Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a Hawaiian resort similar to Hapuna Prince (beach, snorkeling, etc...)??

Ideas for a Hawaiian resort similar to Hapuna Prince (beach, snorkeling, etc...)??

Sep 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

DH and I are in the very beginning stages of starting think about next summer's vacation (yes, I know I am an EARLY planner), and have done Hawaii the past 2 summers. One of the options we are looking into for next summer is one week in Northern California (to see SF, wine country, Big Sur coast) and then one week to lounge at a resort in Hawaii. We have been to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island.

If we do decide to do this trip, the first week would be more sight-seeing and being active, as neither of us has ever been to California. That -- paired with the fact that this would be our 3rd trip to Hawaii -- means that we are purely looking to veg during the second week in Hawaii. I am looking for someplace like the Hapuna Prince on the BI for this week. By this I mean: a resort on a great beach that is swimmable (snorkeling there preferable), a nice pool that is not overly crowded, good restaurants on-site, lounge chairs and umbrellas at the beach and the pool.

I have not ruled out returning to Hapuna, as this fit all of our preferences the best out of all the hotels we have stayed at in Hawaii. Some of the other hotels I am looking into are:
Four Seasons Maui
Ritz Kapalua
Fairmont Kea Lani
Sheraton Maui
Sheraton Kauai
Hyatt Kauai
Princeville
I am open to any other suggestions, it is NOT limited to just Maui or Kauai. We will want to snorkel, swim at the beach and pool, eat out, shop a bit, and take a day trip or two.

As always, thanks for your help!
Sep 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

A few of the other places I have thought of are:
Turtle Bay Resort
Kauai Marriott Resort
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Aloha,
If you like Hapuna Beach, well it does not come much better. It is rated # 1 or #2 best beach in the USA year after year.
The Mauna kea Resort, Big Island also has a beautiful Beach and quiet pool. I live on the Big Island and I have found no better place than right here at home. I am blessed to live in Paradise! For work, I own a company that takes folks to swim with the dolphins... it is blessings all around. Nonetheless, I am in need of a "vacation" to veg - any ideas where to go? I have consider Iceland to curl up by a fire with a good book, watch the northern lights and go observe polar bears. But that sure sounds cold!
I am open to ideas....
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Your list contains many great choices, but there are a couple I would rule out. I've stayed at the Sheraton Kauai and would not return. The only thing it has going for it is the beach- which is great...but can be visited without a stay at the hotel. I had a (supposedly)deluxe oceanfront room. Blah decor and poor quality linens. The only view was from the small lanai; no view from inside due to the furniture placement. The oceanfront pool and spa are very small, and were filled with kids. Garden pool more serene. Food and service were poor in the restaurant. I also don't like the Princeville Hotel, although I have only been there to drink and eat. Hotel was full of convention people; very noisy. Did you know that most (maybe all) rooms have no lanai? Also, I've stayed twice on the North Shore and it poured rain almost all the time. Not gentle, passing showers, either. This was not in winter..visits were in May and October. On Kauai, I really like the Lihue Marriott. Very nice swimming beach (poor snorkeling, though), lots of grass and lawn chairs, huge pool, and good central location for day trips in either direction. As far as Maui goes, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Wailea hotels. If you like the dry Kohala climate I would think you might enjoy Wailea more than cooler Kapalua. By the way, I've made reservations at the Hapuna Prince...greatly influenced by your reports!
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM

First the "rule outs":
Not Kauai Hyatt. I LOVE the hotel and grounds, but the beach is NOT good for swimming or snorkeling.There are nearby ones that are, but that does not fulfill your requirements.
Rule out Marriott Lihue (Kauai). Beautiful but noisy, busy pool; Kalapaki beach is ok but i dont recall great snorkeling there. IMHO only, I find the hotel lacks a certain Hawaiian atmosphere--just my opinon.

R/O Princeville for reasons given above. Nice pool (it's the one in Amex ads with the infinity pool) swim up bar, OK beachl, overpriced rooms.

RECOMMEND:
Hotel near Kaplua Beach. My son and his wife were just the (At Kapalua Beach--stayed in Kahana_) and said the snorkeling and walk in the little tree forest nr the beach at Kapalua was fantastic!!!! Ritz Carlton gets mostly very good reviws on tripadvisor (which I find to usally be accurate and a great source of run-the gamut info)/

Four Seasons Maui, smaller pool, nice beach which the web site says has good snorkeling,but don't know personally. Rated number one hotel on Tripadvisor
for Maui

OR....another PRINCE hotel?? Maui Prince.. Most folks I know love it! Again, see Tripadvisor comments. Beauitul beach with great snorkeling.

Aloha and have fun planning, Beachgirl!!! I've been planning my next summer trip so now i don't feel quite as compulsive,seeing as so many other cool Fodorites are starting also
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Ritz Carlton, Kapalua, is not on Kapalua Bay Beach. The beach at the Ritz is way down a hill and generally too rough for snorkeling. By next summer the Kapalua Bay Hotel will be no more. Sheraton Maui has some snorkeling around Black Rock, but nothing special.
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM

We loved the Grand Wailea and the Wailea area in general. Great beaches, restaurants, places to stroll. The Kea Lani has those nice suites and a decent pool as well. So, that's my favorite choice on your list. Of course, the Four Seasons Maui gets rave reviews as well. I will be staying for the first time at the Hapuna Beach Prince next summer. - I'm excited! Turtle Bay Resort is on my short list when I get back to Oahu someday...
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM

For captaindolphin -
I'd go to Alaska! Not hard to get to from Hawaii - via Seattle especially. The southeastern part is so misty and cool in August, and be sure to take a trip on one of the ferries. Or you could go in February to Fairbanks for the ice sculpture contest and to see the northern lights. Different from Hawaii for sure, but so beautiful, and accessible!
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help, everyone

I am in the process of narrowing it down, and all of your "Rule Outs" have been very helpful. Right now it seems like Four Seasons Maui, Maui Prince, or Sheraton Maui have what I'm looking for (nice pool, swimmable beach with lounge chairs, snorkeling right there).

Once we get closer to making a 100% decision, I probably be asking for more advice!