Ideas for Family Reunion Cabins or Cottages?

Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Family Reunion Cabins or Cottages?

I am responsible for gathering some ideas for our 2010 family reunion and would love some help. We usually stay in cabins in a national park, such as Yellowstone. This time I am hoping to find something in Northern CA or WA/OR that is on the coast. Ideally something near Mendocino or the Olympic Pennisula.... We would need about 5-7 large cabins. Price no more than $250 per night. Can be rustic, but access to water and other kid-friendly activities is important. Does anyone have some ideas? Thank you!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM

What time of year? And for how long?
Are people flying/driving in from all over? (In other words do you need to be close to an airport?)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Looking at end of June - early July. About 4 nights total. We'd like cooking facilities, and somewhere to gather / eat together, etc, if possible.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and we will have people flying in, so I'd say no more than 3 hours from a major airport. Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM

Try Sea Ranch in No. California, below Mendicino, above Fort Bragg. These are independently owned homes right on the ocean. I'm sure you could rent several of them close together. Many of them have hot tubs. The setting is quite beautiful with a lot of wildlife viewing (seals). Day trips to Fort Bragg, an historic Russian fort, is very close. Google Sea Ranch & I'm sure some property management companies will pop up. Otherwise you could try the Vacation Rentals By Owner site.

Another great place for family reunions is the Asilomar Conference Ground in Pacific Grove, again California. These are not independent cottages but rather rooms. It may not be what you are looking for in terms lodging but the setting is very special, close to the Monterey Aquarium, a short walk to the ocean (some rooms have ocean views), near Carmel, and a very low price. Many families have reunions here. Again, there is a lot of wildlife nearby & one can easily see sea otter, seals, sea lions, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

Sea Ranch is a great suggestion. There is a big choice of houses and we have always had a good experience.
It is really quiet and peaceful there. Cool and can be foggy at that time of year. We've stayed at Graceland (sleeps 12 I think) It and Breakers View (8?) and both were great with terrific views. However in summer both will be way more than $250/night but they do sleep lots of people! The cabins west of Highway 1 are preferable but of course are more expensive. The cabins have everything you need but are comfortable rather than luxurious....there are great walks, a river bed to explore and as fball says, lots of wildlife to view. Our kids spend hours and hours on the beach watching, digging and exploring.
Crystal Cove (http://www.crystalcovebeachcottages.org/) is also fantastic but next to impossible to get into! You have to time your reservation very precisely (I think it was 6 months ahead on the first of each month). We lucked out and were able to get three cottages sleeping a total of 14 people in August last year and it was fantasic. They are right on the beach and it is MUCH warmer than Sea Ranch!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into these. I remember driving through Sea Ranch one time years ago.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Asilomar would be really great - in Pacific Grove, Ca. Designed by Julia Morgan, it is a nice blend of semi-rustic and beautiful, comfortable, gorgeous views and ocean/beach access.

Another idea is Andril Fireplace cottages just down the road from Asilomar.

Also, just above Menodcino/Fort Bragg is Howard Creek Ranch. So much there for kids and adults, just a few yards from the beach. www.howardcreekranch.com