Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you could see just ONE show in Vegas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are heading there for three nights in October. Big anniversary for us! What would be your choice as the best show to see?

My wife LOVES Broadway and I want to take her to a show that is a SPECTACLE! We are going to be staying at Bellagio but are willing to go to another hotel if necessary.

Thanks,

Marc
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM

The most spectacular show I have ever seen (I live 25 min from NYC so I have seen plenty of broadway shows) is "O". In fact we saw it twice, it was the m ost beautiful show I have ever seen - I had to see it again. The second time we got 3rd row center seats and it was like a different show. If you do see this show, do not be put off by anyone saying those are "splash seats" they are not really. If you can get those seats, get them, - To have the performers that close that you can see them and also have them see you makes the show that much more unbelieveable. At one point they were actually flying over our heads...

It is just a great show, so beautiful, that I would see it again for a third time. If you are staying at th Bellagio, it does not get any easier than that. After the show have champagne and caviar at Petrosian for a special treat.

You made an excellent choice, the Bellagio is such a great hotel. It really has the best of everything. You will love it I hope you told them it is your aniversary when you made your reservations. If you make dinner reservations anywhere, make sure to tell them as they will do something special for you At Picasso, the chef made me a beautiful dessert with my name on it and came out to say hello.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

I have heard of "O" but my wife does not want to see anything over the top sexy. I am not sure if "O" is like that.

She mentioned wanting to see Danny Gans at The Mirage. Is he worth seeing?

Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Although it's not Broadway-type, my vote would be for Blue Man Group at the Luxor! It's hard to describe, but it's loads of fun - energetic,different,funny! I plan to go again next time we're there. Mystere at Treasure Island is also very popular & entertaining. The water version is "O" at the Bellagio.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM

I agree, O is the best show in Vegas. BTW - "O" is not overtly provacative. I'm not sure, but I think "O" is symbolic of the pool (correct me if I'm wrong), it is not suggestive of anything else...

Also, as the above poster noted, Bellagio's a great choice. I would also highly recommend NobHill at MGM, it's currently one of my favorite restaurants. 3 words - Lobster Pot Pie. Ohhh.....Good stuff.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM

FYI...there is no sex or nudity in "O"- just pure entertainment and awe. It is a g-rated beautiful show, actually if one of the few no sex, no nudity shows in town. I have seen young children in the audience...they seemed to love it too.

You should get the book unofficial guide to Las vegas. It will outline all shows, restaurants,shops etc...It may be helpful to you in planning your trip
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:34 PM

While I enjoyed "O", some of my crowd Just Didn't Get It.
"Zumanity" is the R rated show. Haven't seen it, can't comment.
Different city, different year, I Just Didn't Get "Blue Man Group"

Do you and your wife enjoy performance art or do you want a NYC or London style musical?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Personally, I LOVED Danny Gans! He was really great!! And I don't recall any sex! ( In the SHOW for any of you smart guys out there!)OSB.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM

This thread has taken a turn. In your original post you said "just ONE show" and "spectacle". You have narrowed the field to one show which is a spectacular one - O. Danny Gans may border on genius at what he does. But for one spectacular, you are looking for O. Anyone who didn't "get" O, was trying to make more out of it than there is. It is a bit of spectacular entertainment, nothing more and nothing less.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:09 PM

If someone went to the Rose Bowl parade and said they just didn't "get" it, what would you think? Same thing.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM

There's nothing sexual about "O', you may be confusing that with Zumanity. My other suggestion would be the Cirque Du Soleil Mystere.

Then there's always Mama Mia if you are broadway fans, but I think Cirque is your best choice. Some people are a little put off by "O" because they find it a little too artsy, but worth it to see just once. Mystere is a little more for everyone. To me the safest choice.

Blue Man Group, either you will love it or hate it.

Danny Gans is singing impersonations.

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We've narrowed it down to Danny Gans and O. Both totally different kind of shows to be sure! Hey we're there for three nights why not see BOTH?

Would you recommend the earlier show (around 7:00 or later show 10/10:30)? No kids will be with us.

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Hi G

Danny Gans was a great show -- haven't seen O, but have seen several CdeS shows and the images seem to run together in my mind after awhile -- maybe the water will set O apart. Re times of shows, I don't know where you're coming from, but when I travel to Vegas, esp for a short visit, I try to stay moderately on East Coast time -- that means dinner when the restaurants open and the early shows. Best advice I can give is to have lunch at Rosemary's, about 15 minutes out West Sahara from the strip. The BEST! lunch deal in the country -- three-course gourmet lunch for $20.05.

s
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:20 AM

LOL

So much for ONE....

Instead you have chosen to go to 2 of the most expensive shows in town.

It's your trip so it's up to you, I just find that ironic. IMHO Jubilee and Follies are Vegas Spectacle. There is a covered option for those who are topless adverse. On the other hand, this sounds like your first time...Vegas is a spectacle on its own.

Have a great anniversary trip!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Can I make your decision a bit more difficult?

If you are going to see two shows and want spectacle, there's nothing more spectacular on the strip than KA, the new Cirque du Soleil show at the MGM. If possible, it is even more spectacular than "O".
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Don't forget that LV also has headliners in town. Last year we saw Dennis Miller (brilliant) and this year we saw Tom JOnes, so entertaining. Both shows were only about $70 with awesome seats. We did not see either show advertized on the internet. Found out when we got there, don't know why there was not advance notice.

So, you might want to leave yourself open to surprises you didn't know about. Or even talk to the concierge.

This woman who works at Mandalay Bay was telling us that Zeigfried and Roy's Havana Nights is quite the talk of the town these days. And I didn't see much of that on the internet either. Z and R produce the show, they are not in it. We didn't get a chance to see it and I was very disappointed it. I cannot remember where it is. Sorry.

So, there are endless possibilities in Las Vegas for entertainment. Hard to pick just one, huh...
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:30 AM

O hands down is my fav---and i have seen most. However I have not yet seen KA...from what I hear its tops.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 10:54 AM

I loved Blue Man Group. I told my mother that she had to go see it when she went to Vegas. Totally didn't get it.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Seigfried & Roy's show - Havana Nights - is at the Stardust and is supposed to be good. There is also a great group - Society of Seven - performing at Bally's in the Jubilee Theater. They are from Hawaii and put on a terrific show and it's reasonably priced, unlike Danny Gans. Also, Clint Holmes at Harrah's is very good and less than Danny Gans, if that matters at all.

Mama Mia is supposed to be excellent. Of course "O" is the reigning queen and you couldn't have picked a better hotel than Bellagio, unless, of course, you picked the brand new Wynn Las Vegas which will be open by then. In any event - enjoy yourselves and have fun.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM

No contest - O hands down. Have seen Mystere, Danny Gans, plus numberous other shows, (live in NYC and go to the theatre a lot), "O" was one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. Totally agree with "Annabel", follow these instructions and you will not be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -