Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ideas on what to do while in Kansas. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ideas-on-what-to-do-while-in-kansas-699174/)

liz3kids Apr 22nd, 2007 09:20 PM

Ideas on what to do while in Kansas.

Going to Kansas, business and pleasure trip. Just me and hubby, so a nice getaway. We are staying in the Overland Park area. Maybe some suggestions on places to eat and while hubby is working thur the days I would love to do some site seeing and shopping. Thanks for any suggestions. By the way I will be celebrating my 45th B-Day while we are there.

SomeDude Apr 23rd, 2007 06:12 AM

Whatever you do, don't click your heels together three times... Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

beentheretwice Apr 23rd, 2007 08:35 AM

You'll get more replies if you ask about things to do in Kansas City--OP is just south, and a suburb of, KC. Plenty of shopping in OP. You can do search of this site looking for Kansas City. Check into The Plaza, Crown Center, Union Station and definitely the WWI Memorial.

Pumpy Apr 23rd, 2007 08:45 AM

Go to Plaza area for drinks,shopping, and dinner (approx 13 miles from OP).

hulajake Apr 23rd, 2007 12:38 PM

There is a theme hotel up the road just off I70 and I435 called Chateau Avalon if you don't have your hotel already.
If you like Italian Johnny Cascone's is very good plus live entertainment if you like BBQ then it gets complicated. There are several to choose from Oklahoma Joe's is very good. Arthur Bryants is another some are noted more for their sauce I prefer the sauce on the side.

liz3kids Apr 23rd, 2007 09:01 PM

Thanks for all the ideas.

Keith Apr 24th, 2007 06:31 AM

Overland Park has good options for Italian, Indian, Thai, Korean, BBQ, steak. Is there something in particular that you like?

Attractions in Overland Park include the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead and the very nice Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. The best mall in the metro area is Oak Park Mall in Overland Park.

You might take advantage of already being at the southwest corner of the metro area, and drive 30 miles on over to Lawrence. It is a nice University town that still has an active interesting main street (Massachusetts Avenue) with nice shopping and restuarants.

Happy Birthday!

Err, SomeDude - clicking your heals brings you to Kansas, It doesn't do anything once you are here:-)

Keith

sunbum1944 Apr 24th, 2007 07:17 AM

I second Oklahoma Joes for barbeque- I live on the west coast and order their sauce on line- yum

The Plaza has a lot of great restaurants and shopping- dont think you'll lack for things to do if you go there.

Ozarksbill Apr 24th, 2007 09:47 AM

I think the Dead Seazs Scrolls exhibit at the K.C. train depot is still on till sometime in May. Worth seeing. We also took in the Jazz Museum and Liberty WWI Museum. Of course you haven't said what your interests are so you could go to museums or baseball games. Yes, to BBQ...that's what K.C. is noted for. As mentionded, Overland Pk. really isn't so much Kansas as it is K.C.

ozarksbill

Pumpy Apr 24th, 2007 03:38 PM

For Italian...go to Lidia's...famous chef's first restaurant outside NY. Forget Cascone's as it not so good (back in the day it was pretty good but those days are long gone by). For Steak try Plaza III (expensive)

liz3kids Apr 25th, 2007 03:05 PM

After reading all the responses I can't wait to go. We will definetly try the BBQ and one of the Italian resturants recommended-maybe for my b-day dinner! And of course lots of shopping during the day while hubby is working. Thanks again

hulajake Apr 25th, 2007 03:31 PM

Pumpy , how tough is it to get in on a Saturday night at Lidia's?
Happy B-day Liz.

Pumpy Apr 25th, 2007 05:35 PM

It's been sometime since I went on weekend night. Lunch is never a real problem but Friday & Sat nights are going to be busy. I believe they take reservations...if that helps.

Pumpy Apr 25th, 2007 05:39 PM

PS: If you're on the Plaza, go to Fiorella's for BBQ. Otherwise, if not too big a hassle, try Arthur Bryant's (unfortunately not real close to plaza or OP). FYI-Fiorella's also has a place in OP

BetsyG Apr 25th, 2007 06:40 PM

Can't resist - follow the yellow brick road, of course!

annieladd Apr 29th, 2007 03:54 PM

40 Sardines for dinner in OP. Contemporary American and quite good. You might also want to try Andres for lunch, either in OP, or the original location off the Plaza, delicious Swiss food, a lovely tearoom. It all depends on what you like though...

annieladd