Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ideas on a gorgeous place & resort in Hawii with a REAL hawiian feeling ?

Jul 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

i am going to Hawaii for my 15th birthday
(just me & my mom)
i am soooo excited , but i don't really know were to go or which hotel to stay at.
all i need is a room with two beds & a nice ocean view.
The thing i don't want, is to pay allot of money for a hotel that feels as if I'm still here in California
& what i DO want is a hotel with that Hawaiian feeling.
if you have any ideas as to were i should stay at, please let me know.
thanx
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM

First question - have you picked which island or islands you'll be visiting?
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

no not really, but i'm open minded to any island
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM

This is it -
http://www.waimeaplantation.com/
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM

I believe it's impossible to make a recommendation without knowing more about you.
It helps knowing your age, but using my two Hawaii loving daughters as an example, one is happiest in active nightlife Waikiki, while the other is a half-step removed from camping/hiking in places like the north shore of Kauai or east end of Molokai.
We've found the following to be good starting points for newbies. Answering the questions in each may be a reasonable first step in making your decision (will be interesting to compare your conclusions with those of your mom!):
http://www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/hawaiiv...and_scores.htm
This link provides a fairly good scorecard of many of the Island attributes most important to first-timers:
http://www.hawaiitips.com/Which_Island.html
Once you've narrowed your options, this overview may be an assist in breaking ties:
http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/...olokai_lanai/1
After working your way through the preceeding, this is a good source of videos; just select Islands of interest, from the upper right hand menu and enjoy yourself (the videos are best viewed in full-screen; just hit the full screen button at the lower right).
http://www.scenichawaii.com/watch/
Hope the above helps; yes it will be time consuming, but after 30 years of visiting Hawaii, my wife and I still get a hoot out of planning...and we, too, still get excited!
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM

Not sure what your budget is, but for my first (and so far, only) trip to Hawai'i from the east coast my husband and I wanted something similar. We chose to roam around the Big Island, with two nights in Hilo, one night at an oustanding B&B called Waianuhea, and then ended with a week at the Kona Village Resort--nothing else like it in all of the state. But just now when I googled it to get you the website, found out that it has closed "for an extended period of time."
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Kona Village Resort was destroyed by the tsunami. It has to be completely rebuilt.
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM

Your first decision is figuring out which islands you want to go to. Before my first trip I got a pile of guidebooks out of the library and read up (and looked at the photos) about each of the islands and what unique things they have to offer.

Next question then, do you want to stay in a city or a location with ammenities like activities, tours, restaurants, shopping, etc. nearby? Or do you want to stay somewhere more isolated and rustic?
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

@hulapieguy thank you so much for those links it really really helped !
i decided to go with Oahu , it seems as if it best fits me.
also,my mom & i are like twins, we both have the same taste so im sure it will go good
& thats just great !
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

@ejcrowe thank you i will look towards it

@suze well i decided to go with the Oahu island,
& my budget for flight + hotel or resort is around $4,000 - $4,600
& ide love to stay at a place with activities, tourist, shopping (of corse ! ) & luau's . ect.
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM

So while you're on Oahu, be sure to take a few drives - to the North Shore beaches and the town of Haleiwa, to the East Coast beaches (Kailua and Lanikai, and go kayaking, it's really fun), through the center of the island on the H3 (spectacular drive), Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, short hike to the top of DiamondHead.

Look into the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana Surfrider for accommodations.
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Hi Nelly,
Glad the links helped, but if choosing an Island is a task (my wife & I change our minds at least 3 or 4 times every year-ha!), picking a place to stay in Waikiki is an even bigger challenge...so many choices.
We bounce around every other year, for the sake of variety, but the one place we (and our daughter) keep returning to (on the Hilton Hawaiian Village end of town) is the Waikiki Shore condominium. It's the only ocean front condo in Waikiki and has great views (as long as you stay above the 5th floor). If you rent direct from an owner via VRBO.com (etc.) you'll be sure of getting an acceptable unit. The prices are generally substantially discounted in comparison to ocean front hotels, but Waikiki Shore does not have a pool; with the great beach, we don't miss having a pool, but thought I'd better mention.
Wish I could help you on a specific unit (which did include pool priviledges next door at the Reef), but our favorite has been listed for sale and we've learned to avoid the related uncertainties.
No "been there/done that" knowledge, but you might want to consider this one ( http://www.vrbo.com/214486 ). One feature that favors it is the king bed can be split into twins (there is a convertible couch in the living area, but your chances of it being comfortable are probably not so good).
If you'd rather stay on the southeastern end of Waikiki, in a very reasonably priced small hotel, take a look at the Waikiki Circle ( http://www.astonhotels.com/resort/ov...i-circle-hotel ). We're staying there on our next visit and the price for an ocean front (it's actually across the street from the beach) is only $150. It's been 6 or 7 years since we stayed there, but friends recently did and gave an A+ thumbs up (be sure and request an upper floor for better view/less traffic noise) to the recent renovation. However, again there is no pool. If a pool is on your necessity list, we've stayed at nearby Pacific Beach, Waikiki Beach and Park Shore. Of the three, the latter has the best views, but "planned/promised" needed upgrades keep getting postponed. Here is a hotel map that may help you navigate: http://www.oahughosttours.com/waikiki_map.htm
With regard to the recommendation by sf7307, 100% agree; you're missing a wonderful day (or two) if you don't take a drive around the Island. To avoid the traffic, we take a taxi from the airport to Waikiki (recommendation if you desire) and rent a convertible. There are as almost as many Hertz/Budget/Alamo/etc locations in Waikiki as ABC Stores and you'll avoid the high parking fees. Much of what you'll be doing is a reasonable walk, city bus or trolly ride away and many of the attractions outside of Waikiki (Snorkeling/Helicopter tours/etc) offer free shuttles.
One more thing and I'll quit blabbing; there are an overwhelming variety of info sources, but one we, and friends, get a special kick out of is Wayde's World. He's a funny (kinda wacky) guy that has produced a number of videos you might enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...ORLDHAWAII#g/u
Probably the best way to Wayde (sorry) through all his videos is to click on "Most Viewed" (upper right above thumbnails).
Jul 10th, 2011, 06:28 AM

Oahu is a great island choice for a first trip! You can stay in Waikiki which offers everything you want in terms of hotels, tourist activities, historic sights, shopping, luaus, restaurants, etc.
That's a very generous budget for flying from California and assuming you are staying a week?
Read the other posts here on Fodor's about Waikiki/Honolulu area, and also the rest of the island of Oahu (you may or may not want to rent a car).
Also there is a very nice forum over at www.tripadvisor.com for the area. Go to the Honolulu forum there for more ideas about places to stay and things to do.
suze
Jul 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Oops I guess I need to clarify about budget, that $4,000-4,500 is for 2 people and sharing a room? And for how many days? And flying out of LAX or other?
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM

First Kona Village does not have to be completely rebuilt but it is accurate that a great deal of construction must occur before it does reopen. It will take approximately 12-19 months from the insurance settlement (which has not happen yet) before it reopens. If everything goes right, maybe Christmas 2012, but thing rarely go smoothly.

In its stead, my wife and I stayed on the Mauna Lani Resort on the big island this May. The property is beautiful. From my POV it is one of the nicer resort properties in the islands. It has a wonderful Hawaiian feel. The snorkeling at club beach was some of the best resort snorkeling that I have experienced in the islands

Bill
Jul 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

@suze yes thats the budget for flight & hotel.
Just me & my mom with the same room but two seprate beds. im planining to stay for 7 days, & we will be flying out from san jose airport.
Jul 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Oahu/waikiki - if you want an real hawaiian resort, then it has to be Royal Hawaiian or Moana surfrider both sit right on then beach- the rest of the resorts are very non hawiian unless you stay at then Hilton Hawiian Village which is very tropical but also very commercial. they have good hawaiian entertainment at the HHVillage. HOWEVER the RHawiian and the Loana will eat up most of your budget for a week just in hotel prices - HHVillage might be a bit cheaper. have a wonderful time......