Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If you could live anywhere in the USA... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-you-could-live-anywhere-in-the-usa-720085/)

jenbertoni Jul 11th, 2007 06:38 PM

If you could live anywhere in the USA...

where would it be and why? I currently live in orange county, california and am about to graduate college and dont want to live in "the OC" anymore. Im looking to get a job (accounting) and live elsewhere, but i cant figure out where. I find a lot of the people here are not very genuine, are pretty judgemental, and there is not much natural beauty around here. Ideally id like to live somewhere that has a decent city life but also lots of beautiful nature scenery nearby as well. Im sort of looking for suggestions, but am also interested to here about where you would love to live and why (or why you love living where you do). I just know there are so many great places here in the united states, but ive been living in my oc bubble, so I dont really know whats out there. Thanks for any input!

starrsville Jul 11th, 2007 06:41 PM

Based on what you describe, I'd say something near Denver, CO. Personally, I'd move closer to Durango, CO, but that's a tight job market.

DebitNM Jul 11th, 2007 06:44 PM

The cost of housing in Durango is through the roof too. Folks are starting to live out to the west of Durango now. Mancos, Delores, Cortez etc.

tmontauk Jul 11th, 2007 07:45 PM

I have a friend who just moved outside of Jackson Hole ... on the cheaper Idaho side and she loves it there.

stevebarr Jul 11th, 2007 09:13 PM

The mountains of Western North Carolina! GREAT people, fantastic scenery, and there's a decent "nightlife" in Asheville if that's what you're looking for.

I prefer to live a little further out. In the town I live in, people consider more than three cars at the same stop sign a "traffic jam". They wave and smile when they pass in the other direction.

Folks stop to help someone who is stranded by the roadside. And, the temperatures are rather moderate all year round, so we can play outdoors almost all of the time!

Can't beat it, in my book.

dncdave Jul 11th, 2007 09:19 PM

I want two things in the place where I live: 1) decent climate most of the year; 2) A big city with all the things that a big city has to offer.

After thinking about it for years, the only place that meets those two requiments is LA. (And I love visiting Chicago, and have lived in both NY and SF - NY the weather is lousy half the time in the winter and summer - SF is a small city. Sorry.)

Also, if you like nature, LA is an hour and a half from desert, mountain, and other natural environments.

dfrostnh Jul 12th, 2007 03:19 AM

I live in NH. We almost moved to the Asheville NC area because it met all our requirements but decided we wanted to stay near family. Our son has a very close relationship with his paternal grandparents. We worked in Boston for the first two years out of college and we just weren't city people although I very much enjoy occasional weekends. My husband prefers rural areas so it's nice to live in a very small town with easy access to a city. Boston is only an hour and half away. Concord/Manchester/Portsmouth are nice small cities. Unfortunately, cost of housing keeps going up making it unaffordable to many young people. I liked that we were able to raise our son in a 4 season climate near good swimming, great hiking, etc. He could snowmobile from our backdoor. He was also very lucky to have a part-time job with a couple with an exciting hobby who invited him (and sometimes us) on some of their jaunts. I can work in the city and belong to a professional organization and watch wildlife from our porch. My husband did a lot of volunteer work for the town over the years. It's nice to be able to make a significant contribution to the community. We're still involved with 4-H although our son is grown and has started his own family. Thanks to my job and hobby I have friends around the country and spend at least two weeks each year on wonderful business trips. (might as well be vacations) BTW property taxes now include a factor for "views". Years ago when we moved back to my husband's hometown it dawned on me that in a small town we knew a greater variety of people from different backgrounds whereas in the city we socialized with his co-workers and a few neighbors. (Maybe as everyone matures they meet a wider variety of people with different interests and backgrounds.) I like being around people who are doing what they like to do whether it's dairying or professional engineering. We live a slower pace of life yet there are a surprising number of advantages. A writer/artist in the next town received a MacArthur award. There's incredible talent living "next door". One of our best 4-H honors evening speakers was Drew Conroy who started raising working steers (oxen) as a young boy. His parents thought it was too old fashioned and reminded him that if he wanted to quit they could always eat the steers. He's a professor in a dairy science specialty now and has developed an international reputation as an authority on working steers, volunteers with Tillers International in African countries, and has been in a couple of movies when they needed oxen. So it probably doesn't matter where you lives as long as you do what you really want to do.

mrsd2fan Jul 12th, 2007 04:52 AM

I'd move back home to Central New York in the summer months, and I'd live in the Keys in the winter months....now all I need to do is hit the lottery and I'll be all set! =)

Hubster Jul 12th, 2007 05:00 AM

Look into Eugene or Corvallis, OR.

mrsd2fan Jul 12th, 2007 05:04 AM

OOOPPSSS... Sorry...I guess I didn't really read your message...
I currently live in Athens, GA, it's a college town and a very pretty town. I have always wanted to live in the south (I lived most of my life in Central New York State) and now that I'm here, I want to move back home. I love Central New York, you have the 4 seasons. The countryside is spectacular. Lots of lakes and mountains. When you tell people that you're from NY, they all assume you're from the city. NYS is SOOO much more than NYC.

gingerman Jul 12th, 2007 05:36 AM

I want to live in Mayberry.

JJ5 Jul 12th, 2007 05:42 AM

www.findyourspot.com

and be honest.

jenbertoni Jul 12th, 2007 07:00 AM

thanks for the responses guys! I find this very interesting and helpful, and ill try that findyourspot site asap! :-)

GoTravel Jul 12th, 2007 07:08 AM

To me anytime someone says that their location has four seasons means they have an unusually long winter.

Cities that I know with great singles population and lots to do:

Atlanta
Raleigh
Charlotte
Chicago

jbass Jul 12th, 2007 07:55 AM

<i>&quot;Decent climate most of the year = <b>Los Angeles</b>&quot; </i> ??

What about the &quot;S&quot; word as in smog? ;)

Dayle Jul 12th, 2007 08:04 AM

Hey guys,

If you read Jen's original question, she already lives in Orange County, CA (nicer than LA). I doubt very much she would want to move up the freeway to LA.

Jen, I escaped Orange County a few years ago and picked where I live now. Love it, but the word got out when we had the Olympics and development is out of control.

May have to start looking for a new escape. Maybe, Alaska.....

Ag3046 Jul 12th, 2007 08:32 AM

Anywhere?

Maui. And have second home in Bend, Oregon

sunbum1944 Jul 12th, 2007 08:53 AM

I think Portland would be a great city for a young person - its a beautiful city and its surrounded by a lot of natural beauty - there is skiing, hiking, biking , great restaurants and
seems like a great nightlife.
I was just there last weekend - and am always impressed.

Someone mentioned Eugene- it is a nice city but I dont really recommend it for young people - for one thing jobs are not that plentiful here and the cost of housing is high compared to the average salary.

vlcgoddess Jul 12th, 2007 09:27 AM

I lived in LA proper for 4 years and moved to Portland, OR 3 years ago. Portland is great! It is incredibly beautiful all year-round, but especially in the summer. 80 degree weather but still green, the ocean and the mountains are each an hour away. Yes, it does rain, but that's what makes it so green. Portland is a very friendly city with amazing public transportation (not something you'll find in LA!) and many varieties of neighborhoods--you'll find granola hippy and trendy socialite neighborhoods, and oftentimes you'll find these people sitting in the same restaurant. There are great arts programs, restaurants and many, many things to do.
Can you tell I love living in Portland?
P.S. What university are you graduating from? Chapman?

stevebarr Jul 12th, 2007 10:09 AM

gingerman - Mayberry does exist, if you really want to live there! The town of Mount Airy, North Carolina is where Andy Griffith grew up, and the sets on his show were modeled after the shops in downtown Mount Airy. And, it's just a hop, skip and a jump from there to Mount Pilot (actually, Pilot Mountain).

They have an annual celebration there each fall, with surviving members of the cast showing up for the parade and festivities....as well as look-a-likes imitating the cast members on the streets.

You can visit the Bluebird Cafe, Floyd's barber shop and lots of other places you've seen on the show. You might even find yourself locked up in the jail....but don't worry, you can always let yourself out whenever you want to.

They even have &quot;taxi&quot; tours of the downtown area.....you get to ride in the back of some of the original squad cars that were used on the show.

Here's a link....

http://www.visitmayberry.com/