Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you could produce a show on the Travel Channel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:49 AM
lisa

After reading (on the fodors/hgtv thread) that many of us share the same thoughts about the Travel Channel, I do plan to write them with some ideas for shows.

So, if you could produce a show on the Travel Channel, what would it be?

An idea I have (which I'm still working out in my mind) is a show like "NY on Budget" where they'd suggest reasonable priced hotels, tours, shopping, restaurants, etc. Or another on unique vacations, like barging in France (something I want to do) where they tape someone on the trip, yada, yada.

Your ideas?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:03 AM
Shain

Hi lisa,
interesting .... maybe if it'simited to the us only I would like to make another
road movie (haha)

"191 - widing through rocky souls"
explore with us the nameless spots,
the hidden wonders and the remarable nature along and aside of americas undiscovered hwy.
Meet people which never left the valley and go with us through the change of seasons.
Let us you escape to the souls
of our fellow rocky neighbours along the 191.

Also I got omething outside the US!!
curious ? email me !
Shain/eu/de/düsseldorf

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:11 AM
lisa

Shain, will email you but don't believe you sent the correct email. Shouldn't there be a "@" and a "." or two in there? Better yet, share your idea with us all!

Thanks!

L

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:14 AM
James

Ooooh, this could become a VERY interesting thread I can't wait to see some of the responses.

I've often thought about making a show here in the Bay Area with a different topic each episode, and going around the Bay Area to find things that fit the topic and talking about them, interviewing the owner, customers, etc. But since I live here, I guess that's not exactly a "travel" show.

I think I would probably produce a show featuring interesting urban North American neighborhoods. I might highlight a different city each episode and talk about some of the more unique neighborhoods in that city. For example:

1. New York (might have to be a few episodes): East Village, Gramercy Park/Union Square, Hell's Kitchen, Inwood, Upper East Side.
2. Baltimore: Hampden, Charles Village, Canton, Federal Hill, Bolton Hill
3. San Fran: Noe Valley, SoMa, Inner Sunset, Outer Mission

Obviously, many more....

I'd focus on areas that aren't on the typical tourist agenda and highlight a bit of the history of the neighborhoods. Mostly, I'd concentrate on the current status of the neighborhoods, like what services are available (especially unique services), what kind of people live there, and what the architecture is like.

Anyone else got some fun show ideas?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:19 AM
Beth2

Lisa, Great idea! So far, I think the Travel Chanel is more of a venue for info-mertials.
I'd love to see a fantasy program with the opposite theme: "luxury vacations." (I guess that was done with Robin Leach's Lifestyles R&F a few years back!) Or something about various modes of travel or accommodations, such as Train Travel Destinations or Castle Lodgings!
How about a show about Americans who have moved to other countries: who, where, why, how.
I think this thread will take off, so be sure you tell them to check it out when you write your letter!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:20 AM
Shain

Hi Again,
my email adress is:
[email protected]

"Where >Pippi< was at home"
Come with us today on a journey to the southwestern tip of magnificient sweden.
Where "smörebröd" red roofes and a wonderful easy spirit lies in the air.
Since we all know Astrid Lindgrens story tales of wild kids running around
in early days, you now can enjoy the great "outdoors" and the charming
lake sides from the view of a "Dreisine".(kind of tricyclette on a closed railwayline) you can drive for hundereds of kilometers on this, switch to canoueing, watch elks or just come in winter, when the "God Jul" is celebrated in all that shining warm colors that makes it much more cosier here.
So, step on our "Dreisine" through the
wildromatic landscape of "Värmland" and
create your own "Lindgren" fairytale under the "aurora borealis" while your fireplace keeps your warm. Tak.

Whatbaout this production - you sure will love it.
Shain/eu/de/düsseldorf

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Sark Castic

I think the Travel Channel needs more shows about Vegas in prime time. 5 nights of the week just isn't enough.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:29 AM
hmmm

I'd fire Rick Steves and hire Joseph Cameron.

Leisure With Leone

"Leisure With Leone" would be a fun show. He's interesting and loquacious, takes great vacations, goes to the best restaurants and always seems to have a good time.

ME

I would do an E! episode of Wild On.
Wild On Amsterdam Red Light District or somewhere exotic like Tahiti or Ibiza.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:31 AM
lisa

Whew Shain, I think the producers will need to contact you!!! Lovely idea. I want to go to Sweden....

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:37 AM
Shain

Thank you lisa,
but - never seen the travel channel, living in germany makes it hard to get those (cable) programms.
What about your idea ?
Shain/eu/de/düsseldorf

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Susan

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it but I was enjoying that Race Around the World or whatever it was called on one of the network stations. What bugged me about it though, was that there were English-speaking people available to these travelers whenever they arrived in a new city, ready to offer directions, etc.

I'd love to see a similar show where you see the people really having to work to get from point A to point B. Really give three or four couples a few thousand dollars and an itinerary, perhaps a treasure hunt, and follow them with cameras. It was interesting to see how one couple chose to wait six hours for a direct flight and got to Rome from Morocco faster than the other couples who jumped on the first plane to London, thinking there would be ample flights from there to Rome. That sort of thing....

And I think James has a great idea with his thread here about walking districts in cities. James, you'd have to include shopping, though, to please the masses;-)

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:54 AM
lisa

Shain.. briefly, my ideas were shows on visiting cities (except Las Vegas or Miami...) on varying budgets - must-sees, restaurants, hotels, shopping. Also, unique vacations - like barging on a canal through France. (This is something I'm interested in, and read varying reports, so I'd like to see someone tape their trip.)

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:06 AM
Shain

Hi Lisa,
maybe check the following site:
http://www.voxtours.de
one of the leading travel magazines around here.
That's nice - actually one of my friends
boatet from Düsseldorf/river rhine down
to mulhouse(france) canal to the rhone
(rhine-rhone canal) and further on to lyon and marseille so - you are on the cote adzur.
But you really have a boating certificate for that. Another nice thing are the over 114.000 lakes in findland with their about 100.000 islands in it. Can you imagine how many abundand little island you can find there in summer time while canouing or cayaking ?
Did you ever think of a traintrip from amsterdam to vladivostok ?
Just read a nice article on todays
"Frankfurt Allgemeine Zeitung /FAZ/)
taking it three weeks via Berlin, moscow, Irkutsk,
Ulan Bator to the ochotskian sea.
Well that would be another show !(haha)
Shain/eu/de/düsseldorf

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:25 AM
James

Ah yes, the masses..... I guess that's why, even with 200 channels, there's still never anything good on TV. Ugh. I mean, Home improvement was rated #1 for like FIVE years. How many times can we all watch someone hiding behind a fence giving advice to a guy who electrocutes himself 3 times each episode?

Anyway, maybe there could be two different channels. One for interesting and useful info and shows. And one that talks about Vegas, Times Square, Orlando and Branson, MO. In order to boost ratings, they'd have to include shows on where to find the tackiest clothes that scream "I'm a Tourist" to all the natives. And another one on how to find the longest lines for the least interesting attractions (can anyone say Statue of Liberty?). How about an episode on restaurants you can go to and bitch about how it's more expensive than that Denny's off the interstate near where you live and they don't even have a burger on the menu. Ooooh, don't forget the episode about how to take pictures of the same things everyone else does, that you've seen a million times, because if you don't, no one back home will believe you were REALLY there.

Anyway, maybe I'm too cynical. But it's fun

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:52 AM
nina

Move over Leone, I want my own show. I would of course get to host it. It could be about family travel. That way I could travel all over the world and bring my kids along to test out the suitability of each destination, all paid for by the network. We could spotlight resorts with the pint-sized bathrobes, Nintendo attached to the T.V.'s (along with the $10/hr. charge), smiling and lobotomized counselors at the kiddie camp and restaurants that specialize in chicken fingers (and fries), hot dogs (and fries), pizza (and fries) etc. etc... The 10 best resorts would all contain the ever important phrase "Kids stay, play and eat free!"

In fairness to my frend who despises family travel, she could host a show strictly devoted to avoiding children while traveling, complete with cameo's of annoying children on airplanes, tired children in restaurants and hyperactive tots pelting her with frisbees! I think it's got potential.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:08 AM
Maryann

I saw a show last week on Food TV (I think). They went to several New Orleans restaurants, toured the dining rooms and kitchens, and talked to the chefs and owners.

I'd like something similar with some editorial comment. I guess it would be like a video review. It would be interesting to do the same thing with hotels and maybe some attractions.

I think too many of the Travel Channel shows are too "everything is wonderful." I'd like to see the host look at the camera and say something like "the food here really isn't that good, but the place is skating by on its reputation."

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:09 AM
L

Okay, Nina ... you've sold me. Maybe I could do a sandwich of the week type of thing. Introduce some new spreads, new wrinkles on wax paper, a variety of drinks to go. The latest in chips packaging and low-cholesterol oils. I feel the concept coming together. Maybe a kids corner, what they prefer at the mid-morning break. Ciao

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:09 AM
lisa

And I, of course, want to do the episode on barging on the canals of France.

Hope they are reading this (I sent them and email and suggested it...). Looks like we have about a half dozen or so new shows all lined up for them - Shain in Sweden, Jay's Northern American Neighborhoods, In the Castle with Beth, Leisure with Leone (Ciao for now!), Getting There with Susan, and Nina and the Kids...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -