mostly for business travel and all (but one) were fine. On every trip I check out of the hotel provided by my company and into the Monaco for my leisure part of the trip. The Monaco is a Kimpton hotel and they are a great boutique hotel chain. I love the location of the Monaco. The staff there is fabulous. Love the rooms and the vibes. Love the free wine in the afternoons. Love the restaurant attached to it. Love everything about it. It's listed on my profile page as my favorite hotel anywhere. It seems to match what you are looking for in your OP. For all of those reasons, I recommended it to you.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 05:11 AM

There is a Cyber Monday sale going on right now at both Kimpton and Marriott with 30% off rooms.

I would opt for something not in Nob Hill nor Fishermans Wharf. Union Sq area and in the close by area is optimal IMHO.

We have been to San Francisco almost annually for the past 6 years. We just stayed at The Serrano ( a Kimpton, right next to The Monaco) and really were pleased.

iF you end up at a Kimpton, join their Loyalty club, In Touch, which is free with nice perks. Also, the hotels have wine happy hour each night for free.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stay two different places - one near Union square and once on the Embarcadero / edge of the financial district. The Hyatt across from the ferry bldg is a great location with the waterfront/ferry building/a cable car line and BART station all practiaclly on the doorstep. Plus the views are amazing.

The other stay - any kimpton property would be great.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 06:30 AM

Kimpton has 9 different hotels in SF [it's their home office location].

I agree with janis that one with views of water is nice - Kimpton's Harbor Court has that too.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another plug for Kimptons -- I love the Monaco and the Serrano. Will be at the Prescott next week.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM

Whichever hotel you decide on, join their loyalty program before you go. It does make a difference
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM

The Omni Hotels are also offering a sale, but it expires tonight at midnight--join their Select Guest program and book using the promo code FRIDAY for 40% off! Good on stays through 12/30.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Omni this summer for a wedding. Nice location on California Street. Also check out Hotel Vitale on the Embarcadero.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM

We did not like the JW Marriott at Union Square.

The Monaco is wonderful. Join their 'club' and you get more discounts.

If there's a CyberMonday special for Kimpton, jump on it. ALL their properties are great.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM

Kimpton = 30% off per by post above.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM

>>go to restaurants, cafes, sightsee, explore the various neighbourhoods,
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM

I stayed at the 'The Inn at Union Square'. Perfect location & great hotel.
I would not stay in fisherman's wharf.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks so much for all your replies. The Kimpton hotels are certainly popular. I'm favouring the Monaco at the moment.

With your help I've narrowed it down to:

1st 4 night options

The Monaco
JW Marriott
The Huntington Hotel Nob Hill (got great rates on this - looks lovely, has a pool - any thoughts?)
Hotel Nikko - looks nice and has a pool

2nd 3 nights options:
Hotel Vitale (love this but pretty exxy - is it worth it?)
Hyatt Regency Waterfront
The Monaco (if we don't stay there on 1st visit)
Hotel Nikko (if we don't stay there in 1st visit)

Any comments on above, particularly on the surrounding areas ie is there's lots around these hotels, specifically waterfront and nob hill?

I'm thinking if we stay in nob hill over Christmas we'd probably do the Monaco (or Nikko or jw marriott) for new year, but if we stay in one of those over Christmas then the waterfront for new year.

Thanks so much guys - feel like I'm finally sorting through this sea of hotels!
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM

Personally, I'd do the Monaco for the first set of dates and then I'd go to the Grand Hyatt for New Year's because of the fabulous views of the city.
http://grandsanfrancisco.hyatt.com/e...ooms/view.html

That's basically the same location -but those are two of my favorite hotels in SF.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM

Maybe you didn't see my comment above? The JW Marriott is nothing special at all, in its rooms or its property. It is loud, because it's built around an open area down to the lobby. The sound travels, and the rooms all open into this space.

Service not so great, either. Doormen will stand there and do nothing to open the door for you.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM

>>Any comments on above, particularly on the surrounding areas ie is there's lots around these hotels, specifically waterfront and nob hill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -