Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If I Slip The Screener A Five, Will Let Let Me Ride The XRay Machine And Tell Me If I Have Kidney Stones? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-i-slip-the-screener-a-five-will-let-let-me-ride-the-xray-machine-and-tell-me-if-i-have-kidney-stones-206934/)

Oh The Pain Nov 13th, 2001 02:10 PM

If I Slip The Screener A Five, Will Let Let Me Ride The XRay Machine And Tell Me If I Have Kidney Stones?

Lately the pain has been unbearable, but I'm a little low on cash since I feel that I have to TRAVEL to save the economy. I know it sounds a little crazy, but do you think if I went there during off peak hours I could maybe work something out with the screener?

Don Nov 13th, 2001 02:14 PM

Nice. :)

Don't Nov 13th, 2001 02:18 PM

Sorry to tell you they can't even seem to find box cutters, knives or even guns with their X-ray machines. I think you will just have to go to the regular radiologist and hope he can help. And, it will be a BIG contribution to his economy.

rocko Nov 13th, 2001 02:21 PM

Slip me a fiver and I'll shatter them for you.

me Nov 13th, 2001 03:25 PM

I just have to say that I think you should win "Post of the Year" with that one. ROFLMAO!

lyn Nov 13th, 2001 03:35 PM

Tacky post. Maybe this will come back to bite you in the ass.

Tried That Nov 13th, 2001 03:58 PM

I had this done at the Omaha airport late one Saturday night. The guy told me it is just like an MRI, only quicker and no annoying clicking. The best part was, they through in a free breast exam. I would highly recommend Omaha.

BeanCounter Nov 13th, 2001 04:05 PM

This is your HMO. Please be advised that we will not reimburse you, your health care provider, your descendants or your ancestors for any unauthorized medical procedures. In the case of kidney stones, we require certification from your gatekeeper nurse practitioner 6 months in advance. We will not cover any prescription drugs to alleviate your human suffering, but we understand that Advil is on sale at Walmart.<BR><BR>Take care.

CM in Biloxi Nov 13th, 2001 06:18 PM

Just a reminder....you must have IVP dye injected before an X-ray machine will pick up the stones. Hope the security worker making $5.25 an hour can find the vein. Good luck!<BR><BR>By the way, I think this is a great thread, considering I was called "stupid" for asking a simple question. Kinda lightens things up on this rather stuffy board.

Al Godon Nov 13th, 2001 06:20 PM

I have a friend whose son had kidney stones, real ones. He had heard of lithotripsy. So he loaded up on beer, a lot of it even for a college student, turned his high fi set on full blast and stood in front of the speakers. After a few hours of this therapy, his pain was gone. He swears up and down that the sound waves blasted the stones.<BR>My urologist tends to disagree with him.<BR>Perhaps the high volume of liquid that he ingested rather than the high volume of his speakers helped him to pass the stone, assuming that was the problem.

qiu Nov 14th, 2001 04:45 AM

These days they turn on the X-ray on stupendously high so not only would you detect your kidney stones but also crontact skin cancer...

heehee Nov 14th, 2001 05:03 AM

<BR>No, you have to slip him at least a $20 for this to work. I learned this through personal experience.

airport Nov 14th, 2001 05:38 AM

My mom is a screener and she has actually told me people have tried to do this before.<BR>She said that many will also put their babies in the machine ( they don't want to take the baby out of the carrier so they put the carrier with the baby in it, into the machine).<BR>Also, she said that people always put the animals through the machine as well when they are in the small size cages.<BR>I think if you try this, however, your screener will not be happy with you.

General Thade Nov 14th, 2001 05:40 AM

DO NOT send your monkey through the X-Ray machine!

x Nov 14th, 2001 06:37 AM

If it was as large as my aunt's, the machine would definitely find it. She had it removed in YEARS ago - and the surgeon cleaned it up and gave it back to her! The body was the size of a golf ball. The fingers sticking out from it were about the size of a child's finger. Wierd!

Leone Nov 14th, 2001 06:56 AM

The stones are in your head, perhaps. Someone ought to check you curbside. Ciao

Oh The Pain Nov 14th, 2001 07:39 AM

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. I would like to tell you that part of the title should read "will they let me ride the XRay machine". The pain is so great sometimes I can't even type right.<BR><BR>

x Nov 14th, 2001 07:47 AM

FINALLY a post that something to do with travel!

dee Nov 14th, 2001 09:14 AM

what does ROFLMAO mean? I thought "rolling on floor laughing..." but I couldn't guess the rest.

My Ass Off Nov 14th, 2001 09:22 AM