Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   If I like New Orleans, I would like...... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/if-i-like-new-orleans-i-would-like-278383/)

Ed Dec 9th, 2002 01:20 AM

If I like New Orleans, I would like......

If I like New Orleans, I would like.....what else?<BR><BR>My friends and I have made a trip to NO for Mardi Gras in 2001, then Jazzfest in 2002. We are interested in making annual trips, but we'dlike to check out some different areas, all over the country.<BR><BR>Here are what these guys are gonna look for though. First, it's all guys in our mid and early twenties. We need someplace with a pretty extensive nightlife to satisfy all of us, but enough other stuff to check out during the day too. Oh, and also, we'd like to go either in Autumn or Spring.<BR><BR>Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

xxx Dec 9th, 2002 03:49 AM

If you like New Orleans you should love Key West. It's like the French Quarter with water.

Me2 Dec 9th, 2002 03:55 AM

I guess the obvious are Las Vegas and Miami. Also, Newport, RI would be perfect. I think even Nantucket off Cape Cod would be a good choice - but go in the summer when it's warm and hopping!

SA Dec 9th, 2002 04:51 AM

I think the place most like No is probably Charleston. It shares many of the French influences, has an old market, great food.....

123 Dec 9th, 2002 04:56 AM

Key West!

Dan Dec 9th, 2002 05:22 AM

Detroit and Gary, Indiana. New Orleans, yuck!

steve Dec 9th, 2002 06:11 AM

Austin has great music and food, but it's certainly weak on architecture. San Francisco has it all.

Nancy Dec 9th, 2002 06:29 AM

I agree totally with the posters who suggested Key West. It's the first thing that came to mind. It's got that same &quot;party 24/7&quot; mindset.<BR>Lots of different kinds of music and a HUGE bar scene.<BR>Add the hilarious drunken cruise-shippers and you've got a party any time of the day or night.<BR>I'd also suggest Charleston and maybe Savannah.

zootsi Dec 9th, 2002 06:43 AM

The Montreal Jazz Fest, held in late June. The biggest in the world, lots of free outdoor music of all kinds, great party atmosphere.

oncewas20something Dec 9th, 2002 08:36 AM

Sounds like Hermosa Beach, CA is right up your alley. Lots of action down on on The Strand-----tons of 20 something's bars for you to busy yourselves with at night and that great bikini filled beach during the day (all my guy friends adore Hermosa, baby).<BR>Vacation rentals.com may have some houses that are right on The Strand. Enjoy!

Jon-Eric Dec 9th, 2002 04:29 PM

this is an interesting question. I'd say if you like New Orleans you'd like Savannah, I did and I live in NO. I love Charlestson,SC and seriously consider living there EVERY time I visit but is it like NOLA? Yes and no. Yes in history and great people, but in spirit no. Savannah is more like NOLA in spririt. Key West definitely shares a lot with N.O. and I actually found a little neighborhood in Baltimore that as I approached it from the water taxi it reminded me of Decatur st here... what was that place...damn I cant think of it now. Anyway, San Antonio reminded me a lot of N.O. also.

Jon-Eric Dec 9th, 2002 04:31 PM

I remembered!! Its called Fells Point, the neighborhood in Baltimore that reminded me of New Orleans. Anyway the view from their harbor really reminded me of the quarter.

Owen O'Neill Dec 9th, 2002 06:45 PM

Key West was the first thign that came to my mind as being reminiscent of NO but it is a more laid back scene - fair number of bars on Duval but it's not he wild all-night party scene that NO is (but thena again.... waht is?). YOU might conisder South beach - lots of visual appeal in the buildings and the people if that's your thing and the party scene runs all night. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities to visit but if I was still a partier I'd want to get an early start on my evenings - the bars close up at 1 AM sharp! Why not pick a weekend or week in NYC in the spring or fall when there are a ferw good club shows and make an NYC trip? There's a great bar and club party scene for guys your age on the Lower East Side and if yo come in the fall when the CMJ (College Music Journal) music marathon is taking place, there's a slew of great club and small theatre shows. My daughter is in her early 20's - she volunteered on staff at a few of the shows and attended a bunch of others - said it was fantastic. Here's a link to a list of some of the groups who played this year http://www.cmj.com/marathon/showcase.php

Christine Dec 13th, 2002 04:20 PM

I agree with Key West and San Francisco.

cap Dec 16th, 2002 08:11 AM

<BR>San Fransisco. Don't know what to call that subtle, gentle feeling of peacefull well-being that I get wandering around, but I've only felt it in SF and NO. <BR>

Kal Dec 16th, 2002 08:20 AM

Another vote for San Antonio. Especially when you go to &quot;Fat Tuesdays&quot; at the Riverwalk. <BR><BR>We got a patio table overlooking the R'walk and with the humidity, Cajun/Zydeco/BLues music playing and the &quot;brain freezes&quot; from the <BR>&quot;Hi-Octane&quot; slushies, we had NOLA flashabcks and tried to take our &quot;Go Cups&quot; and walk around.<BR>We were told quickly by the bouncer, no &quot;go cups&quot; in San Antonio!<BR>And very good food and some nice old, historic hotels, too.<BR>Mahalo,<BR>Kal